Chapala.com Webboard

Do I still need my Ecuadorian residency to complete Permanente in Mexico?

Garth

My wife and I are Canadian citizens living in Ecuador, with Ecuadorian residency.

About two weeks ago, we went to the Quito embassy in Ecuador, and we each received our Permanente Visa for Mexico.

One of the documents that we had to show was that we were legal residents of Ecuador.

We are now preparing to come to Mexico in a month.

Do we need to still be legal residents of Ecuador, to complete our permanente process in Mexico?

Or do we cancel our Ecuadorian residency as we leave Ecuador? ie hand in our cedula cards, and they probably void our visa in our passport. We obviously do not want to do this, if Mexico still needs it.

Secondly, we are shipping a container to Mexico. I believe it is called our Menaje de Casa, and I understand that we need to complete paperwork in Ecuador to ship to Mexico. We are having trouble finding out if our Ecuadorian visa needs to be active to ship our container? Or if our container can leave Ecuador after us?

These are important questions and we do not want to mess this up.

While you are completing the Residente Permanente process, Mexico's INM does not require you to keep your Ecuadoran residency.

Once you have the approved Menaje de Casa from the Mexican Consulate in Ecuador, Mexico does not require you to keep your Ecuadoran residency.

I have no idea what Ecuador requires for people shipping out containers.

If no cost, keep it in case you need to go back for anything soon, probably easier to get things done as resident versus tourist.

Does Ecuador require its foreigners with temporary resident visas to surrender their visa card/document when the foreigner ends their Ecuadoran residence?

(Similar to Mexico's policy for Residente Temporal visa holders to turn in their Residente Temporal visa cards when they expire.)

Thanks for your advice. We are going to keep our residency for a few extra months just in case there is a problem. At the end of July the CD that we used to obtain our investor's visa expires, and we will cash in our CD and give up our residency at that time. Since we will be in Mexico by then, we are preparing a Power of attorney for a lawyer in Ecuador to send us our money, and hand in our cedula's.

Archived