Chapala.com Webboard

Nitrogen in tires

Oldyfeliz

Well, the nitrogen content of 'normal' air is 78% so....

The use of nitrogen has generally been determined to be a nice marketing ploy to put money in the pocket of someone else and only reduces air loss by a minimal amount over time. Yes, it is a 'dry' element but how many times has one seen the inside of a tire rusting? If you could get it for free, maybe. Otherwise.....

Jocotepec. Buho's On the south side of the hwy. across from Mariscos restaurant, just before you enter Joco. Just pass the Pemex. Hope this helps. I have done extensive research and believe in Nitro. Less escape of air from the tire. The molecule of Nitro is larger. I use it in all my vehicles. all race cars and Jay Leno use it.

Well, the nitrogen content of 'normal' air is 78% so....

The use of nitrogen has generally been determined to be a nice marketing ploy to put money in the pocket of someone else and only reduces air loss by a minimal amount over time. Yes, it is a 'dry' element but how many times has one seen the inside of a tire rusting? If you could get it for free, maybe. Otherwise.....

y

What a load of BS.

There are many reasons to use nitrogen in your tires. Race cars use it, aircraft use it. It is a very stable gas it doesn't change with temperature, so your tires are always at the correct pressure.. Which means better gas mileage, less tire wear.

It doesn't leak over time like air will, so again better gas mileage, less tire wear. If you have a car with air pressure sensors, they don't get tripped as often as tires with air in them tend to do.

Many gas stations NOB are installing nitrogen tire filling stations.

Jocotepec. Buho's On the south side of the hwy. across from Mariscos restaurant, just before you enter Joco. Just pass the Pemex. Hope this helps. I have done extensive research and believe in Nitro. Less escape of air from the tire. The molecule of Nitro is larger. I use it in all my vehicles. all race cars and Jay Leno use it.

And Elvis liked peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

When I was a teenager, there was a gas station chain in Oklahoma that advertised pink air for your tires. All very tongue in cheek I'm sure. Race car tires get so hot they blister, so the gas inside needs to be able to hold the same pressure no matter what. You? Me? Not so much.

And just how big could a molecule be anyway?

Facts

Nitrogen does not leak out as easily as air so tires stay full longer.

As temperature of the tire rises or lowers less change in pressure with nitrogen.

Nitrogen prevents oxidation of inside of tire due to lack of Oxygen. (also put in food containers to stop oxidation if you want more examples).

Three good reasons to use Nitrogen. Hardly bull**it of any kind just progress folks.

WOW $69.00 USD to fill 4 tires with nitrogen. I got 4 new tires on Friday and payed $6.50 USD [$120.00 pesos] here in San Luis Potosi to have them [4] filled with nitrogen.

You can fill your tires with nitrogen at no cost: Over-inflate by a few pounds. Those smaller oxygen molecules will leak out and leave you with just nitrogen at the recommended pressure in only a few months. :)

y

What a load of BS.

There are many reasons to use nitrogen in your tires. Race cars use it, aircraft use it.

It is a very stable gas it doesn't change with temperature, so your tires are always at the correct pressure..

Which means better gas mileage, less tire wear.

It doesn't leak over time like air will, so again better gas mileage, less tire wear. If you have a car with air pressure sensors, they don't get tripped as often as tires with air in them tend to do.

Many gas stations NOB are installing nitrogen tire filling stations.

"It is a very stable gas it doesn't change with temperature, so your tires are always at the correct pressure.. "

Wow ... Did the Universe change while chemists & physicists were napping?

Did Mother Nature issue an all new handbook, cancelling gravity and the gas Laws?

Really, every single gas, everywhere in the solar system increases in pressure as the temperature rises.

======================

200 years ago: (1808)

Gay-Lussac determined (accurately) that the pressure of a gas is exactly proportional to it's temperature, for a fixed volume (the tire).

Double the temperature, double the pressure:

8806d57de4586887856dfc016e38b2e3.png

or

1c55bf7126dbb88bc38e7264fdd3040a.png

where:

P is the pressure of the gas T is the temperature of the gas (measured in kelvin). k is a constant.

Why?

Newton's Law on Conservation of Energy: 'Energy can be neither created nor destroyed' ... dictates that because temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of a substance; as the kinetic energy of a gas increases, the pressure must increase.

For NITROGEN and other gases, increasing temperature makes the gas 'particles' collide with the container walls more rapidly, thereby exerting increased pressure.

... So, the claims of 'BS' really are from the people selling it, unless you live in a really humid place, like in a jungle or near the sea.

People living near the sea do see rust in their steel rims over time, when using unfiltered humid air.

Factual Conclusions: Pure DRY Nitrogen does help when you live in the humid jungle or near the sea.

or... just use DRY air to fill your tires.

Good quality professional air compressors have good air-water separators => dry air.

;)

That is a old article. Just about all tire shops have nitrogen now. Lots of gas stations NOB have nitrogen tire filling stations. At Cosco nitrogen is free when you buy tires.

The article is old, pricing is much different now, true. But the essence of the article, that the benefits are marginal, and that checking your tire pressure regularly (or having TPMs that give you ongoing great data) is prolly the thing worth planting in your mind.

Archived