Chapala.com Webboard

Looking to share a shipping container...

DeborahM

• 2 weeks later...

Some people just moved back to the U.S. using Strom White "mini" container modules. I am sure the system is international. The only problem is that the movers have to pack the boxes into the container. The boxes have to meet internationally agreed upon standards, otherwise any insurance claims for damaged items will be void.

We used Winston at Chapala Movers. He had a trailer delivered to our house in the U.S. We packed our furniture and boxes into the trailer and it was picked up the next day. The driver put up a "partition" and then we understand additional freight was packed in front of ours. Worked out great and the cost was less than other quotes we received. We paid based on the amount if space we used in the trailer.

I would contact moving companies in your area of Canada. Most of the larger ones do international moves and know all the ropes. I wouldn't use a Mexican company for the first part of the move. The Canadian moving company will arrange the Mexican part of the move.

From my research and this is just my opinion, those are the two most expensive movers and they won't even bring all your belongings.

Huh??? As mentioned above we used Lake Chapala Movers and they most definitely brought all our belongings. Is there something we should know about or that people should be concerned about? Really curious.

We also did some research on pricing and we didn't find Lake Chapala Movers' prices to be "expensive" - quite the opposite compared to other options we considered.

I would contact moving companies in your area of Canada. Most of the larger ones do international moves and know all the ropes. I wouldn't use a Mexican company for the first part of the move. The Canadian moving company will arrange the Mexican part of the move.

While we were moving from the U.S. and not Canada we found Winston at Lake Chapala Movers to be extremely knowledgeable about the requirements for both the U.S. & Mexican portions of the move. I would actually think that getting things OUT of one country to another is easier than INTO another country. You are not going to pay duty or deal with much paperwork leaving Canada but when you pass through the U.S. and especially when your belongings arrive in Mexico you want someone that thoroughly understands that portion of the move. While Lake Chapala Movers does some local and/or moves within Mexico the vast majority of their business involves international moves - mostly from the U.S. and/or Canada.

Winston speaks perfect English and worked for major companies in international transportation for several decades.

I would also expect that the larger moving companies based in Canada would be by far the most expensive option.

Just my thoughts based on our actual experience. YMMV!

Archived