Chapala.com Webboard

carpinteria with a lathe?

bdmowers

Anyone know of a carpenter shop in San Antonio or Ajijic that has a lathe? I need some wood turned. Thanks.

bdmowers, At one time I might have thought so too, but upon checking out other shops here is what I found. There is a great difference between an acceptable finish product here and across the border. Most of Have Hammer customers are from across the border and expect a much better finish product then a typical rustic product. ( if the customer can recognize the difference ). There is a world of difference when the wood project requires staining, sealing and lacquer applications with hand sanding the entire project up to 4 even 6 times NOT JUST ONCE or TWICE and where tight joints are expected to last longer then a few months, H.H. will use totally dried lumber from to U.S. ( NO shirking or twisting ). A project that was made for me 7 years ago still looks like it was just made. The gringo guy I talked to at their original location did a great interview with me to find out exactly what I needed, wanted, expected and offered several suggesting. I knew then that I would be very happy and their customer for life. Just work out what quality you want and the price will be accordingly I'm sure. 

come volunteer at Have Hammers Carpentry School, the Rotary club donated some wonderful equipment a few years ago. They Have the equipment you need

i once had a quote done for a friend on a book case. 12 ft  x 6 ft, they said have hammers bid was 800 pesos to high. well they went with another local carpenter.

when finished he did use  termite resistant wood as requested, after three months the book  case sags,  he did not glue  or put the proper supports in.

it did not have a proper sealer and stain as quoted. 

if you want something done that it lasts, check your quote carefully.

they had to get the sag in the book fixed, the carpenter fixed for 600 pesos,

yes they saved 200 pesos,  but wrong wood, and headaches..

make sure you are getting the same quality wood, jointing.

some local carpenters are wonderful..

wayne

1 hour ago, dave0415 said:

I worked with HH from 2010 to 2012 when I had a time conflict. I recently rejoined them and I am impressed with the improvements in that time . They are as good or better than many shops here.

Hi Dave0415, Glad to see you are back. Time spent will Chilly Cook Off will be a big help to HH. 

Archived