Chapala.com Webboard

Moving to Ajijic, but not right now

Howdy All, 

This is my first post so bear with me please.   We have purchased a house in Ajijic (possession in April). 

Unfortunately we will not be able to live there for a while until we get our affairs in order back home.

We will probably need someone to check it out for us occasionally, and arrange for periodic cleaning, pay some bills, etc.  We will automate as many bills as we can but there will probably be some things that come up that need the attention of someone with feet on the ground.

I am thinking we need a property manager for this.  Does anyone have any experience or recommendation in this regard?

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Looking forward to a new experience.

Lynn Franklin

Roma Property Management successfully handles many properties here. Pays bills, can hire home workers, and has a good list of repairpeople should the need arise. Contact:

Verónica Martínez     romaajijic@yahoo.com.mx

www.romawebsite.com  tel 766-3163

It all depends on your property. Do you have a garden , will it be furnished etc..

I have a patio huse in Chiapas and I have a cleaning lady who comes once a week and no manager. I speak SPanish and communicate with her on a regular basis. She brings in workers when needed, pays my predial and water once a year and the bank pays CFE and phone. The house  is furnished. 

The other house has a large garden and I have security and pets and a pet sitter when I am not there.. It all depends on your needs but for me I do not need a manager . Everyone is different. 

Yes the house is furnished with a small garden.  We will automate payments to CFE/phone etc.  A house sitter would probably not work as we intend to come & go frequently & without much notice.  Your situation sounds ideal but we do not speak Spanish & finding someone we can trust & communicate with will be a priority.   Kudos to you for finding the perfect arrangement for your needs!

Talk to your neighbors and ask about their maids and gardners some of them may speak English and may be trustworthy and reliable.. or get someone like Roma to start with and then when you know you can trust your people maybe you can do without a manager.

I pay my maid something for paying my taxes or running errands when I am not here. It works great, she like the extra money and feels more in charge and responsible so it is a win win but as I said every case is different,: We leave months at a time so a house sitter where the pets stay is good for us and just the maid in the other house works fine too..

Good luck.

As soon as you can, try to have someone just drop by the house once a week or more with no particular schedule or regularity and stay for a few hours.  Maybe the prop management company would do it.  You have to assume the comings and goings to all houses here are known to those with good and bad intentions.  You are basically dropping a large diamond into a bed of gravel here. Wouldn`t you pick it up if your children had little food?  Thievery is unfortunately fairly commonplace here now.

Having a security system may or may not deter someone. So I would follow the advise above.  Where I live security systems for houses and cars go off regularly and people just say " oh it is someone's alarm".  The one I have has been prompt calling me when I have accidentally didn't close something.  So have some one designated to call if the alarm goes off.

Archived