Chapala.com Webboard

Mall recommendation in Guadalajara?

Oh, goodness, I fear Macy's, Old Navy, etc do not exist here. Think Liverpool and Sears. My personal favorite is Galerias Mall, but truthfully, I can shop in earnest there for hours and come away with one item if I'm lucky. I do virtually all clothes shopping when I go NOB. Every time I have guests come down, I shop online and have things delivered to them and they bring it with them.

The absolute nicest mall is Andares in the Puerto Hierro area. You will find every level of clothing stores from Palacio Hierro on down. Also lots of upscale restaurants or if you want a food court. Lots of underground shaded parking.

Be aware that good clothing in Mexico is as much as double the USA, as imported clothes have a very high duty, and the stores that sell that clothing are upscale for the people that have money.

If you are don't want to buy designer, try Zara which is from Spain, and C&H. Also sometimes Liverpool has some bargains.

For clothing I always heard that La Gran Plaza Mall was the best for clothing. Maybe we will get more opinions on that. Andares Mall is the most exclusive mall in the city with the most exclusive prices. Galerias is my favorite with a good selection of everything. Before all clothing was made and imported from China, a nearby city was designated to be the clothing capital that would supply all the local shopping malls with cloths. It is called Zapotlanejo, the city still is a major clothing producing hub with great deals and hundreds of shops in and around the downtown area. Honestly, I haven't been there yet, but have watched videos on youtube and I have heard from friends that have gone there, and they say it is a beautiful little city with lots and lots of stores all selling all kinds of cloths, they say you could easily spend most of a day there shopping. If you pass the airport on the right you will see a sign directing you to Zapotlanejo by way of the periferico.

While I love the malls they are not for the bargain hunters unless sales are on. I get my good clothes from Liverpool as they have good quality socks that don't wear out in a month like the bargain socks down here. I bring most of my clothes down from US where I get most from Ross and Marshalls.

Nice clothes I can find in Mexico but I can't find heavy duty work clothes like I could in US. I would like to find a Mexican version of Columbia. Pirma a Mexican shoe company makes cheap good real rubber cobblestone sandals made in Brazil for like 400/500 pesos. Pirma has stores in Guad.

So where in Guad can you get Columbia type clothes???

Gallerias Mall has Gap, Forever 21, Zara, Mango, and H&M. It also has an Outback Steakhouse and a Starbucks. Prices were comparable to those in the US. There is a well-known shoe store in the mall but I forget the name ... Nine West, maybe? Gallerias also has a nice big bookstore next to the Starbucks. (Very few books in English but literary selection in Spanish.)

Are there any stores similar to Nordstrom here in Guadalajara?

Andares gets my vote. Palacia Hierro, Liverpool and international brands like Zara which we both love for men and women's clothing -- cheap, yet stylish. We also go there to buy pods for our Nespresso machine as there is a Nespresso boutique there (the only one in Guadalaraja). Easy, good underground parking, nice cafes and restaurants...

Archived