Chapala.com Webboard

A need for madera dura

bdmowers

Woodworkers! Lend me your ears! I speak of a need for good hard wood. Nay! Not pino, not parota, not even encino.

I seek hardwoods not seen in most of the madererias here. Is there rosewood or other beautiful truly hard wood? I am wanting to make small things, actually they are small weaving tools like beaters and shuttles and such things so I do not need large pieces. But I want to make them of beautiful, hard woods. Can anyone steer me to a place that sells such woods?  Gracias.

There is a type of Mexican rosewood that starts out red and darken with age  I forget the name maybe something like granadillo., there is a Mexican one and a Brazilian one. The Brazilian one is higher priced because it stays red when the Mexican one turns very dark... I would go to Guadalajra for exotic wood or ask the carpenters in Ajijic where to get madera fina.Would the Mexican cedro work for weaving tools? I would think so.
I had heard of a place on Independencia in Guadalajara but that was a very long time ago and I do not remember anymore.There are  many different types of woods that would work but you are going to have to go to Guadalajara.

The brothers on the privada Guadalupe Victoria are very knowledgeable on wood and use all kinds of wood they recycle for their own work. They would know of a source.

BD come by our house, you have been before. I have Guava and Orange Wood - very strong, turns easily, but no dramatic grain. I also have lime, avocado and pomegranite, but they aren't so great for your purpose. If you can't use them, they will be be used for smoking meats. Phone first.

Chillin, thanks very much for responding, but it is the interesting grain and colors of the hardwoods I`m looking for. Happy smoking!

Had brunch with some friends today and he has a huge woodworking shop for his own amusement. I asked him where he would go for the kind of wood described in this thread and he got positively animated about this place. He and his wife have lived in Mexico for quite a while so, besides the choice and quality of the woods available, he was quite thrilled with their two kilns. This is the information he just sent me in an e-mail...

"The name of the Maderera is Tedima. http://www.tedima.com.mx   Woods from around the world.  all kinds of hardwoods.

Av. 5 de Mayo no. 440A

Directions :  pereferico sur left to Ave Vallarta turn right to Aviation turn right for a few blocks to 5 de mayo not well marked
turn right about 2 km or so on the right is 440A Tedima."

He also said they were very knowledgeable, spoke English and traveled the world to bring in the best of the best.
This information comes from Doug in Jocotepec and I've stashed it too for further reference. He knows his stuff.

I have tried to find the switch that turns off receiving messages. Cannot see it and didn`t flip that switch. Another glitch in the recent format change, undoubtedly.  I`m going to try to give you my email as a PM.

Ferret, I tried giving you a PM, but a message popped up that your inbox was full. Maybe another new format glitch.

2 minutes ago, Ferret said:

It most definitely is a glitch because my inbox is only 4% full with only 2 messages.

I'll try to contact Doug again and see if he can e-mail you instead.

Are we having any fun yet?

Oh, definitely!   Thanks, Ferret.

Ferret, do you mean new email?  I don`t, actually. Did Doug send it?  If he did he didn`t send it to the email I gave you.  (Sigh.)

I mean new e-mail and I copied and pasted YOUR e-mail address into the e-mail that I sent to him. This is getting to be a really bad joke.

OK. I will send you an e-mail from ME and copy Doug on it so that you can see his e-mail address.

Gosh, trying to help is tough sometimes but I am stubborn.

Thanks so much for your stubborness! You`ve been a great help.  (Got the email.)

Archived