Chapala.com Webboard

Richard's Restaurant Redux

ComputerGuy

It's been a while since we hit Richard's in Chapala (address easily searchable on this board), so for our Valentine's dinner, I made reservations for Saturday night.

I don't think the prices have gone up at all, except for a shrimp dish. Richard's has, by far, the most comfortable chairs of any restaurant around here. And they don't mind you lingering, because they only do one service per table per night. You are brought some nifty homemade breadsticks (tall and thin and crunchy) with an aioli for dipping while you peruse the menu.

Soup or salad is always included, and this weekend it was roasted beet soup. I have never even heard of such a thing, but by the second slurp, I was all in. The salad is generous with a nice oil/vinegar dressing. We don't do alcohol, but wine is cheap, and you can bring your own for a small corkage. My main course was another new one to me: British steak. This was a rolled steak, marinated in Worcestershire, A1, and other sauces, and while not a huge portion (I am a steak monster), it was plenty... and it was cooked perfectly and was very tender.

Friend had the shrimp thermidor which was very large shrimp swimming in a deelish sauce. We skipped dessert, which was just as well, because with our bill we were presented with two large fresh strawberries dipped in dark chocolate. At $120 for the steak and $140 for the shrimp, we were pretty satisfied, in particular because you also get your choice of sides: rice pilaf, ratatouille, or cheese scalloped potatos. Oh, I also tried their take on garlic bread as an appetizer, even though we had breadsticks. A bolillo sliced up and slathered with chunks of garlic and butter. Yum.

• 10 months later...

After discovering that Richard's opened up again in November, we went there for dinner a couple of weekends ago. Hugh is now the sole proprietor and cook, and he is doing the place proud. I have to say that the food tastes even better than it did. I've had the steak and mushroom pie before, and it was good, but Hugh has managed to source an even better quality of steak, and it is tender and delicious. The gravy in the chicken pot pie was better, too. I ordered, as I always do, the soup of the day, which was quite tasty. Accompanied by the standard serving of hot thin breadsticks, and followed by the chocolate pot, I have to say Richard's Restaurant continues to stand out as excellent value in an area besotted with so-so places.

• 1 month later...

Archived