Chapala.com Webboard

New format

johanson

Guest bennie2

rvgringo, i dont see a "cleaner" look. its busy w/all info of info. there is no way to delete PMs that i have seen. no way to get rid of the correspondence on my  profile. that is also public. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was literally kicked off the site.  Said it didn't recognize my post name.  Then, of course, it wouldn't let me register again because it said someone had that email.  I had to open up another gmail account to sign up. 

Guest bennie2

expect this for a next few weeks. not happy that the pubic can see my PMs or feed. it looks that way as the right side of my profile has all this stuff. hate the swirling circles. the notification window was clean now we see a moving circle, also no delete. about "smelling flowers", that a good idea. ill be going to a nursery later, if & when this page can load. COMLIMENTS TO THE DESIGNER: the muted blue is a nice soothing color. thank you for no popups & blinking lights.

This reminds me of Windows 8.1  which slowly got better and Win 10 which is or will be a lot better. And one of the big problems will be us getting used to the new format It took me 10 days to like Wind 10 over Win 7 and I'm betting and hoping that it will be the same here

Now my external software checked not the number of posts in the last 24 but in the last 25 hours and I am showing 91 as of 2 PM.  And that is not bad at all considering how short a time the new format has been up and running.

I'm thinking that with a little tinkering things might just be one whole lot better than what we used to have. , and once we learn how to use the new software, we might just have a winner. Time will tell.

The only trouble is I hit edit to correct an omission and nothing happened.  The omission was that after I pushed Submit Reply button, it seemed like I had to wait a very long time for the post to be made

17 hours ago, bennie2 said:

expect this for a next few weeks. not happy that the pubic can see my PMs or feed. it looks that way as the right side of my profile has all this stuff. hate the swirling circles. the notification window was clean now we see a moving circle, also no delete. about "smelling flowers", that a good idea. ill be going to a nursery later, if & when this page can load. COMLIMENTS TO THE DESIGNER: the muted blue is a nice soothing color. thank you for no popups & blinking lights.

The public can NOT see your PMs.

During this 25 hour period my external software showed a total of 81 new posts.  I will have to rewrite it to measure 24 hours

The 81 now 83 posts are the total number recorded as having been posted during the previous 25 hours on the Chapala Forum.

Dear Admin:
  Maybe it was posted somewhere else, but I couldn't wait 20 min for each page to load.  Will you be going back to the old format? This one is awful and not user friendly and I cannot even tell if I am signed on or not.  While I am sure some would be thrilled to never see my posts again, I can assure that if this site remains as it is, I would not be the only user to drastically decrease my visits to this site and only use it in the most dire of circumstances.

Knowing I am not the only one with such sentiments, why maintain the change in format (was it to save a bit of money?) if its so bad that advertisers will eventually discover users are no longer coming to this site? I'm sure the intentions were nothing but good behind the change, but the result is just...embarrassing and frustrating and given how easy it is for these issues to be corrected, or to revert to the previous format as many are requesting, reflects that whomever is in charge of "fixing" the issues is not adequately trained.  A problem like this should have been resolved in 2 days max with a knowledgeable person behind it.

Any word on if it will revert to the previous format? Its a commonly-used template for forums that overall is user friendly and works well.

Guest bennie2

there has been an improvement w/one feature- the manage notifications. nice clean easy page. now able to save, delete or unfollow. as for loading? this speed is not acceptable. when i attemped to sign in this morning it was around 10 mins before i got to see the thread. each transition was several mins. serendity6 i agree w/you.  sometimes the site wont even open, or we see the error page. used to be fun to check webboard between emails, twitter, videos. bounced back & forth. why cant we know who "likes" our posts? why cant we have "friends"? missed seeing the little photos. 

14 hours ago, moderator-2 said:

14 hours ago, moderator-2 said:

Well, I tried and tried to edit those quotes away and couldn't do it. I hope they go away after I send this.

Now for the real reason for this post: I'm pretty sure that I can read the private conversation between bennie2 and moderator-2. I tried to put this in a PM to mod2 but I couldn't figure out the PM function either. 

Mod2 look on your feed for what I tried to PM to you.

Guest bennie2

mattoleriver, thankyou for bringing this up. im sure MC will get on this issue. go back & check. which profile do the PMs appear, MCs or bennie2's? (my PM function works fine can send & receive, we all have different issues).

I use the wait time to perform daily chores. For example, I washed my breakfast dishes and tidied up the kitchen while waiting for the first topic to come onto the PC screen. While waiting to sign in, I made the bed. My home is much tidier because the long delays, but I am not happy with the Chapala web board.

Just as a curiosity (and possibly to help the guru's fix the speed thing):  There is a Post above suggesting a 20 minute wait between page loads. I am experiencing NO WHERE near this kind of performance. I notice that the initial load (like when I choose which forum topic I want to view) takes a bit longer than when I just read various topics in a Forum. So maybe 8 seconds for the former and 5 seconds for the latter. On extremely rare instances, I will have to wait 20 seconds for something to appear anywhere.

What are others experiencing in this regard?

What happened to the line at the bottom of the page, which allowed clicking on “chapala.com, webboard, topic name, etc.“?  It was initially missing, then appeared and was useful for a few days, but is now gone again.  Now we have to scroll back up to the top of the page to click on Chapala.com to get back to the board.  HOME is also gone again.

Archived