Chapala.com Webboard

Gas Fireplace - can't get it to ignite - Help !!

Arjay

We have a gas fireplace and have followed the directions below but can't get it to ignite. Yes, I have turned the gas handle on.

1) Turn dial pilot sign to line up with the white arrow, push in and hold. To ignite, hold in the pilot lighter.

2) Once ignited, turn the dial counter-clockwise to turn on flames.

I hear a sparking noise when I push in the pilot knob but nothing ignites. The battery is okay.

Any help appreciated.

When I tried this the first time in a rental, it turned out the gas line was not hooked up to the fireplace. Then it turned out that in reality it was dirty at one end and gas wasn't getting through. Can you smell gas when you open the nozzle? Also, holding a lighter near the gas tube will ignite it. (As always, safety rules insist that you make sure gas hasn't pooled in the area, or there will be a sudden burst of flame.)

When I tried this the first time in a rental, it turned out the gas line was not hooked up to the fireplace. Then it turned out that in reality it was dirty at one end and gas wasn't getting through. Can you smell gas when you open the nozzle? Also, holding a lighter near the gas tube will ignite it. (As always, safety rules insist that you make sure gas hasn't pooled in the area, or there will be a sudden burst of flame.)

It is hooked up because we've used it before. There was no smell of gas (I have a very keen sense of smell). We tried holding a lighter over the gas tubes but still nothing.

I have gas fireplace logs, and even tho I follow the instructions, sometimes I have to call for help. The guy who installed the logs, who climbed up and cleaned the chimney also, and who comes out whenever I still can't manage to get them lit, and who probably thinks I am an :() but is way too polite to say so, is: Carlos Ramirez, 376-765-5597 or cell (045) 333-903-5891. He speaks English and was originally recommended by the people at Strom White who sell similar gas fireplace logs. Tell him the crazy gringa in La Canacinta recommended him.

In any new connection, it can take a very long time for gas to push all the air out of the line. There will be no odor, and certainly no ignition, until it does. Then, you must hold the button for quite a while until the thermo-electric sensor is warm enough to keep the gas flowing. If the latter has be bent out of the correct flame position, it will not get hot enough to function. Check that, once you are sure you have gas and a pilot that stays lit while you are holding the control down.

Arjay is talking about a gas fireplace, not a water heater!

No cigarettes or flame in the room...

Turn the valve up all the way, put your ear near the fireplace and listen for gas coming out.

It you hear gas, wait a few minutes so the gas you now have in your fireplace can dissipate.

Then hold you lighter at the opening closest to where your gas comes in the fireplace bar.

It should ignite.

If you have never used your fireplace, have a can of bug spray handy for any critters that might come running out of the flu.

We had about 500 cockroaches came running out into the living room in one rental.

P.S. Most bug spray is flammable, so be careful and do not get evil-minded when spraying cockroaches! (No matter how deservant and fun it is!)

We have several gas log heater and they get clogged up when not used on a regular basis. Every time I ry to light them after a cuple of month of not using them, I have to have someone come and clean up the ignition. One plumber told me the gas was dirty and clogs up the ignition and another plumber told me tiny spiders screw up the ignition, I do not know who is right but I had that problem for the last 8 years and unless I light up the heater for a few minutes every week m they do not turn on after a few months of not being used.

We have a gas fireplace and have followed the directions below but can't get it to ignite. Yes, I have turned the gas handle on.

1) Turn pilot know to line up with white arrow. Hold in and light the pilot light.

2) Turn the knob counter-clockwise to turn on flames.

I hear a clicking noise when I push in the pilot knob but nothing ignites. The battery is okay.

Any help appreciated.

In # 1 you say Hold in and light the pilot light.

But are you sure it is lit? It doesn't sound like it is because you say when you push the pilot knob in nothing ignites.

Try lighting it with a lighter, one of those long ones. Line it up and then push it in (and hold it in) and see if it lights.

If it lights, then continue to hold it in for a little bit before slowly turning the knob counter clockwise.

If the pilot goes out as you release (from pushing in) then you didn't hold it long enough.

But you have to watch the pilot to see if it is lit, and if it is still lit when you start turning counter clockwise.

In # 1 you say Hold in and light the pilot light.

But are you sure it is lit? It doesn't sound like it is because you say when you push the pilot knob in nothing ignites.

Try lighting it with a lighter, one of those long ones. Line it up and then push it in (and hold it in) and see if it lights.

If it lights, then continue to hold it in for a little bit before slowly turning the knob counter clockwise.

If the pilot goes out as you release (from pushing in) then you didn't hold it long enough.

But you have to watch the pilot to see if it is lit, and if it is still lit when you start turning counter clockwise.

I've reworded my posting to make it clearer:

1) Turn dial pilot sign to line up with the white arrow, push in and hold. To ignite, hold in the pilot lighter.

2) Once ignited, turn the dial counter-clockwise to turn on flames.

I've also tried using a lighter and the pilot won't light. I've tried holding them both in for about 30 seconds each time and still nothing but a sparking noise.

If you can't light the pilot with a match then you do not have any gas flow. I think you should call Carlos Ramirez as suggested above. He is very good with fireplace inserts and was able to find a gas leak for us after 3 other plumbers had failed but charged us for unnecessary valve replacements.

When my propane tank (the big house one) was empty it took several minutes (once I had it filled) to get the gas to flow down to the pilot, it was a pain but eventually once the line was full never had the problem again. So maybe 30 seconds isn't long enough.

Or, do you know if there can be a 2nd valve that could be shut.

Carlos Ramirez is a good guy and can probably help if all else fails.

When my propane tank (the big house one) was empty it took several minutes (once I had it filled) to get the gas to flow down to the pilot, it was a pain but eventually once the line was full never had the problem again. So maybe 30 seconds isn't long enough.

Or, do you know if there can be a 2nd valve that could be shut.

Carlos Ramirez is a good guy and can probably help if all else fails.

We've tried holding for about 30 seconds a number of times. Does this mean we should hold it in for a few minutes instead? We're not aware of any 2nd valve and, if there is, we haven't shut it and don't think anyone else has. It's a mystery. But there doesn't seem to be any gas flow coming into the fireplace or we'd smell and/or hear it. It worked last season. Of course, if and when the warm weather comes, we won't need it until next season !!

We've tried holding for about 30 seconds a number of times. Does this mean we should hold it in for a few minutes instead? We're not aware of any 2nd valve and, if there is, we haven't shut it and don't think anyone else has. It's a mystery. But there doesn't seem to be any gas flow coming into the fireplace or we'd smell and/or hear it. It worked last season. Of course, if and when the warm weather comes, we won't need it until next season !!

Yes, I would try holding it in for a couple minutes. By holding it in, you will allow whatever is in the line to bleed out. Unless you hold the knob in, the line is closed. If there is air in the line it will eventually bleed out because the gas is under pressure and will slowly force it out. If after you have held it for a couple minutes and you still get nothing then give up and call Carlos.

Best I can come up with from personal experience.

When an appliance like yours is not used, and the weather is very cold, you may have to hold for several minutes to get gas. Of course, another option is to loosen a fitting slightly, until you smell gas, then re-tighten it. Now you have gas up to that point and should not have to hold your control down as long. Once you get the pilot to remain on, all will be well.

If loosening a fitting does not produce gas odor or escaping air, then you have another valve that is turned off somewhere upstream.

Archived