Chapala.com Webboard

Mexico vs US drug prices

CHILLIN

Just read an article yesterday about drug pricing.... Big Pharm in US was/is charging $1,000 per pill for a certain 'new' Hep-C wonder drug. At the same time they are selling this drug to International companies to sell, in say India, as a generic for..... $10 per pill! Same formula, same pill, just not in the US where there is no 'control' on pricing.

Shame on them....

It's called ROI (Return On Investment). Big Pharma wants to recover the cost of development of the drugs (plus profit for shareholders) from those that can most afford it (rich Americans & Europeans),

So one drug produced in Mexico and sold in Mexico for $2.50 and then repackaged and sent to the US Pharma company for resale at $40.00 is mentioned in the link. Big Pharma claims the cost to bring one drug to market is $2.6 Billion. Well I guess that leaves $ 2,999,999,997.50 for lobbyists and congress, golf trips to Ireland for the Doctors. An accounting entry "marketing".

tumblr_n4fjz0FnHD1qb0snwo5_250.gif

Under the guise of lowering the cost of medical care the nightmare Affordable Care Act was passed. Boy was the USA full of suckers. It has only raised healthcare cost and insurance premiums. If you really wanted to make a difference in cost you would pass laws or executive orders to stop Pharma from charging more in the USA for any pharmacetuial sold in teh country that they charge in other countries. Instead they will pass executive orders dissallowing importation by individuals of pharmecuticals from less expensive sources. NO ONE has your interest at heart. If you really wanted to make a difference you would pass laws forcing results (% success & failures) of most proceedures at most hospitals and clinics be published.

One sure way to lower healthcare costs would be to outlaw health insurance in any form, public or private. When the actual consumers of such had to deal directly with the providers the laws of supply and demand would quickly bring most prices down. But I'm not holding my breath that will ever happen. LOL

Also one sure way to get rich is to look for companies that are price gouging and buy their stock. Get in on the gouging. I convinced several friends to buy stock in Big Oil when they were convinced they were fixing the prices and gouging us little guys. I bet they're happy now.

I've been doing some research for someone on drugs and drug prices. What you find will curl your hair. Watch the ads and then go look up the prices.

One of my favorites is Jublia, a topical solution for toe fungus. It is sold under prescription only so that insurance will cover it. Cost averages about $400 a week, that is $20,000 for a years treatment and the cure rate is 16%. You can get better results with white vinegar applied twice a day.

The HepC drugs run up to $200,000 for a treatment course and under $900 in India. Since most are pills, you can go to India, get 90 days of pills and go on a vacation for 3 months and come out well ahead. The US will not let you bring the pills into the US and you have to take 1 a day.

There is a new blood thinner that is being heavily advertised. It will replace Warfarin but the results are about the same. Costs $9000 a year where Warfarin in $4 a month.

There's also a new drug for some scaly rash. 4 months costs $90,000 and is 60% effective. They run a commercial where some good looking gal spots this on a guy and turns away in disgust. For $90,000 he can............ this is a family show.

When I can to MX and found out that I could just walk in and buy almost anything without a prescription, it just amazed me. I expected to find dead people all over the parking lot. Now, I can't imagine having to go pay a doc $90 to get a one year prescription for a simple BP medicine.

I pay less using the same prescriptions here without insurance than in the US with insurance.

And listen carefully to those commercials when they talk about the possible side effects. I wouldn't try most of those drugs if they were free!

If you have thoughts of suicide stop taking XXXXXX and see your Dr. Yeah, right.

The prices of drugs is all over the place .a few years ago I ran out of a couple of medecine while in Frence and one drug that was cheap in Mexico was very expensive in France and an expensive drug in France was cheap in Mexico. Nexium is half the price in France than it is in Mexico so go figure..

Well, Im not bald. Why? Doc in US proscribed Propecia (for male pattern baldness for receding hairlines) which is really finasteride but then when I came to Mexico years ago I found that Propecia is 1mg finasteride and Proscar generic finasteride for cancer was 180 pesos for 5mg tabs so taking on every other day gave same effect, costing about $5US per month instead of the $80 to $100US Propecia was costing monthly. Check out active ingredients and you may find something similar.

• 2 weeks later...

Under the guise of lowering the cost of medical care the nightmare Affordable Care Act was passed. Boy was the USA full of suckers. It has only raised healthcare cost and insurance premiums. If you really wanted to make a difference in cost you would pass laws or executive orders to stop Pharma from charging more in the USA for any pharmacetuial sold in teh country that they charge in other countries. Instead they will pass executive orders dissallowing importation by individuals of pharmecuticals from less expensive sources. NO ONE has your interest at heart. If you really wanted to make a difference you would pass laws forcing results (% success & failures) of most proceedures at most hospitals and clinics be published.

You make it sound so easy. One reason Mexdrugs are so cheap is that them can dump all their green goo in the river without a problem .. like thy do at the the chem factory 2 klicks from my pueblo.

Archived