Chapala.com Webboard

cold weather

bezerk

Personally speaking I did not find this winter unusually cold. It was cloudier than others I recall. I've worn a sweat suit for about the usual 3 weeks this year. Down comforter on the bed for the same amount of time and I've taken it off my side.

One becomes reacquainted with the chillier evening temperatures in GDL if one is "fortunate" enough to have a plane flight 4 hours late resulting in a trip home from the airport at 11AM. Downright chilly in front of the terminal versus comfortable at our front door at midnight.

The much hyped El Niño seems to have made it a little chillier and cloudier around here otherwise not much impact. All of those storms and floods predicted for the U.S. west coast haven't amounted to much either.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a large thermometer in my bedroom that I check several times a day. In previous years the coldest this room every got was 18.5° This year it got down to 18°. Half a degree can me quite a bit at that temperature. I have flannel sheets and PJs. This year I also used a hot water bottle.

The afternoons have been perfect for sunbathing, warmer outside the house than inside.

One thing I don't understand..why am I still finding tiny bugs inside the house; flying ants and other minute black things the size of a pinhead.

I assumed the colder weather would kill them off..wishful thinking,

even exterminators haven't haven't been able to eradicate these little beggars.

Personally speaking I did not find this winter unusually cold. It was cloudier than others I recall. I've worn a sweat suit for about the usual 3 weeks this year. Down comforter on the bed for the same amount of time and I've taken it off my side.

One becomes reacquainted with the chillier evening temperatures in GDL if one is "fortunate" enough to have a plane flight 4 hours late resulting in a trip home from the airport at 11AM. Downright chilly in front of the terminal versus comfortable at our front door at midnight.

The much hyped El Niño seems to have made it a little chillier and cloudier around here otherwise not much impact. All of those storms and floods predicted for the U.S. west coast haven't amounted to much either.

You're kidding ..right?

Sorry to bear tidings of bad news. More cold weather this week. The projected 80s have disappeared and low 70s now expected. Must be a cold front passing through. I guess I'll have to put the extra blanket back on the bed. I've ridden two wheels since I was fifteen and I have to admit there has been a few times this winter when I buzzed up the carretera and thought, "I'm getting too old for this $h-t!"

NYC came to a standstill... Washington DC was snowed in..my friend in NC was snowed in. We lucked out and just got a skim of snow..cold as hell though. The radical part is.... yesterday it was 75... and got another tornado threat. We're near Memphis, The tornadoes that hit the day before Christmas Eve were unheard of here. This area has never been hit. Luckily it hit six miles away and only knocked out our power for 24 hours..quite a few others weren't so lucky. That was our first power outage over a couple of hours ,in 18 years! This year, floods, snow and tornados are almost constantly in the news. The predication has actually amounted to quite a lot.

We lived in DC when the 1979 President's Day storm hit. Knowing it was coming we prepared fully early and then just enjoyed the experience. It took nearly two weeks to dig out, we didn't even try for a week. We just sledded on the hill behind our place and played in the stuff. We have great memories from that storm.

I even had a generator ready if the power went out so that we could maintain basic lighting and run the furnace circulating pump. Amazingly we didn't need it at all, the power stayed on.

@GeckoGretchen......Just a note, I used to have sky lights with the openings as well...a good suggestion for winds that may enter thru there is to duck tape the opening from outside, lasts a whole season. I now have skylights with opening and closing windows but I must say duct tape is a wonder..for your situation..

These pop can solar heaters would be welcome here. Mount them in a spot which catches the morning sun. One duct tube picking up the coolest air, then another pumping the hot air. The technical performance is quite surprising. The principal cost is the solar electric panel, under $100 from Harbor Freight for 13 watt (lots of power), and a couple of used 12 volt computer fans. Free heat for a lifetime. I wish someone local would create a business making these inexpensive heaters.

http://stonehavenlife.com/7-diy-pop-can-solar-heaters/

Thank you for the link on this. Very interesting.

We use a small moveable propane heater where we try to heat one central room like our living room and just hang out in there. I honestly just shift back and forth from inside to outside and sit in a sunny spot in the garden. When it is cold, we bake more frequently and use the oven to help temporarily warm the house. Or just leave the house and take a walk down any street, you will definitely warm up that way.

Absolutely. Take a walk. Get out in the sun. Put something in the oven Put on a few more clothes. Jeesh! This has been one of the most consistent winters that I have experienced here for the last 6 years. Certainly not cold!. Most years we have 10 days or more of cloudy and rainy weather that makes it really cool Remember the 1 or 2 years that the Chilli Cook off was held during a cold rainy spell. People complaining about cold at this point really surprise me. But of course, everyone feels the weather according to their own body. Guess I just don't see this one. Keep warm, everyone!

I was just wondering this week what most people do here to add some heat to their homes when it gets uncomfortably cold.

As far as warming your house….keep the windows closed at night as soon as the sun drops….then open them up widely during the warm part of the day, say after 10am, for fresh air and warmth. Then shut down at sunset. Rinse and repeat.

It'll be over soon and you'll forget about it until next time when we all start bitching again. :lol:

LOL!

...and, as a child, a sweater was something you put on when your mother was cold.

I've been feeling the cold this year and I'm certainly grateful to have bought my electric mattress cover well before I started feeling that way.

My new trick is to put my pj's in bed about an hour before I need them...mmmm, toasty warm.

Folks each house is different and each person is different. Someone from Southern Califonia might react different than someone growing up in Montana. East west facing houses act differently than north south facing houses. How thick are the walls to hold heat? Do you cook a lot and have heat from stove in house? I have fireplace and three catalytic LP heaters so I don't have to haul them up and down stairs. Other folks put on a sweater and all is fine. Me I want heat and I don't consider a cord of wood and two tanks of LP gas to be expensive per year. Everyone is different. I did not move to Mexico to be cold!!

It is a great joy becoming warm. If at night, you manage to find the right temperature and fall into a deep, comfortable sleep. If it is hot and humid, with nightime temperatures in the 70's and 80's, getting to sleep is a real chore and even the AC can only put a small, expensive dent in it.

Archived