Chapala.com Webboard

Upholstery shop

Breezes

On 5/26/2017 at 8:01 PM, DeborahM said:

"In Florida I was able to bring a sample Parson's dining chair in to several upholstery shops for quotes for work while using my own fabric. A typical Parson's chair has only an upholstered seat and back.  I was quoted quotdere from $190 USD to $325 USD per chair, labor only.   That is how I learned that the cost to reupholster those simple dining chairs wasn't worth it. I could go to Ikea and buy the same chair,  new, for $69 USD.  I was hoping for the same ballpark info from these forums."

Ideally, you would need to go TO the upholsterer  here...this is not like Florida...which is partly why we LIVE here, right? ;-)  The upholsterers here won't come to YOU for a "ballpark figure." Bring your pictures to Oscar. He's a GREAT upholsterer. I have been PERFECTLY satisfied with his work.

Perhaps you misunderstood my original query--or perhaps I was unclear. Never was I expecting an upholsterer to come to my house....after all, this is Mexico.  I am trying to get a ballpark figure from those of you who have had upholstery work done in the past to determine whether or not it is worthwhile for me to even consider having my chairs reupholstered, before lugging a Parson's chair on the  chiquito (bus) to the upholstery shop, or whether I should consider abandoning the idea of reupholstering completely, and instead, purchase slipcovers (about $20 USD each) or new chairs ($69 each at Ikea).  I have 8 chairs.

And I am surprised to learn, from both bournemouth and rvanparys, that Oscar does, indeed, come to the home with fabric samples and to give estimates.

Perhaps you are making it more difficult than it needs to be.  Yes, the job can be done by Oscar. It will be a quality result.  If you ask, he might come to your house and even pick up the chairs. If not, you could call the Miramontes family & hire them to take you and your chairs to Oscar in one of their vans.  All in all, it will be less expensive than buying new chairs & definitely superior to the use of slip covers.

On 5/26/2017 at 6:24 AM, bournemouth said:

I was very pleased with the services of Handy Artistic Upholstery, 69D Hidalgo, Riberas del Pilar, Alberto Alvarez, 376-106-0332 or cell 331 437 9593.  Near the new gas station.  They also cleaned some furniture for me, doing a good job at a good price.

I have used Handy Artistic recently and so far am pleased with their work.  It has been quite awhile since I've had Oscar do work for me but I was pleased with it back then.  I don't know how the charges for labor compare between these two shops.

On 5/26/2017 at 6:24 AM, bournemouth said:

I was very pleased with the services of Handy Artistic Upholstery, 69D Hidalgo, Riberas del Pilar, Alberto Alvarez, 376-106-0332 or cell 331 437 9593.  Near the new gas station.  They also cleaned some furniture for me, doing a good job at a good price.

I have used Handy Artistic recently and so far am pleased with their work.  It has been quite awhile since I've had Oscar do work for me but I was pleased with it back then.  I don't know how the charges for labor compare between these two shops.

• 1 year later...

There is NO sign.  Oscar's address is Gonzalez Gallo #16 in Chapala.   As of today, the front is a light blue color.  It is directly across from Flavio Romero (street) which ends at Gonzalez Gallo.   The number 765 2366 is correct but he will answer only during working hours: 10-2 and 4-6 weekdays. 

• 1 year later...
On 2/13/2016 at 10:08 PM, Wookie said:

Armando picked our chair up when he said he would. He returned it when he said he would. He did fix the debacle that was left in the aftermath of Miguel's very poor upholstery job. However, we were quoted "approximately $500.00 pesos" and actually charged $1200.00 pesos. After Armando left we found that apparently an oil can had been spilled on the portion of the chair that supports your feet. The smell is very strong and the stain is incredible. We have put baking soda on it, left for 20 minutes and then vacuumed it. We will do this again, as it did help the smell but not the stain. If anyone has an idea about how to remove oil from fabric, I would certainly appreciate hearing it. We are finished with re-upholstering furniture.

try WD40 just for the heck of it.