Chapala.com Webboard

The Age Question - 45-49, 50-54, 55=59

UrbanMan

I've seen this question asked on several forums, but it seems to never actually get answered. Perhaps the subject makes people uncomfortable?

I know that Lakeside is full of people aged 60+, especially seasonally. But there are some people around who fall into younger age bands .... how many?

I realize there are no government statistics or similar around (not that I have been able to find, and believe me I have looked).

But does anyone have a sense of how many gringos/gringas might be around that fall into the age ranges of 45-49, 50-54, 55-59. In case you are wondering, no I am not a marketing person, I am not writing a paper, I am not thinking of starting a business, or anything like that. I'm trying to project what living down there might feel like as a gringo if you are under 60 years of age, perhaps well under 60 years of age. Are you going to have peers?

Note: Not to be rude, but posts of "I have absolutely no idea" really are not helpful. I see these kinds of posts on web boards all the time, not sure what is going through the mind of people to hit send on them.

We moved here several years ago at ages 55 and 56. We have friends here who are older than we are and friends who are younger. Obviously the younger group is smaller than the older group. The other thing I find is that some of our friends who are 5-10 years older than we are seem to me to be younger than their chronological ages. We have family here who are in their late 30s and they have made friends in their age bracket. Sorry, I know this answer doesn't provide you with any numbers, but at least it wasn't an "I don't have a clue!" type of answer.

I know a fair number of people under 60 here. I am currently 58, but moved here at 52. My best friend here was 7 years younger than I (she's since moved away). More and more young people all the time. I don't know the answer to your full question, but there are more and more younger people all the time. Lots of younger people manage to continue their work via the internet.

Age discrimination, common in the USA, does not seem nearly as apparent in Mexico. People are friendlier, by far, and much more open to meeting new friends; expats have that in common. In 2001, when we moved to Ajijic, Chapala, we found that many expats had extensive experience of having lived, worked or at least traveled to many other parts of the world and were more independent sorts who were more likely to ride, ski or fly, than to play golf or watch sports on TV. As long as that is true, you are bound to find new friends of any age without difficulty, and even without the need to join any group. The town squares are there for a variety of reasons, and meeting people, in the day or the evening, is just one of them.

Well, I do know a couple who moved here because they were finishing their sci-fi book series and could live anywhere and liked Ajijic, and they were having trouble finding expats of their own age, which I think was around 40 but at my advanced age it is hard to judge. I have been here almost 10 years, am age 72 now. I am seeing more older expats around town, because I moved down here when there was rather a flood of US retirees moving here. Now those retirees are getting older, and there are not as many expats retiring here now, IMO, because, among many factors no doubt, people can't afford to sell up in the US and move down here. Many expat events are geared to retirees. As are many restaurants--When I first visited here 10 years ago, it shocked me to go out to dinner and find that everyone dining in the restaurant was, uh, old. In the US, we were often the oldest people in the restaurant and would thus get seated by the kitchen door as we were not attractive enough to be seated near the entrance. Here, it is a different story, older people are appreciated, but the numbers of oldsters can be a bit of a shock, if you are a young expat. Yes, this does NOT take into account that the natives are friendly to people of all ages--THAT is simply wonderful.

RV gringo..there is plenty of age discrimination here..try to get a credit card if you are 70 or older. A bank employee told me people over 70 could not get a credit card.

As far as finding younger people ,speak Spanish and you will have no problems finding young people and socialize with

younger people . I am in my late 60´s and most of my friends are in their 40´s..if you have an activity that involves you in the community you will socoalize with people who are interested in the same thing as you are and age is irrelevant..

I`ve been lakeside for 4 years. By simple observation, it seems to me the expat population is about 90% in their 70`s or older. I`ve seen 10-20 people in their 40`s or 50`s.

Age discrimination, common in the USA, does not seem nearly as apparent in Mexico. People are friendlier, by far, and much more open to meeting new friends; expats have that in common.

I don't think discrimination is the right word. Its more a matter that a person is much more likely to have a higher number of commonalities with others who are close to their age. I'm all about variety, in fact I would not want to live in a monolithic place.

speak Spanish

Estoy trabajando en ello.

Age discrimination, common in the USA, does not seem nearly as apparent in Mexico.

Age discrimination definetly does exist in Mexico, ask any Mexican trying to get a job after they're 50 years old.

We moved here when we were 52 and 57. I meet younger people often. Since I do a lot of volunteer work age doesn't matter since we have the same focus. Hope this was of some help.

I am not one of this group, but I remember reading that there is actually a sort of reverse discrimination. Those late fifties and older treating younger people with suspicion. As in "Why would anyone give up their prime earning years to move to a location where there are very few jobs, very few opportunities." I'm sure there are lots of ready answers that will satisfy even the most cynical.

We've lived here since 2008, I'm now 43 and my wife is 40. We have never felt like an active social life was lacking with people our age, younger, and older, other expats, and locals... If anything, our kids hold us back more than anything... No official stats, but there are many more 'younger' expats around now then when we first arrived. Also, in my real estate business, the average age of my first-time buyers in the area is under sixty...

I am not one of this group, but I remember reading that there is actually a sort of reverse discrimination. Those late fifties and older treating younger people with suspicion. As in "Why would anyone give up their prime earning years to move to a location where there are very few jobs, very few opportunities." I'm sure there are lots of ready answers that will satisfy even the most cynical.

Some of the younger expats are working remotely for their employers NOB through the magic of computers. We know several. Another is a day trader. What could be better than earning your livelihood in sweats or pajamas, in the comfort of your Mexican home?

Dear Urban Man:

You will get a different answer from everyone. PLEASE remember when people start we "when WE came down" they are a "WE."

WE does not me But does anyone have a sense of how many gringos/gringas might be around that fall into the age ranges of 45-49, 50-54, 55-59. In case you are wondering, no I am not a marketing person, I am not writing a paper, I am not thinking of starting a business, or anything like that. I'm trying to project what living down there might feel like as a gringo if you are under 60 years of age, perhaps well under 60 years of age. Are you going to have peers?

I'm in San Francisco - San Pancho in Nayarit for 10 weeks. It is definitely a young and young at heart environment. Went to a fundraiser for the 10th anniversary of the local Montessori School here last night and the mix at the school is 50/50 (gringo kids/mexi kids). I talked to some really young parents - most of whom are working online or locally running a surf school and various businesses. Decided over the past 6 weeks that the town has more strollers than walkers and the age range is really spread out. I found lakeside was getting there in terms of a mix of all people of all ages and if Nayarit is any indication, more will be on their way.

Met a young family heading to lakeside to "check it out." And a couple in their 70's taking the bus today to "check it out." Also the PV youth orchestra performed at the fundraiser and that group was also a strong 50/50 mix of kids from all over the area. Assuming they have fairly young parents. They were fantastic by the way!

Onward to as much diversity as possible down the road for lakeside. It will be totally win/win. And who knows ... maybe someone will need to start a Montessori school lakeside.

My wife and I are in our early 30s and are here for a 12 month trial. While there doesn't seem to be an abundance of same age peers, there are a few we've ran into. Most of our interests can be handled online, or aren't tightly coupled to age bands so I think we will do well here socially.

For the most part, we have the same pros and cons of living here as the rest of the expats. There are a few things that are either unique to our age band, or in general, a greater factor for us.

Pros:

• Mexico is one of few countries that will provide a long stay visa to people our age without in country work contracts, being a student, etc. Most countries don't have the option, or have a hard set minimum age.
  • Instead of lower costs making retirement funds go further, lower costs can mean a better work/life balance.

Cons:

• Internet connectivity is limiting for remote work.

I wouldn't be surprised to see groups of younger working expats start to develop down here as internet connections improve.

I am 50 now and have been here for 2 years full time. Before I came down I started a a thread on Inside Lakeside asking if there were many here under 50. I received a surprising amount of responses. There are many 'young people living here but you don't often see them. The cost of living here compared to Canada was the major factor for me moving down.

Archived