Chapala.com Webboard

Confiscated dog food?

I will be arriving in April with my small dog. She is a very picky eater and the only thing I have found so far that she will eat is a brand called Fromm's and the main ingredient is duck. I was planning on bringing a bag with me and slowly combining it with a good brand you have there until I can wean her off the Fromm's, but I am reading that the dog food is being confiscated at the border. I will be flying in, not driving. Do you think they will still take it?

Does anyone know if that brand is available in Ajijic or nearby? Any suggestions? I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Good idea Yo1, but I don't know what brands you have available in Ajijic. I will not have a car so it needs to be within walking distance unless I can get a ride.

I think someone mentioned Blue Buffalo so I will look into that. Do you know of any other brand names so I can compare ingredients?

Kat

You might want to look up local vets, who often sell higher-quality premium dog food. You can search this board for phone numbers or email contacts or other posters might help you with their vets' contact info.

Start with Dr. Ladrón (he for sure carries Science Diet among other brands) or Dr. Berenice Martinez: the latter can be reached at 333-1964-150 or radicalcher@hotmail.com. Both speak English.

I have had ZERO success by air bringing in more than one day's rations; by car, I've been prepared to lose my food but never been docked it.

I have never seen Blue Buffalo here, but that doesn't mean it isn't here. Diamond is readily available. There is a new shop in town selling very high quality raw food, an ancestral diet, at pretty reasonable prices. Costco foods are available both at Costco in GDL and in local stores at a markup. I don't think there's much chance you'll get dog food in by plane.

I found an article called "10 Veterinary Offices Compared" published in The Lake Chapala Reporter in April of 2014. It lists addresses, phone numbers and email addresses. I will be contacting the ones that are closest to me.

I would really like to find a food where the main ingredient is duck since that is what she is used to, so if any see that type of food when you are buying food for your own pets, please let me know.

Thank you

Blue buffalo freedom (vs wilderness) variety is available lakeside, but for something like 1500 (or more) per largest bag.

Blue Buffalo wilderness costs more, available in guad NEAR costco.

Hey I have one bag of Blue Buffalo quality (not sold lakeside) that I won't be using as I switched over to raw food for my dogs,

and two more bags of Taste of the Wild (which normally sells for 1700 pesos lakeside.... PM me if interested... actually about

to donate some of the opened to the dog rescues, and that is probably where the unopened will end up as well, with a small

reserve kept for my feeding strays.

Dr Ladron's (if you don't want to make it up yourself) raw is hard for any dog to turn down, and it is a super easy transition to

go from kibble to raw, no adjustment problems. You might try that when you arrive here.

I have never seen Blue Buffalo here, but that doesn't mean it isn't here. Diamond is readily available. There is a new shop in town selling very high quality raw food, an ancestral diet, at pretty reasonable prices. Costco foods are available both at Costco in GDL and in local stores at a markup. I don't think there's much chance you'll get dog food in by plane.S

I fly a lot and bring dog treats in frequently in our luggage. Sometimes 4 boxes of Milkbone at a time, bully sticks and various other types. Have never had any confiscated in 7+ years. Not to say it won't ever happen. So far they have only taken 1/2 a turkey sandwich. There is a PETCO on Lopez Mateo which carries most all the premium food including Blue Buffalo.

Kat, is your dog a picky eater OR does she have allergies to certain foods? That really dictates how to proceed.

As to cross border carrying of dog food the only problem I've ever experienced was when there was a beef ban between US and Canada and border customs on the ground would not allow dog food into the country containing beef.

Luckily your dog is small so the quantity of food you'll be bringing in can be confiscated without any financial drain. I suggest you do some research as to a meat/protein, rice and veggie meal you can add to a quality kibble. Also how to deal with picky eaters.

As to an arguably quality kibble I would use Costco's kibble which doesn't have corn or animal by-products as the first ingedient. Diamond brands have had many recalls over the years and that would eliminate from y consideration.

The bottom line is whatever change you make to the diet of a picky eater they aren't going to like it. So pick a good quality kibble, add some tasty meat and cross your fingers. The old addage is eventually they will eat! (Having had to force feed countless poodles I sometimes wonder)

The Pet Store next to Ladron's clinic in Riberas carries a wide variety of pet foods including a high end product with no grains and duck is one of the main ingredients.

I heard that there is a vet who has brought in Blue Buffalo but I have not found out who that is.

No healthy dog ever starved when a decent quality food was available. You need to be the boss not the dog. Put the food in the dog's bowl and leave it there for 15 minutes. Remove and repeat every 4 hours. Eventually the dog will decide it is hungry and eat. It may take a day or three.

Several local stores carry Call of the Wild but it is very pricey so remains to be seen how long they will bother to carry it.

I would also suggest looking into the BARF diet. I buy from the the Dog Food Lady at the Tuesday market.

I have been to find my information in order to post this. I just found my printed information I saved from the web from SENASICA (Servicio Naciona de Sanidad, Inocuidad y Calidad agroalimentaria) which shows all the regulations of what is and is not allowed. I was able to get it in English. From what I see, pet food is allowed to be brought in as long as it is in the original sealed container depending on which country made it (several countries, including USA) , so if you have canned food you should be fine. If you have dried food, it would certainly be cumbersome to bring an entire sealed bag.

If it is un-packaged, then you can only bring enough for the daily pet's allowance.

Last time I dealt with SENASICA, the restriction re: one day ration applied to pet food in the pet's carrier which would not be sealed in its commercial package. We have not yet had any problem with bringing sealed commercially packaged or canned pet food in by air and we have friends who regularly cross the border by car with several dogs and plenty of food for them and have had zero problems as long as the vet paperwork is current..

I reached a local vet by email and he carries a brand that is sold locally in the U.S. It is Nature's Variety and is duck and turkey.

I purchased some to start getting her switched over and to my great surprise she LOVES the new stuff!!

Thank you everyone for all your help and suggestions. It really means a lot to get help from you when I am so far away.

Kat

Archived