Chapala.com Webboard

Taxi Fares along Lakeside

sasesofe

It's ridiculous here. In SCLC, Chiapas, it's $30 pesos pretty much anywhere in the city and it's a LOT bigger than here.

Valerie :)

I think it is the "gotcha factor". So many more elderly and/or infirm and/or without their own vehicle being forced to take taxis here as there is no other transportation available to them and the local cabbies rub their hands in glee at the number of " cash cows" that are forced to pay their outrageous prices or have no transportation. Let us not forget the huge number of older snowbirds, most of whom fly down and are taxi dependent. This place is a gold mine for these greedy taxistas. Please make sure you give a large tip, also!!!

The taxis here are a rip-off relative to other places I've visited in Mexico, and I've been to at least sixteen states. But it's not just the taxis. Even the local busses here are out of line with other places in the country. No idea why, but public transport in this area is expensive…for Mexico.

Having said that, unless there are other special circumstances involved not mentioned in the original post, $200 pesos from Cruz Roja to the Clinic in Ajijic constitutes theft.

I would think that there are many things much more expensive here relative to other places in Mexico (not just transportation) which is not tourist destination or gringolandia but you have to live there. Always ask for price before agree on service or goods and do not be shy to bargain (with smile). Many people fresh here from North will think that 200 pesos from Chapala to Ajijic is a bargain in comparison to where they came from and raise the price for everybody. Many Mexicans see us as an easy target.

It did not take long, after our move to Ajijic in 2001, to discover that prices tended to be around 30% higher than in Jocotopec, or even Tlaquepaque and Guadalajara, for most household items. Chapala fell somewhere in between. So, we avoided shopping in Ajijic. Then, as we became more able in Spanish, we saved even more. So, you may choose to live in Ajijic, but you certainly do not have to pay the “gringo tax“ by shopping there.

My point is simply that there is obvious gouging across the board; not just by taxistas. It is also worse in high season than in the summer months, and also worse for those who speak only English or are confused by the local currency, etc.

I have been told that there is a surcharge for evening/ night trips, not sure what it is, but certainly not so high as to make a 200 peso trip. I try not to take too many taxi rides, as the price is different with each driver, time of day, etc. Uber may be a good thing, know your fare prior to ordering and no money changing hands

Archived