Chapala.com Webboard

Volaris Airlines

kosika

Anyone had experience with Volaris Airlines? Their online reviews are terrible, but most people don't comment if their experience was good, just when it is bad.

I will be taking a nonstop flight from Chicago to Guad and I will have my dog with me.

My other choices are AeroMexico and Delta.

Thanks,

Kat

Recent trip to Phoenix: Four hour delay returning from Phoenix, they strung us along instead of just telling us how late the plane would be. Friend of ours had a group coming from Chicago, plane was cancelled on a moments notice after the group had all gone to the airport from Indiana, no hotel vouchers provided.

We need Carlos to take this airline back and fix it.

Anyone had experience with Volaris Airlines? Their online reviews are terrible, but most people don't comment if their experience was good, just when it is bad.

I will be taking a nonstop flight from Chicago to Guad and I will have my dog with me.

My other choices are AeroMexico and Delta.

Thanks,

Kat

Trip nonstop to San Jose, CA. Good prices, no problems.

Flight to L.A., half the price of other airlines, very professional amd courteous staff. On time, no delays.

Last trip fight was to leave at 8:30 am. Departure didn't happen until around 1:30 p.m. People were piled up at the airport. No explanation given. No alternates offered to book passengers on other fights, other airlines, or vouchers given for a different day, no food, nothing. I say this is pretty terrible. We finally learned their computer system was down and they couldn't check anyone in. This dependence on technology is pretty pitiful and there is no back up plan. Airlines used to function without computer systems and people could get to their destinations.....

This is crappy customer service. Yes, the prices are fairly low. This is is the only reason we still use them, but if there was an alternative competitive choice, we would use it.

Over the past few years I've flown Volaris to/from Chicago, Denver and Sacramento. All flights were fine....all we sold out. I've learned to spend a few more pesos for extra services such as reserved seating and bringing a carry-on bag on board. I've not flown with a pet. Be certain to arrive extra early for check-in since lines are long and move slowly. I arrive 3 hours before ETD, then enjoy a leisurely meal at the airport. It is nice when visiting Chicago to avoid O'Hare. However, security lines move very slowly when departing Midway. Allow extra, extra time.

Being a discount airline, Volaris does not use attached gangways at most airports. Instead, passengers are bused out to the plane. You must be able to go up and down stairs while toting any carry-on luggage. Usually I am one of the few gringos on any of the Volaris flights I've taken. Before take-off I make a point of offering gum to all of the people around me.and make instant friends for the rest of the trip. It does seem to take Volaris forever and a day to get the luggage to the airport carousels. Be patient.

It seems they are now charging $39.99 each way for checked luggage. That can have a serious effect on price. We have flown them several times in the past with no problems. However with this baggage charge it may not be as cheap as before. I just booked a round trip ticket non stop from San Francisco to Guadalajara on Aeromexico which includes 2 carry-ons and 1 checked bag up to 50lbs for $275.19!

We have flown Volaris twice and it has been very good both times. They have direct flights to more places in the US than any of the other airlines and the price is usually considerable cheaper. They have a lot of addons that they try to sell, but if you stay with no frills the price is good. They also have very new airplanes, generally much better than the ones American or Delta fly here.

As mentioned, they have direct flights to quite a few places, but the are often only several days a week, so you may have to adjust your schedule for that. We recently went to Tulsa, where they don't fly, but flew to Dallas on Volaris and rented a car for a week for less than it would have cost us to fly to Tulsa. We of course had to drive from Dallas to Tulsa, but had a car during our trip basically for free.

We only fly Volaris from Guad to L.A. direct flight early night. No water, no coke, no snack, no anything. You have to use your credit card. Also if you want to pick a seat before you get to the airport there is a charge. If there were any other direct flights at the time I need them, I would fly another airline. Volaris is nickel dime.

Some things to know about with Volaris and many airlines.

Domestic and international may have different policies for example luggage.

Just flew Domestic Volaris a few weeks ago and one check in was free and free carry on was half size of normal carry on suitcase.

All bags were weighed and even carry on has a weight limit.

Watch the checks when you buy a ticket as they will charge you for stuff you might not want. Look at the details. Or Visa Versa.

They even described as we were getting off the plane how they are the budget airlines and everything is an option. Kinda sounded like United " we want to be less bad" comment.

They did give us water.

Much prefer Interjet and hope that Southwest comes to Guad someday (saw southwest in Cancun) but would fly Volaris again. Its not the airline it use to be but the price is right!!

I had company fly to/from Dallas to Guad in November and they loved Volaris. They knew about no food/water and brought it on board with them. They said the overhead is much bigger than other airlines and the seats were roomier. Service was excellent. ON time and it took no time to get their luggage at baggage claim.

When I flew to PHX on Volaris a few weeks back they included one checked baggage but only two small "personal" items carried on board. Among other things, this really sped up boarding as few people tried to wrestle the usually oversized/overweight carry on bags. They are charging $39 U.S. for a second checked bag each way, pretty pricey IMO.

However without Volaris breaking the monopoly we would still be paying twice as much or more to many destinations in the U.S. includig PHX and DFW, the ones we usually use. Before Volaris, the other carriers happily gouged us for flight distances that carry far lower fares when there is competition.

So it is a mixed bag for the traveler. We appreciate they have largely broken up the high fare monopoly on these routes. But no one would confuse this airline or flying in general these days as enjoyable or luxury travel.

Watch the checks when you buy a ticket as they will charge you for stuff you might not want. Look at the details. Or Visa Versa.

Absolutely, We had not traveled with Volaris for a good while. So I didn't realize they changed the web site. First you get to choose things like "reserve seat" etc , all have charges, but the way it is set up it looks like to have checked for check on baggage and the charge is$39.00. Well I wasn't happy about that but didn't know there was a choice. Later as I am scrolling down I see there is a free bag you can check in . I couldn't get it to erase, I was tired. So it ended up we paid 39 X4 because this was round trip.

So far not had a problem with it being on time. But my daughter visited and they lost her and several other people's luggage.

Three days of daily calling produced nothing. So I called and said she had a medical condition and needed her meds. ( well she has mild asthma) that afternoon luggage delivered.

Last trip fight was to leave at 8:30 am. Departure didn't happen until around 1:30 p.m. People were piled up at the airport. No explanation given. No alternates offered to book passengers on other fights, other airlines, or vouchers given for a different day, no food, nothing. I say this is pretty terrible. We finally learned their computer system was down and they couldn't check anyone in. This dependence on technology is pretty pitiful and there is no back up plan. Airlines used to function without computer systems and people could get to their destinations.....

This is crappy customer service. Yes, the prices are fairly low. This is is the only reason we still use them, but if there was an alternative competitive choice, we would use it.

I was on an 8 AM that day. We left at 2 PM. No info. No help. No nothing.

That being said, Volaris is still the best of the worst.

In spite of all their regulations and "We are absolutely never wrong attitude," most flight s are without incident, which in today's travel world constitutes an excellent flight.

I use them a lot, but never before checking all other alternatives.

Often best flight from Chicago to GDL is AeroMexico red-eye, but at my advancing age am not really able to handle red-eyes any longer.

Delta probably best alternative of non-direct flights, all still customs, immigration luggage movement, etc, all in not-final location. My experiences with all three, Delta, American and Continental were usually not worth the extra price over Volaris.

So, Volaris it is.

Remember, suppliers always try to satisfy demand!

BULL-O-KNEE!

Airlines, like all companies, care about things other than their bottom line only do so when one or another of those things affect that botom line in a negative direction.

Customers are usually without recourse.

I use them all the time roundtrip to Houston, Tx. They are great on this route. Almost always on time. When you book your ticket on line you can purchase an option that they will be on time within an hour or they give you money towards travel - forget how much. I've found them to be much better than United on this route and at a fraction of the cost.

Flew Volaris PV to Cancun at a great price last week. On time. One bag free - second bag was 100 pesos NOT $39.95 as other poster posted. Flying them back to PV tomorrow. I had a great flight. Go for it!

If you go on their web site you will see the first page says choose a package and the Basic one costs 35.99 USD. per person per trip

If you go down further you can choose 1 check in and it is free. 2 bags are 59.98 USD . You must have signed up on a good day.

Archived