Chapala.com Webboard

buying linen fabric

johs

The best store in Guad Centro (near the Cathedral) that I have found for natural fabrics, including real linen, is:

Parasina, Pedro Moreno # 402 in Colonia Centro, 333-613-4899.  Parasina is a chain of stores and there are many in Centro.

I say real linen because there is a type of acrylic fabric called "lino" that many stores have.   You have to explain you are looking for the natural fabric with no acrylics when you are asking for "linen".  There are perhaps 2 stores total in Guad Centro that have actual linen, or any other natural fabric, including cotton.

The other area for fabric is called Chapultepec. Too difficult for me to explain where that is or how to get there. But everyone knows the area.  I think the cross streets might be Chapultepec and Avenida de los Americas.  Others here may be able to correct me or direct you to the area. The fabric stores in this area have more natural fabric than Centro but are expensive.

Several stores do. Puerto Vera Cruz is one of them on Chapultepec on the left before you get to Av Mexico.

A couple of stores also have linen on Pedro Buzeta . the one with the most choices is CW something on Pedro Buzeta. It has its parking accross the store. I thought I had the number but I do not. I buy linen for artisans and that is the place. The cheapest pure linen is 187 a meter  (1.40m) and the better one is 290 something a meter. same width 1.40m. It is 2 or 4 blocks from Av Mexico on the left, the parking is on the right. You have a whole wall of it. SOme is pure linen some linen and cotton and some linen and synthetic.

Several stores do. Puerto Vera Cruz is one of them on Chapultepec on the left before you get to Av Mexico.

A couple of stores also have linen on Pedro Buzeta . the one with the most choices is CW something on Pedro Buzeta. It has its parking accross the store. I thought I had the number but I do not. I buy linen for artisans and that is the place. The cheapest pure linen is 187 a meter  (1.40m) and the better one is 290 something a meter. same width 1.40m. It is 2 or 4 blocks from Av Mexico on the left, the parking is on the right. You have a whole wall of it. SOme is pure linen some linen and cotton and some linen and synthetic.

The real and good linen is imported so it is not cheap , there is no such thing as cheap linen and with the peso dropping it is getting more expensive. Mexico does not produce linen..they make some.

The fabric area is in Santa Teresita , the CHapultepec area has fabric  that is imported and mostly for party dresses, wedding dresses etc.. The Santa Teresita area is where you should go. Forget Parasina for good linen choices.

They are around Manuel Acuña and the Santa Teresita Market on Andres Terán and Pedro Antonio Buzeta. You have to walk in that area as parking can be tough. 

I was asked to buy linen by several artisans as the selection in Chiapas is poor and a lot of what is called lino is not linen. I buy all imported 100%linen  of two quality for them and found out after much looking that the Centro Mercantil Villanueva was the best  for me. I buy 10 or 20 meters at a crack so I need a place that have inventory and a wide selection and of course a decent price. If you just buy for a blouse and find just the right thing smaller stores are ok . l

They were recommended to me by a seamstress and a cloth designer from Guadalajara.One thing about linen, if you see something you like buy enough as they do not always get more of the item you buy. They do not want to give you samples and the minimum order is 20 cm, too expensive to make a sample book. They do not code the fabric so keep a piece if yo want more of the same when you want to buy again.

The CMV is at 409 Pedro Antonio Buzeta between Manuel Acuña and another street I cannot remember the name of. Ther number is 333 826 4438. They have parking accross the street.Traffic and parking in the area are a pain.

When I was checking the area I parked at the Bodega Aurrera at the foot of Chapultepec as I wasnted to check the Parasina and Puerto VeraCruz and other stores in the area. The prices do not vary that much on the imported stuff but a few pesos make a different when you start buying large quantity.

There is a store a little further than CMW on Buzeta that has nice linen too . They are a little higher than CMV but they are very helpful and have a nice small selection.

I heard of a great manta store in the area but I did not go as we have lots of manta in Chiapas. Some from Chiapas and the fine one that comes from Puebla.

While you are in the area you can always have a fun luch at Karne Garibaldi on Garibaldi street.

Archived