Chapala.com Webboard

San Antonio malecon

cedros

I hear there is a new and improved malecon in San Antonio. I forget what street you go down to get to it. Can someone tell me please?

I hear there is a new and improved malecon in San Antonio. I forget what street you go down to get to it. Can someone tell me please?

Go down San Jose which is about a block or so west of the SA plaza. Also, just at sunrise there are thousands of yellow-headed blackbirds that leave the reeds and head east for the day for feeding -- quite a show. In the sun the heads seem to glow with an orange/gold sheen.

Go down San Jose which is about a block or so west of the SA plaza. Also, just at sunrise there are thousands of yellow-headed blackbirds that leave the reeds and head east for the day for feeding -- quite a show. In the sun the heads seem to glow with an orange/gold sheen.

Thanks for the tip on the birds. I've seen them in the morning at sunrise heading west. From my patio they looked like a black cloud moving across the sky. Went down to the SAT malecon at sunset tonight and watched them come in for the night. There must be tens of thousands nesting in the beautiful reeds along the shoreline. Great wetland for the birds.

We are on the edge of the lake in west Ajijic and see these birds fly from west to east every night at sunset. Clouds of them. When we rented in Chulavista Norte last year we often wondered down to San Antonio malecon for bird watching and nice walk. Now we can watch from our back yard.... such a treat.

It seems that there are at least two different flocks that are coming out of the reeds in the morning each with its respective destination. The ones I see in San Antonio arise from the reeds about 200 meters SW of the lakeside end of San Jose and they fly into the orange early morning sun giving the orange/gold sheen to their heads and necks. Once past me each looks like a plain black bird.

This morning they went airborne at 7:28. To see the color best you have to have the sun at your back and the birds flying toward you. (Haven't been bombed yet!)

It seems that there are at least two different flocks that are coming out of the reeds in the morning each with its respective destination. The ones I see in San Antonio arise from the reeds about 200 meters SW of the lakeside end of San Jose and they fly into the orange early morning sun giving the orange/gold sheen to their heads and necks. Once past me each looks like a plain black bird.

This morning they went airborne at 7:28. To see the color best you have to have the sun at your back and the birds flying toward you. (Haven't been bombed yet!)

Very much appreciate the information. I plan on being down for sunrise within the week for some photos. Always love the magic of the lake.

Very much appreciate the information. I plan on being down for sunrise within the week for some photos. Always love the magic of the lake.

You probably already know that getting good photos of these birds could be difficult -- it might take a little preliminary practice/experimentation. Many cameras cannot do what our eyes do effortlessly; that is, they make subtle adjustments to get a clear, detailed color shot of a dark bird with a light colored head superimposed on a light sky, ... and they'll be moving. You'll have about a minute or so to do it. It could be a challenge even with an SLR. If you get some good ones please post for all to see.

Archived