Chapala.com Webboard

Automobile prices

John Galt

I think this is a very good discussion with great input from people who have done this on their own. Thanks to everyone for those comments.

We tend to like to do things ourselves as we have found it beneficial economically and feeling a bit more independent. Of course, there is also benefit to hiring someone. It's a matter of how a person wants to get things done.

At this point, we are open to suggestions on what type of car is best and why. I do see many like the Honda Fit, and there may be some other good options to consider. We want something with good storage for packages, projects and pets if needed.

John,

You might check out the new Honda HR-V. Smaller footprint than the CR-V or the Toyota RAV4 but with fold flat rear seats give lots of cargo capacity. Highway mileage in high 30's and 33 ave over 400 km of combined local and Guad and back a couple times. The Epic at $330,000p would be a little over $18,000 US at current exchange rates.

Have Honda Fit and Nissan Micra (March in Mexico) and I can tell you that the March is a better cobblestone car and the Fit is a much better road car. Four people in either car and you hit on Topes more so with Fit thus folks suggest little SUVs like H-RV and such. Nothing is more efficient interior wise than a FIT but it does ride a little bit hard on the Cobblestones compared to some of the city cars like Nissan March and others. Drive both as March is much cheaper and shorter than Fit and rides much better on cobbles. FIT holds much more stuff, has nice flat floor when seats folded and goes around the corners to airport from Chapala in a much flatter manner. Fit goes 80MPH all day while March can do 80 but feels much better at 70MPH. Wish I could buy a FIT with a button to soften the suspension in the village so no perfect choice. Would like to keep both but automatic on FIT is much better for us in Guad than manual five speed in our Micra so we are going to sell the Micra eventually. If I had to pick between the March and the FIT I would pick the FIT as a better compromise car but nothing rides as nice as the March on the cobbles and wow is it easy to park. FIT is a foot longer and a few hundred pounds heavier. Nissan note is a better comparision to FIT but March is a great value and a very nice car if all you want to do is tool around the village. We don't miss big cars as these two cars (plus the note) are very efficient on space. We do admit they look top heavy and slightly dorky we find the functionality to be worth it. We never have problems finding parking spaces and no one looks at you twice in any of these small cars.

Good Luck!

However, used cars hold their value here much more than in the US. So, shop carefully. The Peso has lost value vs. the $USD, however it has not been "devalued." The Peso is a free market currency, the market determines its value, not the government. It might be better to say that the $USD has appreciated since its value has increased vs. many currencies, not only the $Peso MX.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived