Chapala.com Webboard

Doggie outcome.

Serenity6

I am very pleased to say that a hearing was held today regarding the 7-dog attack on my one dog in the now locked thread.

I appeared with a translator at the Municipale Publico, and the young man appeared with his mommy. Each of us explained our sides and I provided photographic evidence of my dog's injury. The man was ordered to pay me the remainder of the vet bill (which was paid by his mother).

My biggest concern - that the dogs would continue to be walked off-leash by the young man (as he insisted to me he would do just that) was addressed. He was firmly instructed by the judge/cop to never walk his dogs off-leash in residential areas.

He apologized, and I had a very pleasant discussion with his mom privately. She was very apologetic for the incident, for how he conducted himself when he met me later, and assured me they are doing what they can do ensure that their son never, ever repeats such behavior. She is a lovely lady, an animal lover (all their dogs are healthy and taken care of well) and I am very relieved she was there.

So, that's that. Our 2nd hearing at the police station was canceled as I saw no need for it. There is now a record of this incident with the name and address of the owner and the owner is always to have the dogs on-leash. If anyone ever has an issue in the future with these dogs, my complaint can be pulled up.

I am happy to say the system worked, I was treated with great respect despite my poor Spanish, and the hearing was very fair and professional.

And my dog just got half of the turkey bacon I made for myself.

If anyone has any issue with other dangerous dogs with owners that are not in control, I encourage you to go through the process of filing a claim. For me, it was less about the money, and more about public safety and ensuring that nobody gets hurt.

WOW!! Fantastic! I was hoping... but skeptical. So glad you made the effort. Hopefully you and your girl will never have to be afraid again.

Now that my taser should be arriving within a few days, I will be much more comfortable out there. I'm going to assemble some sort of holster, and I'll probably look ridiculous, but a club taser will be much more effective than the bamboo staff. I want to be able to walk my girl without constantly looking over my shoulder or stopping and peeking around every corner to ensure that there's not an incoming pack of wildebeests with sharp teeth.

I didn't know about today's meeting until yesterday - so I had little time to arrange witnesses, but my translator (who also provided attorney services) explained I did not need them. This was sort of an initial hearing to see if we could work it out, and if we could not, then the hearing next week at the police station would be the time for witnesses.

I expected the guy to throw a temper tantrum, outright lie, or argue that it was somehow partly my fault. But none of that happened. I have a sneaking suspicion his mother kicked his a$$ into line beforehand and both parents will continue working on the attitude adjustment. I could tell this was not a surprise occurrence. Attitude was a night and day difference compared to when we met in front of my place. Tough guy persona had vaporized.

It was rather humorous when he was ordered to pay the 250 pesos (so...about $14.00?) and mommy had to open her purse and pay me on his behalf. Room got real quiet.

As for the taser, I ordered a club/taser/flashlight combo and a friend who is driving in will bring it. I don't think shipping it from the USA would have been successful. However, if you go to the other thread that was locked, some posters put up some great links for the Mercado Libre and actual outdoor markets where you can get one.

I didn't know about today's meeting until yesterday - so I had little time to arrange witnesses, but my translator (who also provided attorney services) explained I did not need them. This was sort of an initial hearing to see if we could work it out, and if we could not, then the hearing next week at the police station would be the time for witnesses.

I expected the guy to throw a temper tantrum, outright lie, or argue that it was somehow partly my fault. But none of that happened. I have a sneaking suspicion his mother kicked his a$$ into line beforehand and both parents will continue working on the attitude adjustment. I could tell this was not a surprise occurrence. Attitude was a night and day difference compared to when we met in front of my place. Tough guy persona had vaporized.

It was rather humorous when he was ordered to pay the 250 pesos (so...about $14.00?) and mommy had to open her purse and pay me on his behalf. Room got real quiet.

As for the taser, I ordered a club/taser/flashlight combo and a friend who is driving in will bring it. I don't think shipping it from the USA would have been successful. However, if you go to the other thread that was locked, some posters put up some great links for the Mercado Libre and actual outdoor markets where you can get one.

http://www.taserdemexico.com/mexico/

Crappy vehicle or not I'm asking about your responsibility.

Reading your original post describing the attack it appeared that everyone had unleashed dogs.

In addition to arming yourself are you changing any other behaviors?

Will you be leashing your dog or is everyone else supposed to follow the law to allow you and your dog not to?

Crappy vehicle or not I'm asking about your responsibility.

Reading your original post describing the attack it appeared that everyone had unleashed dogs.

In addition to arming yourself are you changing any other behaviors?

Will you be leashing your dog or is everyone else supposed to follow the law to allow you and your dog not to?

Two new transmissions and the overall crappy quality of Fords gave me Ford-PTSD and I just can't get past your username.

I am disappointed that you evaded answering the question, Serentity. It is a legitimate question.

I don't respond to aggressive posts. There is a right way and a wrong way to ask questions, and his method was the wrong way.

My dog was off-leash as we were about to enter my house. I walk her on-leash in residential areas and off-leash by the lake.

There are plenty of people who walk their dogs off leash and I am not about to go policing them. The entire thread was about that particular pack with a known history of attacking and killing animals and an owner who habitually let them roam and insisted he would continue to do so. I got attacked about 10 feet away from my front gate. Had she been on a leash, I would have either let go (and she still would have been mauled). If I would've held on, I'd have been dragged to the ground and likely been attacked as well.

If someone has a legit question, they can ask nicely, and I am happy to respond. When someone posts such a snide, rude and accusatory comment and outright demands to know what I intend to do, I will not respond.

If the subject is will I keep my dog on a leash until I am safely inside my home? Yes, I will.

All right, I'll ask nicely:

Please tell us what your reasons are for ignoring the leash law, as many others are known to do.

The law was designed to protect both dogs and their owners.

If the owner of the 7 dogs had had them under leash control, this terrible incident would not have happened.

We would really like to know your reasons, since it is puzzling that both parties to this event were ignoring the law.

You are rapidly losing whatever sympathy you had, Serendipity. You admit your dog was off leash in your residential neighborhood, but seem to think that was OK because others do it on the beach, too. You should mend your ways, just as you expect your neighbor to mend his.

You are rapidly losing whatever sympathy you had, Serendipity. You admit your dog was off leash in your residential neighborhood, but seem to think that was OK because others do it on the beach, too. You should mend your ways, just as you expect your neighbor to mend his.

My husband and I like to walk on the Malecon in Ajijic. Our experience of unleashed dogs has not be positive, to say the least. We're not youngsters anymore, so we need to sit and rest along the way. Having a strange dog run up and "make friends" isn't welcome, but when the owner will makes some nonsense excuse like "he's just playing", that doesn't make it okay. Getting nearly tripped by a group of them running uncontrolled isn't fun, either. Somehow, we think our right to walk or sit unmolested is at least equal to that of the owner's desire to walk their dogs, unleashed.

How about just being considerate, as a policy?

"With your new taser do you still plan to walk your dog off leash?" was Fordtruckman's initial (complete) post. What was aggressive in that question? What would have been the right way to ask the question?

I am not being snide. I really do want to know how you viewed it, because I still can not see what was wrong with it.

First, I never proclaimed "YOU ALL BETTER WALK YOUR DOGS ON LEASH". This entire incident and thread involved one particular pack and how the system worked.

Second, I just said that I will keep my dog on-leash until I am in my house. I never hid the fact that she was off-leash. I unhooked her leash as we were about ten feet from my house. I never want her to get hurt again.

Third, I do not need validation or sympathy from the board. I disclosed the incident because it was a public safety issue, and because the system worked, and I encourage others to use the system if something happens to them.

If you all want to scream at me because my dog was also off-leash, you are welcome to do that. Just remember - never did I say that the leash laws did not apply to me or that I could do what I want. I openly stated the facts of the attack, and now it has mutated into me believing I am above the law.

I went into that hearing well aware that I could get fined as my dog wasn't leashed, but I was prepared to pay any fine as I felt I needed to get on record the fact that this particular pack is known to roam and murder animals.

As far as the Malecon, I don't go there anymore. Too much activity and I never would have her off-leash in such an area. However, I will have her off-leash at the lake (and I observe her and always have a leash in hand in case an issue arises). The police told me that that is fine.

I take from your response that there was/is no way to ask that question that would not offend you. That is too bad.

On both this and your previous thread other posters have been caring and supportive. I would ask you to consider how one question set you off. From there you quickly came to: "If you all want to scream at me for having my dog off leash" as though your formerly supportive fellow posters had suddenly turned into a screaming mob.

Archived