Chapala.com Webboard

New Vallarta Quota

tomgates

I just drove by the first section a couple of weeks ago. The interchange at Jala seems to be ready to roll with concrete barriers blocking any access. The Compostela end hasn't been touched in months. The weeds are growing tall along the packed sand road that forms the cloverleaf.

Reports from last year projected a December 2015 completion of the first section Chapalilla-Jala. The latest talks about completion further south sometime in 2017.

Each year they say soon and that has been for many years, ejidos and anybody else that one can manipulate is protesting, main players and those who have properties and businesses on the current route who dont want to lose business, might as well make them poor now and not make any stops on the way. Vallarta is losing out and so are we having to deal with drives from 5 to 10 hours depending on traffic and accidents just because special interests dont want the new highway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

On our return trip from the beach last week we finally saw earth moving trucks and surveyors actually working at the Compostela cloverleaf. This is the first human activity I've seen in 6 months. Perhaps that is a promising sign that this section will open before year end.

I also noted that in our neighborhood in Rincon de Guayabitos a man just moved into a rental for a one year stay. He is working with the Costa Capomo development north of La Peñita. This joint development between Mexico and Portugal with rumors of Carlos Slim money has been on hold for years. There is supposed to be an exit off the cuota beteeen Compostela and Bucerias near Altavista. 

The other exit on the Tepic cuota at Jala is completely finished and ready to go. Large concrete barriers are keeping people from hopping on.

A Google Earth image from mid December 2015 puts the road into a little better perspective. On the bottom between Calexico nd Mazatán is the main cuota. The little squiggle going north through the mountains toward Compostela should connect at the area where the cloverleaf work has resumed. I always thought the cuota would be closer to Compostela but as is evident from this image, the cuota is making a more direct path to Hwy 200. Taking a straight line from Mazatán toward 200 you hit south of Las Varas. A more direct route will definitely cut the time and mileage down/

Cuota.thumb.jpg.0ef9b2b03c2f84357b31c644

Reports said 40% complete a year ago

Mexican girlfriend and I drove from DF to Vallarta in '98 and she had heard there was a new shortcut from Guad.  Sure wasn't Highway 70 if "new"

• 3 weeks later...

From "Namerica"

Mexican construction firm Grupo Ideal was awarded a 7.22bn-peso (US$406mn) public-private partnership contract to build a highway between Las Varas and Puerto Vallarta.

The firm will also operate and maintain it, the country's transport and communications ministry (SCT) said in a statement

• 11 months later...

The Jala to Compostela section is open in both directions. It is a very nice rolling 4 lane highway cut through some serious mountains.

From the Guadalajara side the exit is at km 105, about 20 km shy of the old Chapalilla exit. There is a toll booth at the 20 mile point completed, but not operational.

You are forced to exit at the 34 mile mark to head north the additional 8 miles to Compostela. The 2 lane road is kind of rough almost like it was built as a temporary connector. There is still construction going on shoring up the mountains with protective netting.

There is another toll booth just prior to hitting the interchange we've seen under construction for years. It too is not yet operational.

Once dumping back onto the old cuota you do have to pay at the old toll booth. Chances are they'll tear that one out once the others are collecting tolls.

The total 42 mile trip took 40 minutes. I got stuck behind a slow double remoque for a good part of the Hwy 200 section and had some traffic in Guadalajara but still made the Chapala to Guayabitos trip in just a little over 4 hours.

More recently I read 3 more years to be completed.

The Guadalajara Reporter writes that the next section exiting near Las Varas should be completed at year end or early 2018. 

A local vivero says there will be an exit almost directly across the street from the new Costa Capomo renamed to Costa Canuva complex just outside La Peñita. Carlos Slim has an interest in the development so the exit makes sense.

The final section is still waiting environmental permits so it could take a few more years to connect to Bucerias.

Archived