Chapala.com Webboard

Telcel "Sin Frontera" & "Sin Limite" Plans

Telcel has been offering a variety of plans that contain a fixed number of minutes and an amount of data usage. The plans also say that calls to the US and Canada just count against your plan minutes (Sin Frontera). They also say that all national calls within Mexico are free (Sin Limite).

As you would expect there's a catch.

Both national and international calls count against your minutes. If you make more national calls once your limit has been reached they are free. However if you make calls to the US once you've surpassed your limit you get banged for each minute.

Two situations. Your plan includes 250 minutes. You make 250 minutes of calls to the US and then 250 within Mexico. No extra charge.

If you reverse the situation and make the calls to Mexico first and the US last, all 250 minutes have a charge.

To make it more difficult Telcel offers no way to disclose the number of minutes you've used during the billing period. They did offer a solution: make calls to the US at the beginning of the period.

It took 2 people almost 30 minutes to figure this out at the Telcel office. It makes perfect sense from the cell provider's perspective but not so much for the consumer.

Went to Telcel yesterday, and got their really really new plans ( new as of about a week ago). All plans are identical except for the number of gigabits of data they offer.

all plans include UNLIMITED minutes and messages , and most social networks (in text mode). plans range from 199 pesos for 1gig of data up to over 1,000gig of data in increments of about 100 pesos per month for each additional gig of data. We have two plans here.

mine for 199 with 1gig, and she at $399 with 3gig.

it is a brand new set of plans worth while checking - I could not believe it, but they insisted it is so.

The only catch is that if you are under contract right now, there may be a penalty to switch.

all these new tarriffs include Mexico, USA and Canada - both Long distance and Roaming

They also offer a set of plans called Amigo Sin Limite which include unlimited calls and texts and WhatsApp in the US, Canada and Mexico, Facebook and Twitter in

I just printed out my Telcel bill and it shows details of all calls including the number of minutes for each one. Also, I guess one would have to make a fairly large number of calls, or some very long calls, to use up the 250 minutes. And, if I want to make any long calls I use my Telmex landline which, with the services I have, gives me free calls to the US and Canada.

For me the new plan is a good one as I can make calls when travelling in Canada and the US at no cost. That saves me having to get the Telcel roaming plan that I had to a year ago when in the States. If people need to call me, I can use my VOIP app on my phone if I am connected to WiFi.

I had heard about this, so which is the difference between these plans ?

"Sin Frontera" & "Sin Limite" Plans

I only text and make local calls so which plan would be best for me?

I have the pay-as-you-go Amigo Por Segundo 'plan'. You pay by the second on calls (.85 pesos per minute) and texts are .85 pesos each. I put 100 pesos every two months and never use it all, but I'm not much of a talker.

I had heard about this, so which is the difference between these plans ?

"Sin Frontera" & "Sin Limite" Plans

You might want to go to the Telcel Customer Centre. They usually have an English speaking person there who can explain the differences. On of the English speaking representatives is Damien but he is not always there.

I have the pay-as-you-go Amigo Por Segundo 'plan'. You pay by the second on calls (.85 pesos per minute) and texts are .85 pesos each. I put 100 pesos every two months and never use it all, but I'm not much of a talker.

Yes we have been doing this for years but I use my phone a lot.

You might want to go to the Telcel Customer Centre. They usually have an English speaking person there who can explain the differences. On of the English speaking representatives is Damien but he is not always there.

Ok thanks

IUSACELL (AT&T) has an Unlimited plan. Pay 10 months in advances ($4000 pesos) and get an additional 14 months for FREE! 2 years of service works out to $168 pesos per month and can call and use the phone between Mexico, USA and Canada calling back and forth between these countries UNLIMITED!

Signed up with Alejandro at his Chapala store and just love it! I'm back NOB and my wife calls me daily from Joco and calls her son in Canada, no additional charges. When she comes up here, she'll be able to call family in Mexico just as if she never left there. The plan does not recognize borders. It's essentially a North American Continent plan. Does Telcel have anything like this for less than $10US per month? By the way, texting and internet is included though we don't use it.

Since late December Telcel came out with a true Sin Limite Sin Frontera plan. Unlimited calls to Mexico US and Canada for $199/mo with 1gb of Internet and $239 for 1.5,

It does pay to keep up with these ever changing plans and keep switching until you find the one cheapest for your usage.

You're supposed to stay on one plan for 6 months before changing but they allowed me to change out of one I only had for a month. Perhaps the new AT&T plan was the cause? Competetion certainly does benefit the consumer.

Archived