Chapala.com Webboard

Who else in Ajijic isn't getting trash pickup?

Mainecoons

Our wonderful Chapala government has apparently decided it is no longer going to pick up garbage in SE Ajijic.  Affected streets include 16 de Septiembre west from La Floresta, Constitution, Juan Alvarez, Aldama, the Privada.  We've had one trash pick up in two weeks, last Tuesday.  Today, it is nearly 3PM and the garbage is just sitting there.

In the mean time, our friends in Chapala, Riberas and San Antonio report no problems with service at all.  So we're sending our stuff to their places to get it picked up.

The excuse from Chapala is a broken trash truck.  Obviously it never occurs to them that maybe they should cover this by using another truck.  Amazing they can neither maintain their equipment or get it fixed in a timely manner.

So now in addition to having no street cleaning or repair here for some years now, we apparently can't even get the garbage picked up.  There was no problem in increasing our property taxes yet again though.  They never miss a beat on that one.

I'm trying to determine the extent of the area of no service.  Please post if you are having the same problem.

4 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Thanks.  No sign of them over here yet.  Have they missed any other pick ups for you?

It's been spotty over the last week.  We got a notice in the mailbox (in Spanish) which was a request to put out our garbage in the mornings instead of at night since there has been vandalism; breaking bags, etc., lately.  They suggested staying out and waiting until the garbage truck came.  Not a very realistic suggestion, since they come any old time during the day.  We put ours up on a high nail where the dogs don't get it.  Neither did vandals overnight last night.  Most of our neighbors do the same thing.  Always a pile of bags on the corner, though.

That's all I know.

I don't think this has anything to do with a nice tip or the workers whom we and most of our neighbors also tip nicely.

I think it has to do with the (mis)managers.

Five o'clock and there it all is out on the street.  Of course anyone who doesn't take it in will have it scattered all over the street shortly.

My wife took ours over to Chapala since she was going there and saw the trash truck busy making its usual rounds.

10 hours ago, Newjersey expat said:

We would have never had trash pick up if we did not pay them each week AND we are still in Ajijic.  La Canacinta  ( one pick up a week)

How much do you pay them?

In Guadalajara they pick up the trash 6 days a week,most people tip them a few pesos,some don't but their trash still gets picked up.

New Jersy is setting a bad example and losing all respect of the neighborhood. Bad move.  Just give them a tip at Christmas, when they leave an envelope for that purpose. The service is included in your taxes.

10 minutes ago, GeckoGretchen said:

This explains why La Floresta's garbage has been seeming quite a lot "fuller" than normal.  I know after a weekend of visitors things are normally extreme, but things are a little lopsided right now.  Has anyone heard the true reason for the sporadic service?

Doesn't La Floresta have or use their own or private service and are not picked up by the Ayuntamiento?

Archived