Chapala.com Webboard

Upholstery shop

Breezes

Armando picked our chair up when he said he would. He returned it when he said he would. He did fix the debacle that was left in the aftermath of Miguel's very poor upholstery job. However, we were quoted "approximately $500.00 pesos" and actually charged $1200.00 pesos. After Armando left we found that apparently an oil can had been spilled on the portion of the chair that supports your feet. The smell is very strong and the stain is incredible. We have put baking soda on it, left for 20 minutes and then vacuumed it. We will do this again, as it did help the smell but not the stain. If anyone has an idea about how to remove oil from fabric, I would certainly appreciate hearing it. We are finished with re-upholstering furniture.

• Like 1

We had good luck with the guy in Riberas behind the green door on the far east end of the commercial strip, north side. He's a few doors east of the big metal yard. He did an office chair for us that Oscar wouldn't do and it turned out well and seems to be holding up very well too.

Friend had Oscar do a sofa and it turned out very well too. If you can get Oscar to do your job, great, otherwise you might want to try the guy in Riberas.

Maincoons, the one in Riberas behind the green door is the one that originally did our upholstery and absolutely ruined the chairs to the point that the recliners would not open or close. He left off many of the screws and bolts after taking them apart. Used the old stuffing material that was already lumpy; put the material upside down and skimped on the material covering to the point that it was already pulling out of the staples when they were delivered. He is the reason we had Armando fix one of the recliners ... which as I said, Armando did the best that could be done but in the process spilled a bottle of oil on the chair. Had the oil not been spilled on the chair and then it delivered without a word of the problem and then the charging of more than double the quote to boot ... we would have been happy with the result. As it is we are left looking for a solution to the oil spill.

It was my understanding from "the one behind the green door" that his wife was now doing the sewing and the upholstery person that he had used for a long time had left him. His wife is not the upholstery guru that the other person was, in my opinion.

Maincoons, the one in Riberas behind the green door is the one that originally did our upholstery and absolutely ruined the chairs to the point that the recliners would not open or close. He left off many of the screws and bolts after taking them apart. Used the old stuffing material that was already lumpy; put the material upside down and skimped on the material covering to the point that it was already pulling out of the staples when they were delivered. He is the reason we had Armando fix one of the recliners ... which as I said, Armando did the best that could be done but in the process spilled a bottle of oil on the chair. Had the oil not been spilled on the chair and then it delivered without a word of the problem and then the charging of more than double the quote to boot ... we would have been happy with the result. As it is we are left looking for a solution to the oil spill.

It was my understanding from "the one behind the green door" that his wife was now doing the sewing and the upholstery person that he had used for a long time had left him. His wife is not the upholstery guru that the other person was, in my opinion.

too bad, as Miguel has done a lot of really good work for us. Not always delivered on time, but his work has been excellent. I do know his cousin was working with him and had a bad accident. Maybe he is back at work now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Miguel has done great work for me on a number of occasions.

Speaking of the devil, I was just researching reupholstering 8 Parsons dining chairs. 

Does anyone have an approximate guess or experience in how much this type of job would cost? These are simple chairs, and I am debating whether to have them reupholstered, or whether I should just use slipcovers. Thanks for any info.

3 hours ago, kimanjome said:

Speaking of the devil, I was just researching reupholstering 8 Parsons dining chairs. 

Does anyone have an approximate guess or experience in how much this type of job would cost? These are simple chairs, and I am debating whether to have them reupholstered, or whether I should just use slipcovers. Thanks for any info.

Too many variables involved. Best  to contact the upholsterer. Most of the work that I've had Oscar do I supplied the fabric. He just finished a chair for us this week and even though we supplied the fabric I was very surprised to see how inexpensive it was. I should probably stop extolling his virtues as I have more work that I want him to do and he is busy as always. One other thing that I'd like to bring up is that he is one of the few workers that has given me a completion date and is invariably finished sooner.

All I can tell you is that it is worth it here to re-upholster ... that is if you get a good job.  You never know if that is going to happen even if you use the same person every time.  It would be more like $20 than $200 but it is easy to get a cost estimate.

Oscar made six cushions for our patio set...Reupholstered a sofa and loveseat and custom made a dog bed .... All quite reasonable and delivered as promised... He is busy so manage your expectations... 

I was very pleased with the services of Handy Artistic Upholstery, 69D Hidalgo, Riberas del Pilar, Alberto Alvarez, 376-106-0332 or cell 331 437 9593.  Near the new gas station.  They also cleaned some furniture for me, doing a good job at a good price.

11 hours ago, kimanjome said:

I understand there are a lot of variables.  I'm looking for a ballpark figure for labor.  $20 a chair? $200 a chair? (for that price I could buy a new chair).  In the US the upholster charges are many times higher than the cost of a new item!

Kim--I sent you an answer to your pm to me. I also highly recommend Oscar.  I found it very worthwhile to reupholster my two arm chairs, as nothing I saw or sat on in the furniture stores appealed to me.

Lexy

• Like 1

Thank you, Lexy, for you specific response.

Why is nobody else replying with what they paid?  I know it might be comparimg apples to oranges, but both are fruit. And it isn't easy to get a quote, as I don't have an autmobile to lug a chair in for an estimate.  And as you are well aware, calling over the telephone to have even a rough rough rough idea doesn't work here.

In Florida I was able to bring a sample Parson's dining chair in to several upholstery shops for quotes for work while using my own fabric. A typical Parson's chair has only an upholstered seat and back.  I was quoted quotdere from $190 USD to $325 USD per chair, labor only.   That is how I learned that the cost to reupholster those simple dining chairs wasn't worth it. I could go to Ikea and buy the same chair,  new, for $69 USD.  I was hoping for the same ballpark info from these forums.

"In Florida I was able to bring a sample Parson's dining chair in to several upholstery shops for quotes for work while using my own fabric. A typical Parson's chair has only an upholstered seat and back.  I was quoted quotdere from $190 USD to $325 USD per chair, labor only.   That is how I learned that the cost to reupholster those simple dining chairs wasn't worth it. I could go to Ikea and buy the same chair,  new, for $69 USD.  I was hoping for the same ballpark info from these forums."

Ideally, you would need to go TO the upholsterer  here...this is not like Florida...which is partly why we LIVE here, right? ;-)  The upholsterers here won't come to YOU for a "ballpark figure." Bring your pictures to Oscar. He's a GREAT upholsterer. I have been PERFECTLY satisfied with his work.

• Like 1

Ditto on Bournemouth's comment... Oscar came to our house, brought samples,picked up the items to meet his schedule (2 weeks later) and delivered them in two weeks... Don't expect a speedy turn around... He does excellent work and has a large clientele....