Chapala.com Webboard

Pian Thai Restaurant-Give it a try.

sm1mex

We went the other night and of the two different deep fried appetizers it was apparent that both had been fried in "overused" oil and one of the two dishes that had shrimp filling was so overwhelmed with disgusting cream cheese that it was inedible.  When the waitress removed our plates she didn't even ask if something was wrong despite knowing that we had not eaten one of the appetizer servings.  We asked which of the curry dishes would she recommend for someone seeking "hot and spicy".  She recommended a "red curry" dish and said it was "very hot".  We wanted to simply share the dish.  When it arrived it came in what would be referred to as an average sized breakfast cereal bowl.  It looked like soup, had miniscule pieces of what could have been chicken (at one time) bamboo shoots, chewy under cooked egg plant, and not much else and the broth.....could have been dishwater except that at least some dishwater would have flavor from the yet to be washed plates. 

We each took a taste, asked for our bill......paid and left.  Did anyone ask why we were leaving?   Not one word!  Oh and yes as for the agua fresca....my wife ordered Jamaica.....about a six ounce glass overly sweet and not representative of what's readily available throughout Mexico in even the most minimalist of eateries..

This restaurant will not be there much longer and that's a definite!  Actually it's not much of a restaurant at all and is certainly unworthy of some of the "positive"comments that have been posted herein.  I would be remiss if I didn't say that what we were served the other evening at a cost of just over $300.00pesos would not have had an ingredient cost of more than $20.00pesos and that's the "cold hard truth". 

Another sad, sad attempt at an eatery that will simply disappear and some people will wonder why?

I appreciate your review.  There was so much praise given when they first opened in that location that I had been eager to try it.  This was a small mystery because I had such a bad experience when the same people (?) had the Thai restaurant in Laguna Mall which closed. Could this be a new chef?  In any case, sounds like it's the same old, same old.  Too bad.  Love Thai food. 

I haven't been for months and I'm so sorry to hear that the quality has deteriorated.  I liked the Thai restaurant when it was behind the Pemex on the Libramiento and was disappointed when it closed.  When Pian Thai I enjoyed their food and appreciated that they had combo plates.  I understand that one of the original owners of Pian Thai who was a waitress at Taste of Thai left sometime last year but don't know if the chef is the same one.  Whatever the situation, it is sad that a restaurant that was operating to rave reviews has gone so far downhill.

It's rated 4.5 out of 5 on TripAdvisor and there are plenty of others who approve of and rate this restaurant highly.  

The quality has not deteriorated from our experience. Every single time we have visited this restaurant we've received great, friendly service and great food. From the appetizers to tofu to chicken to curry dishes, we've never had a complaint. This is one of a few decent restaurants in the area for vegetarians and vegans to frequent even if it's not "authentic" Thai food.  

I hope people take one or two critical opinions about this restaurant at face value, as just that person's opinion and not a unanimous write-off of a restaurant's worthiness or contribution to this community.

You've been lucky, that's all. This thread is not the only one about the place. And I know some of the people here who have stopped liking it. More Liana, for example, is a food service professional, specializing in Asian cuisines, and knows her stuff. Not that it takes an expert to judge the taste of a dish, as the many others will attest. This does not mean you should stop going some place you like. But it's not "one or two" critical opinions.

1 hour ago, bradshoe said:

We used to really like this place.  Just not the same quality or taste.

I tried this place when it was in the Laguna Mall.  They ignored our reservation for 8, seated another party there even though we arrived early, crammed us into a table suitable for four, got the order wrong and one person didn't get served until the rest were finished and received a wrong dish at that.  It was a miserable experience from the get go.  Never went back.  Who needs that?

We had a pleasant experience here last week. The food was good. I didn`t judge it according to a "real" Thai restaurant. The service was good. We 3 left happy enough. I`d go back.  I`m not an epicurean.

That "up and down" aspect seems to be common here. I don't have occasion to dine there often but so far it has been good each time. Hopefully my luck will hold. If not, there are plenty of other restaurants to choose from -- and new ones opening all the time.

On 5/25/2016 at 2:16 PM, Xena said:

That "up and down" aspect seems to be common here. I don't have occasion to dine there often but so far it has been good each time. Hopefully my luck will hold. If not, there are plenty of other restaurants to choose from -- and new ones opening all the time.

Were you there during this hot spell?  If so, how was the temperature situation? 

I was there back at the beginning of this hot spell at about 2 in the afternoon. We sat upstairs. Although it was warm it was not hot. However, it has since gotten hotter and my tolerance is now lower so I don't know how it would feel now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2016 at 6:02 PM, kiminmexico said:

I think that all of us that live here and have been to many of the restaurants have very low expectations. 

...and a good thing, too......but there are limits.  I tried Pad Thai recently and was very disappointed.  The good news is that their upper level is comfortable, weather wise.

As it happens, Cocinart serves some Asian dishes as "specials", including Pad Thai, which are much better IMO. It was on their weekly specials this week.  My dining companion ordered it today and it came with a decent number of juicy shrimp on it.  She said it was excellent.  I think I'll enjoy them there when they are on special and leave Pien to others.

On 5/24/2016 at 6:37 PM, gringal said:

I tried this place when it was in the Laguna Mall.  They ignored our reservation for 8, seated another party there even though we arrived early, crammed us into a table suitable for four, got the order wrong and one person didn't get served until the rest were finished and received a wrong dish at that.  It was a miserable experience from the get go.  Never went back.  Who needs that?

While the chef is the same as the place in CentronLaguna, at least to my understanding, the ownership/management is not.  And i believe the ownership/management has changed somewhat since Tepetate Pian Thai opened.

11 hours ago, bdlngton said:

While the chef is the same as the place in CentronLaguna, at least to my understanding, the ownership/management is not.  And i believe the ownership/management has changed somewhat since Tepetate Pian Thai opened.

11 hours ago, bdlngton said:

When I tried it this week, the management may have changed and there were no problems with seating or service, but the same chef produced the same sort of food. Greasy, tiny bits of fried chicken in the Pad Thai, greasy rolls, lack of flavor in general.  As in all things edible, YMMV. Some folks are happiest when having a deep fried, Southern style supper.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the food there; just not my cuppa. Since we all eat, we're all food critics.;)

Archived