Chapala.com Webboard

New format

johanson

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It now takes me 15 minutes to see and scroll thru the latest posts.  Not for me.  I usually look at this while doing something else mindless. So for a late night activity, maybe this would work, but I won't be checking a time or two during the day because of the slowness.

Same here.  I miss the old system, especially the speed.  I think I'll check in on occasion to see if it's picked up speed, and maybe I'm a little impatient........but this is the kind of thing that is not a pleasure.  Please.....could we have the old system back, with its speed??  Please?:(

A contrarian view from an ole X-IT professional.... who got to/had to do these upgrades many times for the people he said were his 'customers'.

Change is never easy. I must admit that I have never seen anyone spring change on users like this one was.... not even the Moderators knew it was coming. But....

For the most part, speed or lack thereof not included, I don't have a real problem with the 'new' website. A couple of people have put out hints as to how to do something that used to be done differently, which I for one appreciate. More hints will come soon I'm sure.

In the mean time, I'll just plug along enjoying comments and information that Posters have provided. Not the end of the world for me. Two other sites available while the dust settles here. The speed issue will get resolved sooner than later (or the owner will find his site abandoned by hordes. 

I realize that YMMV, but for me it's not the worst thing that has ever happened. Even better in some/many ways.

I was told they brought in an additional message board expert to help straighten this out.  I see a lot of value in it, particularly with integrating the classified and there are some great new moderating tools that will help us help you guys better.  Please be patient and hang in there.

I would like to congratulate the designers on their new format. Once the kinks are out it will be fabulous.

For everyone else, be patient. It takes a while for new web sites to work its way through the system. That includes all the different formats used by different browsers (IE, Firefox, google etc etc etc), and to work out the kinks...you will soon get the hang of it.

Not only slow..but inefficient I think  IMHO         It is using my old..3 yrs ago...email yahoo!!!  Now that sucks...I have been gmail for 3 yrs and all functioning well.

This along with the gossipy rumours is enuf to count me out....      Hope it gets fixed, cuz this is not working..........

This explains why, during the last few days while I was up in the U.S., I couldn't even get to the postings. I was beginning to think there was some kind of IP restriction for "out of country" readers, but of course that would make the site redundant.

I agree that there is far too much blank space. Website "white space" is an oxymoron, like "jumbo shrimp". There is so much extra space here, it detracts from the legibility. The software reminds me of many new "hip" interfaces that have implemented change for the sake of itself. Like the Start menu in Windows 10 (not the tiles, but the actual list of All Programs or All Apps, which now takes twice as long to skim through when looking for a program).

The previous software was very slow at updating the screen. This could have been a function of the servers being used... just not very fast. Now, it's ridiculous. Painful, even.

There is chatboard software that is free, that is supported by the open-source community with constant updates, and that includes heavy-duty moderator tools. I highly doubt that our board will ever revert back to what it was, considering the amount of effort that has to go into transferring the data from one source to another. I do find it kind of a shame that this particular board is costing Coldwell at least $30/month for an inferior design.

Guest bennie2

everything good&workable on the internet comes to an end. noone can leave anything alone. my on line suscription newspaper is not supported by my old browser. i cant see the type, when made bigger the page cuts in half. same w/other sites. one was changed to "mobile"- i only get 20% of it on laptop, the freedom to regulate the acct is gone. then this site became an unwelcome office job. i was spending much too much time online, this may be a blessing in disguise. now since bennie2 is back, well the thrill is semi gone. i refuse to upgrade browser or be bossed around by a machine. everything happens for a reason. maybe we need to save our eyesight? 

It must be warming up because the molasses is starting to trickle a little better.

Some interesting quirks...

1) You have to click on the TITLE of the post and then go to (say) page 3. If you just click on the page 3 icon in the title it does boodiddleysquat even though putting your cursor over the page 3 icon says "go to page 3".

2) When I just went to reply to this post, another box popped up saying "enter code"...I just clicked it off and continued with this reply...but, if somebody nasty knew code I think that might be a problem...don't know, just sayin'

Thank you to whomever is working in the background on this to bring it up to speed (pun intended).

Love the new classified section.

BTW, as I pm'd to Gringal yesterday, are our warning points going to be held against us forever? Even criminals get parole. Surely they could disappear after 5 years?...that would make me have only 1 warning instead of 3. Just askin'.

Guest bennie2

my profile "about me" disappeared. i put some of it back but because the site is so exhausting i forgot who i am. im having an online identity crisis. as for the "edit" feature, a blank box pops up. thats it. no way to correct typos, spelling, or to re word for clarity. this is a very important feature. i noticed the mods disabled the notification if someone likes your post? why is that? bennies "friends" disappeared. i had 12. 

Oh relax folks the board will get better over time. Give them a chance. Yes it could have been done better but so what lets go forward not backwards.  I am sure they have good reasons for changing things.  Things do change folks!!  This is not an easy thing to do so please have some sympathy rather than my world has changed well yes it has.

OK????

I finally found my password and had the time to sign in.  Now, I can see what others have been talking about.

The speed is the critical problem. I do not have the patience to wait as each step is so painfully slow. I just open and read the main forum and have to be really motivated to reply. Reading the other forums and exploring things like editing makes me want to toss my iPad across the room. Just opening a thread and going to the third page takes more time than I have patience for.

I will continue to check in, especially to this thread, while I wait for things to get better before I work on acceptance.

Guest bennie2

the reason internet sites change is about control. usually it is for the worse. why assume there is a logical reason? a member here said they have "too much time on thier hands"- as i said, in last few months many websites have become unreadable. my assumption is that its about business, paying for more devices/applications what ever. no site except my email is that important. in this case, i dont have a clue as to why the change, except it keeps some folks busy. why cant they put the old site back & move on? this is supposed to be about mexico not technology. 

I am active on several boards. All but this one load instantly. Chapala.com has always been erratic and slow to load. Now, in spite of a cleaner look, it has gone from bad to worse and will probably suffer an even greater loss of readership. I see no excuse for this “work in progress“ excuse.  Richard & Dick Tingen, What were you thinking?  Hire someone who knows what they are doing.....please!  

First time with new format.  suddenly my display name changed to my previous sign in name.  Want my original display name back Any ideas?

Archived