Chapala.com Webboard

Documentation needed to rent a place

IvyTrip

I've never heard of that before. It isn't a law, just a request by the real estate company. Why would a criminal background be checked with an SS number? Credit is usually checked with an SS number.

There are plenty of other places to rent.

No.  I certainly would not be handling out my social security number. Social number was NEVER intended to be form of ID.  When someone has that, they can get EVERYTHING about you.   The US system is incredibly invasive of people's privacy and the general population has been trained to comply.  This is Mexico.  Different world.  We have rented three times. No references. No background checks. Twice with no lease or deposit.  Look elsewhere.  Break out of the mold.  There are many options.

SS number? Never. Criminal background check? Somebody is pulling your leg or really does not want a tenant. Just doesn't happen. Copy of your permission to be in Mexico? Becoming a more common request.

Too many rental agencies and rental properties available to be subjecting yourself to that nonsense.

If I was intending to rent my house again I would first ask if they have rented here b/4? how many times? then ask for the references of all not just one. I made this error in not doing and lost unpaid rent money, thousands of dollars in damages to the home and thousands of dollars in stolen furniture. They moved out of the area only to return a few months ago and did most of the same things to a friend a month or so ago. That being said I see no reason why you as a renter can't ask for the same from the owner. Not all owners are  easy to get along with or will tell you what to expect that you can't see. Good luck 

Have rented 5 times in lakeside area, never a credit check or checks of any other kind, no documentation of any kind.  Nothing but the cash in hand and signed lease.

Guest bennie2

rented once here long term. no nothing except lots of security $ & lease. landlord did say he wanted a photocopy of my passport, he  never mentined it again even when collecting rent or resigning another lease. 

Archived