Chapala.com Webboard

Clay containers to store fresh garlic

Natasha

Never had a problem... just put whole heads of garlic in with onions in a basket in kitchen.

That is, of course, until Robbie the (W)recker hit town! (10 month old ON THE GO cat!!)

He found the stash, and thinks it's great fun to take the garlic, play with it, and then let me play hide-and-seek to find it. Which is not a problem.... except garlic is bad for cats, and I don't dare take a chance on him eating some.

So.... has anyone ever seen locally those little clay garlic storage pots with some air holes, but more importantly LIDS, so I can ruin Robbie's fun day (yet again), but keep him safe?

Good thought, English Rose, but I think there would not be enough air flow. I've never paid much attention to these things as I never needed one, but seems they are "hole-y-er"!

On the other hand, I have something upended over the garlic for now, and there's always the chance if it's out of sight for a little while, he'll lose interest and head off to other things to destroy. (He jumps straight up in my walk-in closet, grabs clothing between his paws, and brings stuff down in a heap so he can make a "nest" on the floor.........)

Gracias to both

There's something about garlic and cats.

In a garden one time we planted garlic. Our two Siamese went directly and repeatedly to the little garlic plot. Where they peed on it. Of course ruined the crop.

I'd be curious to know if you find the kind of garlic pot you're looking for if Robbie will still smell it and try to get at it.

Lexy

In his case, was not the smell so much as "oh look -- something new and interesting to pick up, toss on the floor, and bat around..."

My main concern is that garlic, like onions, can cause anemia in cats so don't want him to accidentally (or on purpose) eat any OR develop a taste for it.

Will check out consignment shops. The containers are cheap at Amazon, but not worth he cost to ship! (And so far Robbie seems to have moved on to newer and greater challenges..... getting a cake cover off the top of the fridge, for instance..... with a little help from Malcolm, his partner- in-crime!)

Archived