Chapala.com Webboard
tomgates

Carnitas

Stopped in at Carnitas Michoacan, west of Superlake on the corner of the block Coke is located. Really good, lots of crispy bark.

• Like 1

Just one kind today.

I have often thought I would like to stop in and try it, but the music is usually blaring in front and so I've been discouraged.

• Like 1

I tried it today for the first time. Picked up 1/2 kilo of carnitas to go for 110 pesos. Enough food for several meals for two people. Yes, the music out front is pretty loud, but since I took it to go, I didn't care. The man working inside seemed to be enjoying it.

Carnitas, which originated in Michoacán, is nose-to-tail pork meat, boiled in lard in large cazos (huge copper or stainless steel vats) until the outside of the pork is crispy and the meat inside is fall-off-the-bone tender. The juiciest parts are the ribs and the meat from the rib area. Most carnitas places offer two choices for your order: good-size chunks of maciza (what foreigners think of as standard meat cut from a haunch) or surtido (including ear, tongue, cuero (skin), nose, liver, some maciza, etc). Your order of meat is usually served with hot tortillas, salsas of several varieties, pickled jalapeño peppers, and guacamole.

If you are a carnitas fan, you owe it to yourself to try Hector's, on the carretera out west just before the turnoff for Las Palmas and La Christina.

Only open Fri,Sat and Sun. Well worth the trip.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if this Carnitas Michoacan place near SuperLake has a regular schedule? It seems to be closed every time I'm ready to try it.

Lexy

If you are a carnitas fan, you owe it to yourself to try Hector's, on the carretera out west just before the turnoff for Las Palmas and La Christina.

Only open Fri,Sat and Sun. Well worth the trip.

I agree with that! I love good carnitas and think Hector's are the best. I do not really care for the Carnitas Michoacán.

All I know is Hector's opens pretty early. We usually go to Costco on Sunday mornings and drive by there by 9. They are certainly staffed and cooking at that time, but I don't know what time the first plate is ready to eat. I would think at least by 11. As far as I know, they are only open on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

I love the Michoacan carnitas, but she doesn't have tortillas, at least not the times I've been there, so I never know if I should make a sandwich, just eat them plain with some salsa, or what. Sounds stupid I know but to just eat a plate of meat seems like it's missing something. What do the Mexicans do to eat them without tortillas?

I love the Michoacan carnitas, but she doesn't have tortillas, at least not the times I've been there, so I never know if I should make a sandwich, just eat them plain with some salsa, or what. Sounds stupid I know but to just eat a plate of meat seems like it's missing something. What do the Mexicans do to eat them without tortillas?

Buy a birote/bolilio and an avocado add chile de molcajete and make a torta,that's what we do.