Chapala.com Webboard

When is Jocotepec's Blueberry Season?

So when is the blueberry season for Jocotepec? And which farms should I visit and what is their location. Also, is there a special time period when the public can go in and pick them themselves? There is a popular you tube video showing a family visiting the area and they go to the raspberry farms there. We would like to take our family to the blueberry farms. Thanks!

Here is the video of a family visiting the raspberry farms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKpXUtncr00

As far as I know no blueberries are grown at Jocotepec. The ones sold locally come from Michocan. Ask the vendors and that is what they will tell you.

Berries are enormous commercial enterprises locally -- Not at all the "pick your own" farms NOB . This family didn't go 'berry picking ' as you might know it . Being fluent in Spanish they simply drove into one of the large farms & the very rancher kindly accommodated their family.

Last week,the blue berries in front of "Paz" not "la PAZ" liquor store were only 40pesos /liter. Usually they are 50-70 pesos. the rasberries were 20 and strawberries were 25. This time I didn't see any black berries. No the blue berries are not grown on the south shore but the other berries are. One does not have to go to Jocotepec to buy berries. Since I go to Paz liquors about once a week,that's were I get my berries or at the Chapala mercado. Nothing like 2 or 3 different kinds of berries in yogurt for breakfast.

Last week,the blue berries in front of "Paz" not "la PAZ" liquor store were only 40pesos /liter. Usually they are 50-70 pesos. the rasberries were 20 and strawberries were 25. This time I didn't see any black berries. No the blue berries are not grown on the south shore but the other berries are. One does not have to go to Jocotepec to buy berries. Since I go to Paz liquors about once a week,that's were I get my berries or at the Chapala mercado. Nothing like 2 or 3 different kinds of berries in yogurt for breakfast.

The OP was asking about blueberries in Jocotepec, not Chapala, so I assume Joco isn't too far for that person.

The OP was asking about blueberries in Jocotepec, not Chapala, so I assume Joco isn't too far for that person.

The OP was asking about blueberry "farms" , none of which are near Jocotepec nor anywhere near the lake so if the OP happens to be near San Antonio where Paz Liquors is located that would be far easier to get to blueberries for sale and closer than Jocotepec. In addition, the youtube video they posted didn't have the family picking the "rasberries" just buying them from the source farm. To my knowledge Driscoll which owns almost all these berry farms does not allow the public to pick them,which consist of strawberries,blackberries and rasberries only. I take it by your handle that you live in Jocotepec so yes it is easy for you to buy berries there. A considerable number of us live closer to San Antonio and Chapala where we can walk or take a short bus trip and not have to drive ,sometimes over half an hour, over a million topes just to buy some berries. I don't drive so would never ask friends to take me to Jocotepec for berries.

• 2 months later...

Well, I finally got my answer.  Blueberry season is NOW !  I live in Chapala, and I usually only see blueberries at like Super Lake or outside that liquor store next to Super Lake.  For the past 5 years I don't recall seeing people ever selling blueberries up and down Madero Ave. in Chapala.  Well, this year I have seen quite a few tables of people selling blueberries and when I asked them where they are grown, thinking they were going to say Michoacán or someplace, instead they told me that they come from a farm in Jocotepec.  Also, for those that are waiting for the famed Pitaya cactus fruit that are soooooo delicious, they finally arrived and are being sold along the Main street in Chapala, look for the guy selling fruit out of a basket.  Get them while they last!  The pitaya is not to be confused with the slightly similar fruit of Pitahaya which are called dragon fruit in grocery stores NOB.  The pitaya are round, ball-shaped fruit, different from the long shaped Pitahaya.  And the inside consistency is also different.  Both equally are delicious but I prefer the Pitayas !

Good luck on your Saskatoon berries.  I had never heard of them before so I looked them up.  They sound pretty cool.  Although, they are a totally different plant than blueberries, they look quite similar in photos.  It said that although they are a little seedier and may not be as sweet as blueberries (depending on the plant, every plant produces different tasting fruit) they are still a great berry to grow and that they love a lot of sunshine.....so maybe this area will be great to grow them.

Driscoll's website contains information which may be useful.

This link is a bio of Carmen Perez, whose family farms 59 acres of 

strawberries, raspberries and blueberies in Las Adoberas, an area just north of Jocotepec.

Driscolls does not 'own' all of it's own farms. BerryMex is a local outfit that grows/packs for Driscoll.

http://www.driscolls.com/about/art-of-growing/our-farmers/carmen-perez

On that same page is a link "Availability Calendar" which shows when each of the 4 types of berries

are available in each of their growing regions.

Rancho la Salud has blackberries for the month of May for $35 pesos/ 1/2 kilo; got some last week and they were big, sweet and nicely ripe. They also have blackberry syrup and jam/spread, ginger beer and a tumeric/ginger tonic.

Rancho la Salud is just past Arileo's on the left going to Joco.

Well, to be honest, the blueberries we bought on Madero Ave the other day weren't the greatest.  It was so hot the other day when we were out walking, that I think the sun fried our brains.  We didn't really bother to even look at the berries that closely, we just bought them, and then hurried home to get out of the heat.  When we got home we noticed that they had been sitting out in the sun probably too long, they were shriveled like raisins and were not very sweet and they were full of stems and dried berry parts.  My mother claimed they had a slight rancid taste to them.  So, instead of throwing them out I cleaned them up real good and removed the stems and made the best agua fresca out of them.  They weren't very good to eat but with a little sugar and water they made an excellent blueberry juice.  It was the first time I've ever made a blueberry juice, blueberries are so expensive in the States, that if you buy a small container of them you don't dare waste them to make a juice (considering you need quite a few of them to make a pitcher of juice.)

But to be fair, since then I've noticed some real nice looking containers of blueberries being sold on the Ave.  Just make sure they haven't been cooked in the sun too long when you buy them!

On 2/15/2016 at 11:53 AM, ned small said:

The OP was asking about blueberry "farms" , none of which are near Jocotepec nor anywhere near the lake so if the OP happens to be near San Antonio where Paz Liquors is located that would be far easier to get to blueberries for sale and closer than Jocotepec. In addition, the youtube video they posted didn't have the family picking the "rasberries" just buying them from the source farm. To my knowledge Driscoll which owns almost all these berry farms does not allow the public to pick them,which consist of strawberries,blackberries and rasberries only. I take it by your handle that you live in Jocotepec so yes it is easy for you to buy berries there. A considerable number of us live closer to San Antonio and Chapala where we can walk or take a short bus trip and not have to drive ,sometimes over half an hour, over a million topes just to buy some berries. I don't drive so would never ask friends to take me to Jocotepec for berries.

Hmmm......well it looks like the OP DID find out that blueberries are grown in Joco, ned small!  (check his response right below your original answer!)

15 hours ago, suegarn said:

Hmmm......well it looks like the OP DID find out that blueberries are grown in Joco, ned small!  (check his response right below your original answer!)

The "farm" that sells them on the south shore around the bend from Jocotepec get's them from Michoacan. The OP only heard but didn't experience. so that's not like "finding out". I "found out" in a similar fashion, from the trustworthy vendor in front of Paz Liquors. I didn't give him a leading question,I merely asked where they came from. It's not important to me where they came from really, as that has nothing to do with how nice it is to get them at a reasonable price and how tasty they are. I only asked when the question was raised on this board by the OP. I'm going to have some now with Greek yogurt,  and you suegarn?

16 hours ago, suegarn said:

The availability calendar and the growing regions say blueberries are grown in Central Mexico but it doesn't list exactly which towns. I guess they can grow blueberries here but they would need to change the soil or add a lot of nitrogen. They might be able to grow them in Tapalpa if pine trees grow there and cause the soil to be more acid.

Not specific to Blueberries (actually, they are not even mentioned) but the link below goes to a chart where you can see in which months you can buy your favorite fruit at its best in Mexico, and at the lowest price.

http://sparks-mexico.com/costalegre/fruit/calendar.htm

On 5/10/2016 at 9:39 AM, puro guero said:

Driscoll's website contains information which may be useful.

This link is a bio of Carmen Perez, whose family farms 59 acres of 

strawberries, raspberries and blueberries in Las Adoberas, an area just north of Jocotepec.

Driscolls does not 'own' all of it's own farms. BerryMex is a local outfit that grows/packs for Driscoll.

http://www.driscolls.com/about/art-of-growing/our-farmers/carmen-perez

On that same page is a link "Availability Calendar" which shows when each of the 4 types of berries

are available in each of their growing regions.

So. what about this answer, ned small?  Would this be considered close enough to Jocotopec for you?  And yes, I have blueberries every morning with yogurt, thank you very much!

On 5/10/2016 at 9:39 AM, puro guero said:

Archived