Chapala.com Webboard

cell phone providers in Ajijic area

I'm coming to Ajijic from Canada for a month in March and will need a cell phone provider in order to make long distance calls back to Canada. Tel Cel and Movistar seem to be the 2 most popular providers in the area but I don't know who has better reception and prices. I'd like to bring my iPhone 5 and just buy a SIMM card if possible.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Stan

I'm coming to Ajijic from Canada for a month in March and will need a cell phone provider in order to make long distance calls back to Canada. Tel Cel and Movistar seem to be the 2 most popular providers in the area but I don't know who has better reception and prices. I'd like to bring my iPhone 5 and just buy a SIMM card if possible.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Is your iPhone unlocked?

We just got a deal with Telcel for 100 pesos/30 days. It includes unlimited calls and texts between any Mexican, Canadian and US phones. It also includes free Facebook, WhatsApp and Messenger, and some data. They have another one that is 50 pesos/20 days with less data.

We just got a deal with Telcel for 100 pesos/30 days. It includes unlimited calls and texts between any Mexican, Canadian and US phones. It also includes free Facebook, WhatsApp and Messenger, and some data. They have another one that is 50 pesos/20 days with less data.

Can one take this phone and use it up north without roaming or additional costs? Or, does any phone system work this way saving the necessity of changing simm cards? One phone and system to fit all in North America?

At TelCel I get the Medio 30 plan for about $360p which has all the phone calls I need plus up to 2G of data. Whatever plan you use, I would suggest dealing with the large office in Centro Laguna, across from Walmart. Whatever plan you buy, you have to (or ask them to do it for you) text a message to 5050, in my case Medio30 Text after receiving texts to confirm the money added to your account.

The Telcel Max Sin Limite 1000 for $199/month includes unlimited calls to and from Mexico, US and Canada, unlimited text messages and 1gb of data. Higher amounts of data are available for about $50 pesos per 500mb.

The calls can be made and received in Mexico or NOB. The people at the Telcel office in Centro Laguna will pop in a new SIM card and activate it at one of the windows.

Most of the available plans can be viewed on the Telcel website and they change every so often. In December there was no plan with unlimited minutes but in January several appeared, probably as a response to offerings from AT&T.

We recently pre-payed a plan with IUSACELL (AT&T affiliated). From my understanding we have unlimited calling and texts to the US and Mexico for use that originates in both the US and Mexico. The plan also comes with 1GB internet and 1GB bonus internet.

http://www.iusacell.com.mx/planes/att-unidos-damos-mas.php

If you prepay 10 months, they'll add 14 months "free". A 24 month plan came out to just shy of 3,000 pesos. My translating ability is a little bit weak, so I'm not sure if the bonus 1GB is only for the 10 months we technically paid for, or the full 24 month contract.

Archived