Chapala.com Webboard

Adelita's - What's it like now?

Carnivore

I like Adelita's, but we no longer go there on days when a long wait (for service, not for seating) would be problematic -- like if we're going to a movie afterward. They are often quite slow these days. I haven't noticed a decrease in food quality, however.

We also went recently to see for ourselves and, sadly, as so often happens the "cracks" are beginning to show.  Indifferent owner who....while present..... doesn't appear to have even the slightest concern about what's actually happening in the restaurant; crowded and noisy ; they ran of side plates for bread and also ran out of wine glasses.  Overcooked chicken breast and chicken wings have a very "unusual" hot sauce coating.....Nothing like original chicken wings where for 50 years "Frank's Hot Sauce" has been the rule in the rest of North America.  Fries overcooked and greasy.  

When they first reopened we thought that they had a good chance of being "on top of the heap" in the local restaurant scene.

What they do have is a couple of extremely good waiters.......but it's very apparent that they (the waiters) can't be faulted for indifferent management.

And for those who rave about the place it's likely because they go on a Tuesday when the restaurant is definitely not making money on food and have to totally depend on their sale of alcoholic beverages to even break even.  We heard people saying that they only go to Adelita's on a Tuesday when they can order two full orders of ribs and have enough left over for at least another dinner at home and perhaps even enough for an additional lunch.

So, time will go by and things will eventually change....or they won't

The decor is stunning, and some of the wait staff are exceptional,  but the food, and service, is hit and miss. In January, I became very ill from something I ate there. It took me a month and a half to go back. This time I ordered the chicken wings, something I have enjoyed many times there. They were so poorly prepared... greasy, spongy skin, virtually no sauce...that I wouldn't order them again. I won't be back for a while, again. I very rarely eat out, so when I do, I'd like to have a good meal. 

After the reno, I really thought that they could give the other restaurants some real competition, and most likely come out on top. Now, I am not sure. Too many times, the food and service don't live up to the decor.

Went Saturday evening around 7:15. Very happy that the music now starts later on Saturdays; it kept us from going before (Blue Jay Slim was on at 8:30), so we could talk while enjoying our meal. I finally had the much talked-about ribs: a full rack. First true full rack I've had at any restaurant here, and it was big. And perfectly cooked. Friend had the hot watermelon salad special, which had lots of nifty ingredients. And I ordered the bruschetta as an appetizer, which is very tasty. Friend also had the eggplant and pasta.

Service was excellent, with a new young fella named Daniel, who was very chipper and spot on. And I have to say that, while all the items were good, nothing particularly grabbed me.The homemade buns are tasty, and I appreciated the softened garlic butter, but it was saltless. BBQ sauce on the ribs was probably homemade, but lacking in flavour. Watermelon salad, similar. Egglplant? A huge portion, with a pasta side, but little flavour.

I guess the very pleasant surroundings and the very nice plating of the dishes suggested I should expect more. There is absolutely nothing to complain about, but I couldn't get excited, either. All in all, a happy experience.

• 6 months later...

Ate there Saturday. Very busy place, but they have trained their service staff well. We mostly opted for lunch-type meals: blue cheese burger, portobello burgers, and a vacio for one of us. A very nice and large cut of vacio, perfectly done, very tasty. The blue cheese burger is a sight to behold, piled high with all kinds of stuff including very crunchy and tasty onion rings. Probably too much blue cheese, but why would I want to complain about getting "too much" anywhere around here? That burger was deelish. And, as I usually do, I tried the meat without anything on it. It was a poor-looking gray thing, no crisp to it at all, but it did have spices in the meat, which elevates a burger from being just a plain piece of ground. At 125 pesos, it came with an absolute ton of spiced french fries, and it was so loaded I didn't mind the price, because I was stuffed.

A small spinach salad as a side turned out to be bigger than most restaurants' full salad (you listening, Arileo?), and with the homemade and very light croutons, it too was covered in too much cheese for my partner (not complaining, no sir). A good deal saltier than most peoples' tastes, but a really, really good salad.

Their crab cakes are still quite good, with a little slaw on the side. The two portobello burger eaters were impressed, especially with the sesame bread being used instead of a wimply burger bun. Again, loads of fries came with each. You cannot want for portions at Adelita's.

I think with the recent rise in prices of ingredients, and the cost of gasoline in Mexico these days, the prices are justified. Plus, the place continues to look great since the overhaul. Music is starting at 8:30, which is much better than the 7 start times they used to have. There was a 30p cover charge, which never even made it near our bill, as we left just at start time... which was a relief: no hassle about that.

All four of us agreed that, this night, we had a pretty darned good time at Adelita.

Addendum for real burger people: the burger patty itself was twice as thick as anything seen around here. It was mixed a little too much, which made the texture too smooth... sort of like an overmixed meatloaf, yeah?

We are VERY glad to hear that the music start time has been pushed to further in the evening.  We do not enjoy band music with our meals and conversation.  Our last 3 trips there we had to drive on by and go to Tango.  Once it was just the 2 of us, once we were a party of 6 and last week a party of 5.  Dining out is getting harder to find.  Pedro's GO now has music twice a week, Tuesday and Thursday.  At least he's left some nights for dining with conversation.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived