Chapala.com Webboard

Shopping for a Oaxacan rug: Where can I find one?

MsAlex

Hi,

We're looking for a large area rug (minimum 2x3 meters, or ideally 8x10 ft), and have looked at the wool Oaxacan rugs for sale over on the carretera, near Revolution street (just past El Torito).

Is that fellow the ONLY source for such rugs in this area? 'Anyone know of another vendor?

Thanks, Alex

They can be ordered according to your colors, designs and measurements from any of the vendors in Ajijic. In Tlaquepaque, there are 2 stores on Juarez that sell them.

There are also vendors who sell them at the Feria de los Maestros in November in Chapala.

Antonietta sells rugs that her husband Lucio makes in Oaxaca. He can make any size rug, any colors/designs you desire. The rug can then be shipped from Oaxaca. He uses only natural dyes. Lucio is here now for a short while and can talk to you about specifics including price. Antonietta has her booth in the passageway from Ramon Corona to the plaza. Bring someone to translate for you.

They can be ordered according to your colors, designs and measurements from any of the vendors in Ajijic. In Tlaquepaque, there are 2 stores on Juarez that sell them.

There are also vendors who sell them at the Feria de los Maestros in November in Chapala.

We ordered two rugs from the second vendor past El Torrito's when there were two of them there. He took out $2000 down payment and never delivered before he left the area. Buyer beware when ordering.

I would suggest you visit Oaxaca and go visit the various rug works and order or buy. They can ship your rug here. We have about five of them including a big one. Some of our most prized possessions these rugs are. Also check out Oaxaca wall hangings. We have a beautiful Jaguar one that I never get tired of looking at. Oaxaca is a must visit anyway. Find out how different Mexicans are compared to here. Great Mole, coffee, chocolate, Great walking city and great rugs. Very leftist place with good interesting stores, museums, music. You will see demonstrations for sure (stay away as your visa says no politics for us). Oaxaca was a big cultural awareness discovery to me along with St. Cristobal de la casas(sp??) in Chiapis.

Good Luck but shopping for rugs was a great experience especially when you go to place and see them made.

Archived