Chapala.com Webboard

Pian Thai Restaurant-Give it a try.

sm1mex

Between Juarez and Aquilles Serdan, just barely. If you're standing at the corner of Hidalgo and Juarz in front of the papeleria you can see their sign two doors west. Thanks to The Traveler for reminding us of this great place. We've never had a problem parking, maybe just lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

I ate at Pian on Monday. If you haven't eaten much Thai cooking in other places, I can understand why you might think this food is good--it tastes good. If you have, you know better. Tasting 'good' and being actual Thai food are truly not the same thing.

My companion ordered two shrimp dishes: the tom yum soup to share with me and a dish with noodles. The shrimp that topped the noodles were delicious, but otherwise the dishes were nondescript and flavorless compared to properly prepared Thai food. Tom yum soup is a hot and sour soup--this soup was neither hot (spicy) nor sour and was served tepid. I ordered chicken basil; there was no discernible basil in the dish. Thai food is usually very spicy; there wasn't a hint of spice in anything on the table.

There's no Thai food in Mexico City either, unfortunately.

We went with friends a couple of months ago and after leaving, I could remember no particular flavor from the meal at all. It was all bland and nothing told me to go back again. Then I read all the posts saying it is marvelous, so thank you More Liana for your post. I didn't imagine it.

Sorry, did I say something wrong? First, let me refresh your memory on the preceding posts in this thread describing how lifeless the food apparently is at this place. Then look at Slainte's comment: "It might not fly in Bangkok, but it is very popular here. Maybe it should be labeled Mexican/Thai fusion".

All I was doing was pointing out that exactly the same situation exists with most sushi restaurants here: "It might not fly in Japan, but is is very popular here. Maybe it should be labeled Mexican/Japanese fusion." What about that statement makes you so unhappy that you are ready to jump on me?

By the way, Suehiro in Guadalajara serves up very good sushi, since you'd like me to say something positive. http://www.suehiro.com.mx/

When I go to any restaurant at Lakeside that features food from a country other than Mexico I make an immediate assumption that in a small area like this I am not going to have authentic dishes. What I am expecting is good service, consistent quality of what is served, and something different from what other restaurants serve. They can call it what they want It's ok with me.

I have been to Thailand more than one time and know the difference between what I get here and what Pian serves.. It may not be authentic but I have enjoyed it. The other things I look for in a restaurant are there and I am content.

• 3 months later...

PIAN THAI (TEPETATE) - Never have we ever had such bland, totally uninteresting and woefully overpriced miniaturized portions of what could never, ever pass for Thai or any other type of Asian/oriental food.  Impossible to believe that they have a following!  

I'd have to say it was much better when it opened, then hit a steep decline. Then, the inevitable: partners left, cooks changed, prices went up, attitudes got surly, and quality and portions went down. Nice agua frescas, though... was particularly unimpressed the last time, when they overcharged... because they had given out the "old" menu, and they wouldn't even discuss honouring the old price. I'd say it's pretty easy to lose clientele forever over 20 pesos, except of course the quality and taste was already doing them in.

We were there just the other day and our service was excellent, the portions large (I took some home).  I did ask them to please hold some of the sugar as the dish was way too sweet the last time we went (which was probably 6 months ago).  They did as I asked and to me the food was very good.  I don't like mine really hot so was fine by me.  I will say that 6 months ago when we went I said I would not go back because the service was "surly" ... really bad.  But never say never ... we did go back and it was the complete opposite of the service we had before.

Archived