Chapala.com Webboard

Cell phone

maggilu

I think it is easier and probably cheaper to just go purchase the minutes you want from one of the Telcel retailers. That's what we do. No monthly plan. There are probably several locations. I don't what GMS service is, however. We bought out cell phones, then I think we had someone unlock them.

I am technology challenged and want to buy a very simple cell phone for emergency use. There is an unlocked phone available from Amazon.

It needs GSM service. Does anyone know if that is available from Telcel?

Barbara

Phones here are GSM so yes, you can use it here. Buy a Sim chip for it from whatever service you want. Telcel is the most popular.

You can buy cheap phones from Telcel for about $300 pesos or a little less that have $100 pesos of minutes on the phone. That would probably be cheaper and easier for you.

http://www.telcel.com/personas/telefonia/amigo/si-ya-tengo-amigo#!si-amigo-amigo-kit

I agree with buying a cheap phone from, say, Telcel. I did this for around 300 pesos a few years back, including some minutes. When I come back into Mexico I just drop by a Telcel store and buy a few pesos back on it. Good to go.

Thanks. I have the cheapest Telcel but have trouble using it. The one from Amazon is in English and has bigger buttons so I think i will try it since you say Telcel service will work.

This board is great and I appreciate the people who take the time to answer.

Barbara

Thanks. I have the cheapest Telcel but have trouble using it. The one from Amazon is in English and has bigger buttons so I think i will try it since you say Telcel service will work.

This board is great and I appreciate the people who take the time to answer.

Barbara

In my experience even a cheapo little cell phone has an option to change the language to English. To be found in "phone settings". And be aware that if you don't use the cell phone for 6 months Telcel will cancel your number.

Archived