Chapala.com Webboard

TAPALA PILGIMAGE in MARCH

Joyinmexico

Talpa de Allende.........

I guess there are all kinds of different routes or ways, but last year the highway between Ameca and Talpa de Allende was packed with people walking, riding horses, bicycles, and motos. Some people I talked to had started in Guadalajara and others in Ameca, Hundreds of buses bring people to different points along the highway and drop them off at different starting points. I suppose you could haul camping equipment for some of the trails but along the highway there all are kinds of temporary food puestos set up for the peregrinos. The Pemex gasolinera between Ameca and Mascota always had about 100 people waiting to use the bano (LOL, for 2 or 3 pesos).

My gardner has done it many times, check with the church in Ajijic. The luggage goes on pick up truck and meets the pilgrims in the evening where they camp out.People do it all kinds of ways, walking , biking etc... I have no idea what foreigners do but many local Mexicans have done it and do it.

I've done it, about 6 years ago. 100km in 48 hrs. Lost a toenail on the last mile. We had someone carrying out sleeping gear in a vehicle and meeting us with snacks thoughout the day/night. Fun but haven't done it again.

Archived