Chapala.com Webboard

Carnitas

tomgates

Carnitas, which originated in Michoacán, is nose-to-tail pork meat, boiled in lard in large cazos (huge copper or stainless steel vats) until the outside of the pork is crispy and the meat inside is fall-off-the-bone tender. The juiciest parts are the ribs and the meat from the rib area. Most carnitas places offer two choices for your order: good-size chunks of maciza (what foreigners think of as standard meat cut from a haunch) or surtido (including ear, tongue, cuero (skin), nose, liver, some maciza, etc). Your order of meat is usually served with hot tortillas, salsas of several varieties, pickled jalapeño peppers, and guacamole.

If you are a carnitas fan, you owe it to yourself to try Hector's, on the carretera out west just before the turnoff for Las Palmas and La Christina.

Only open Fri,Sat and Sun. Well worth the trip.

I agree with that! I love good carnitas and think Hector's are the best. I do not really care for the Carnitas Michoacán.

I love the Michoacan carnitas, but she doesn't have tortillas, at least not the times I've been there, so I never know if I should make a sandwich, just eat them plain with some salsa, or what. Sounds stupid I know but to just eat a plate of meat seems like it's missing something. What do the Mexicans do to eat them without tortillas?

I love the Michoacan carnitas, but she doesn't have tortillas, at least not the times I've been there, so I never know if I should make a sandwich, just eat them plain with some salsa, or what. Sounds stupid I know but to just eat a plate of meat seems like it's missing something. What do the Mexicans do to eat them without tortillas?

Buy a birote/bolilio and an avocado add chile de molcajete and make a torta,that's what we do.

Archived