Chapala.com Webboard

Car purchase

John Galt

Showing a government agency document (a CFE document) with the official address printed on the document makes some sense. Some Mexican agencies, employers & companies do require that the landlord (whose name is on the CFE bill) sign a letter certifying/confirming that the tenant actually lives at that address. As a landlord, we have had some agencies/employers contact us to confirm that the tenant actually lives there.

In the USA, people can claim bogus addresses, with no formal confirmation of that address, so, the Mexican system offers a better level of accuracy (fraud detection) than some US systems. ??

John seems unhappy with the way things are done. To enjoy Mexico, one must not necessarily understand, but it will help. However, if one cannot adjust and adapt to new ways, and learn to enjoy life in a new culture, it is best to stay home and pull up the covers. :010:

Showing a government agency document (a CFE document) with the official address printed on the document makes some sense. Some Mexican agencies, employers & companies do require that the landlord (whose name is on the CFE bill) sign a letter certifying/confirming that the tenant actually lives at that address. As a landlord, we have had some agencies/employers contact us to confirm that the tenant actually lives there.

In the USA, people can claim bogus addresses, with no formal confirmation of that address, so, the Mexican system offers a better level of accuracy (fraud detection) than some US systems. ??

Fraud? Dealer gets cash. Insurance company gets cash. Have government issued Permanente card. I just don't see who would be damaged here. Anyway, that is off topic and I don't want to stray away from topic of how to get this done.

John seems unhappy with the way things are done. To enjoy Mexico, one must not necessarily understand, but it will help. However, if one cannot adjust and adapt to new ways, and learn to enjoy life in a new culture, it is best to stay home and pull up the covers. :010:

I am home. That does not mean I have to like and agree with everything.

But it does mean that if you fail to adapt, you may have to do without some things.

The CFE bill simply proves that the address exists. A letter from your landlord, or a receipt, along with that bill might do the trick; but, if not, a simple comprobante de domicilio from the palacio municipal will suffice.

Why so much resistance?

Doesn't seem to matter in Mexico--just get the comprobante de domicilio and use that. You don't have to understand or even agree, just go along with the program and you will be better off. Those of us who have been here a long time learned this and we may be ignorant about the "whys" but happier.

Doesn't seem to matter in Mexico--just get the comprobante de domicilio and use that. You don't have to understand or even agree, just go along with the program and you will be better off. Those of us who have been here a long time learned this and we may be ignorant about the "whys" but happier.

Okay. Well, I will give that a shot. Now I need to figure out the location of that federal building, what room no. etc. Are they going to ask me for anything for which I should come prepared?

I think you have to have a CFE bill or phone bill and your lease. Along with your identification, INM card and passport.

You just can't show up in the office and claim you live at a real address you have to have the papers too.

Federal building? I thought you wanted to register a car. That is done at the local office of the Recaudadora, a SAT office. If you are in Chapala, it is on Degollado, on the south side of the street, near the end, near Parque Cristiania.

The Palacio Municipal is “City Hall“ in Chapala, for example, and they can issue the comprobante de domocilio.

Archived