Chapala.com Webboard

rent paid in pesos, what's the law?

Lexy

And, you, have some odd ideas for someone who does.

Why is it you are allowed personal attacks? Are you friends with the moderators? Is that why you act like you are in grade school? Refute what I write with some facts but stop your whining and personal attacks.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most rentals and most real estate for sale in lakeside have been openly advertised in US Dollars for probably 25 or 30 years without a single issue about it being illegal. Give it up, Joco.

Because someone has gotten away with violating the law doesn't make it legal after awhile. How long did it take until one realtor complained that he couldn't discount his fee because of fee price fixing. He won by the way, but the fee fixing went on for decades before it was stopped.

Funny that you think because the law has been violated for decades, that it must be OK. Every suit is against one landlord at a time and I bet most of the landlords settle before it gets to a judge.

This area needs a Tenants' Association that can sue several property managers and landlords at a time.

Better yet, Profeco getting involved over the advertising in dollars and consumer violations of raising rent with the exchange rate would be better because it can issue hefty fines, not just tell a landlord to stop.

And then there are the folks who do not have a US account because they are not from the US. Some of us base our finances on the CDN dollar vs the MX peso and then a third party comes in and asks for their rent in US dollars. The USD and the CDN dollar presently have 30% difference in the US's favor. I agree, the country you are in should dictate the currency you use, unless you are buying a product from the USA. Seems pretty straight forward.

It also keeps anyone not from the U.S. from renting, Europeans, Mexicans, South Americans anyone without a U.S. account.

Can you imagine in the U.S. or Canada a landlord advertising a property and stating that he does not rent to Blacks, Browns, Reds, or Yellows, only Whites and better yet, only WASPS?

It's the same thing as here. Pure discrimination against anyone who is not from the U.S.

Anyone who goes to Profeco, taking Joco's advice, please post the results here.

What do you think will happen? Do you think the complainant will be physically kicked out? Do you think they will be harmed in some way for talking to Profeco?

I don't rent in dollars or I would try it.

What do you think will happen? Do you think the complainant will be physically kicked out? Do you think they will be harmed in some way for talking to Profeco?

I don't rent in dollars or I would try it.

Wow, I think I see what the problem here is.

Maybe we need to stop piling on and look at this from a different perspective.

Archived