Chapala.com Webboard

There's a food truck popping up in Ajijic occasionally these days. I was at a meeting a couple of weeks ago that they catered and while the fare was simple, it was really tasty. The truck was previously (occasionally) in front of Farmacia Guadalajara, but now two times I've seen it opposite Actinver near Donas Donuts. This location is super convenient to where I live.

Tried it today. I ordered the "Super Kamello" which was a pita filled with chopped beef, a little chopped bacon, then some yogurt or sour cream was provided, plus lettuce and tomato, plus a nice spicy salsa roja. It was tasty! They have various combinations. They also have stuffed grape leaves! Haven't tried those yet, but will soon, so long as they show up again. :P 

Encourage you to give them a taste if you're looking for something different. Nice people, too, and there's English there if you need it!

("Kamello" is a play on "Camello".)

35 minutes ago, Shelley Ronnfeldt said:

I wonder if by chance this is being operated by the same folks that had the little Arabic restaurant near Super Lake a couple of years ago.  Seems it was called Kamello's.  Hope so, as I loved that place.

I suspect so. The food sounds very familiar to what they served when open at that location. We were sorry when it closed, as we are fans of Middle Eastern fare.

If you're thinking of Wael who last had a Middle Eastern Restaurant near the Ajijic Plaza, no, he is still in the area but no longer involved in the food/restaurant business. Super nice guy who gets a great deal of modeling work in GDL and Vallarta.  I wish he did still have his restaurant, as we enjoyed many delicious meals  there.

I'm eager to try this new food truck.  Thinking it's what's for lunch tomorrow.

Valerie :)

Can be confusing, because Wael moved from Riberas to Paroquia across from the school in Ajijic, by the plaza, before he closed up. (Some years back, there was also a Camello in Ajijic; I think the sign painted on the wall is still there.) I don't recall a Kamellos in San Antonio.

1 hour ago, bradshoe said:

He's part of the Kabande family.  Claudia and Ana.  One of the relatives had the short lived restaurant in San Antonio next to the gelato store.

I suspected so......

2 hours ago, bradshoe said:

He's part of the Kabande family.  Claudia and Ana.  One of the relatives had the short lived restaurant in San Antonio next to the gelato store.

You are correct.  They are Palestinian/Mexicans, descendants of a family from Bethleham. Palestine.   Wael is an Egyptian by birth.

Went today for lunch and it was DELISH!  We had two different beef items (each came with a nice salad and a delicious dressing) and then shared a small order (6) of the grape leaves stuffed with flavored rice.  We took it to go as there were no more tables available for seating.  The flavor of the food was yummy, quick and pleasant service and the prices were right.  If I can figure out how to take a photo of the flyer with their menu, I'll do so and post it tomorrow.

Open Monday-Saturday 2-9.  I encourage you to give it a try.  We thought it was terrific and will be back.

Had occasion to see out Kamello's last Saturday night. Very, very tasty meat-filled tacos with a mild sauce, and yummy dolmades (stuffed grape leaves), plus small salads with a very nice dressing. Not cheap, but such is life these days. Will definitely go back.

• 2 months later...

Saw it today right across from Farmacia GDL and Donas Donuts where it has been positioned in the past.  They were open and doing business.  I thought the food was tasty when I went a while back.  While I don't mind ground beef in my food, my husband isn't too keen, so we haven't been back.

Archived