Chapala.com Webboard

Trip's Burgers

solajijic

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to Trip's alone and had the single hamburger with no onions or fries. Trip's 'sauce' overwhelmed the burger which was miniscule. I will never go back. The roll was much too large for a beef patty of that size. Is a burger joint about the beef or the added sauce?

I kinda like Chillin for a good burger but can't beat Trips fries. Chillin gives you the choice of 10 frozen Walmart fries or 4 really good, lightly battered onion rings. If Trips had Chillins burgers or Chillin had Trips fries and quantity then heaven would be in the blessed union!

I went to Trip's alone and had the single hamburger with no onions or fries. Trip's 'sauce' overwhelmed the burger which was miniscule. I will never go back. The roll was much too large for a beef patty of that size. Is a burger joint about the beef or the added sauce?

The fans of Trip's must love the sauce. Otherwise, I found it to be an overpriced semi-burger with way too much "goo". I know, that's harsh, but comparisons are the kicker. My lunch today was a cheese burger with a nice stack of sweet potato fries at Arileo's. There are two burger choices: Fancy huge burger with bacon, cheese and choice of sides: 88 pesos. Lunch menu burger (my choice): 60 pesos. (Can't finish the larger one) Good size, quality meat: NO sauce included. Very nice, generous portion of cheese. Ketchup, mayo, lettuce, pickles and tomato on the side, along with a choice of regular, sweet potato fries, salad, veggies or mixed fries..

It doesn't matter what you order.... they bring good chips, freshly made pico de gallo and semi-fiery salsa first.

As I said in a previous post, I really like Yves sirloin patty melt, but for true Hamburger hamburgers, I'm giving either of Arileo's burgers a gold star and my personal "best of lakeside" award. Others are good, but.........well, as always, YMMV. ^_^

While I'll definitely give Trip's a second chance, I was underwhelmed on my first visit. The staff were friendly and the FFs were great (I love the shoestring type), but the burger was tasteless. It had absolutely no seasoning on it and all I could taste was sauce and bun. The burger was miniscule for the price.

For me, Trips is a journey of nostalgia and I enjoy that journey. Agree that Arileo makes a mighty fine burger but my hands down favorite burger is still the one grilled in my own kitchen using 8+ oz patties of beef ground to the fat/lean proportion recommended by Chef Nancy Silverton + cheese + bacon + tomato and onion and crunchy lettuce from my own garden and real potato fries cut & deep fried just the way I like them. I avoid pre-packaged ground meat as if it were carrying the plague and not knowing the what, when and how of the meat grinding is one reason I seldom choose hamburger from the menu when dining in restaurants.. To each our own.

Silverton burgers - had to look that one up! http://articles.latimes.com/2013/may/20/food/la-fo-encore070408

Makes a lot of sense - only difference is that the burger or meatballs that I like are 80% beef and 20% pork. I buy beef stew and belly pork (skin removed) and run them through the grinder on coarse. You need a really hot fire to get that crisp, roasted flavor. I use the Thai Bucket Stove with mesquite charcoal and tropical hardwood chunks (700 to 800 degrees F?). Local beef, including black angus and sirloin, just does not have enough flavor to carry a good burger. The "meatball" mix only requires a bit of salt/pepper (for familiarity) and perhaps a dash or two of Worchestershire Sauce.

For oven fries, I like Marie Piper potatoes, but I haven't had those since Vancouver's chippies. I have a source now, and our gardener, who is semi-retiring soon, seems interested in growing them organically on his farm (and selling them to local restaurants). I have also started to grow yellow sweet potatoes (camotes) - these are popular all over the world except in Northern climes. Hard to find, but Superlake had some in recently, and I am cloning from those. Don't know how they will grow, the gardener was muttering something about they had to be killed by frost to taste best, but I think he was talking about parsnips.

Camotes - here's the food party that we have been missing:

http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/2145-mexican-sweet-potatoes-from-soup-to-dessert-los-camotes

When using top quality burger meat: I read a blurb on the food section of the 'net that adding a good two tablespoons or more of Worchestershire sauce per pound and mixing it in well before cooking the burger makes all the difference. I've found that to be true. ^_^

For getting your hands on the best meat, find a nice roast and tell the butcher to grind it (before your beady eyes). That way, you'll know what's in it.

Back up NOB, I knew someone who had the word on how the big chain groceries did hamburger. All the scraps went in barrels and were shipped to a big central processing place, where they were all mixed together and packaged for the stores. Yuck.

When purchasing frozen fries for deep or pan-frying, I stick to McCain's, after recently testing all the locally available brands. They cost more, but are somehow better prepared and frozen . They will give you fries as good as any of the best places here, like Mario's, if cooked properly. (For example, the standard double-fry method.) One thing to note: medium heat on the stovetop burner, and use regular cut fries, not shoestring. A frozen fry needs the time to cook the inside as well as to crisp the outside, and the shoestrings are too thin: they burn before they are cooked.

Back up NOB, I knew someone who had the word on how the big chain groceries did hamburger. All the scraps went in barrels and were shipped to a big central processing place, where they were all mixed together and packaged for the stores. Yuck.

Don't you remember all the hoopla about Pink Slime a few years ago? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_slime

This thread is wandering further and further away from talking about a local restaurant.

I ate at Trip's for the second time yesterday and enjoyed it again very much. It is a separate treat from the other burgers around here, a reminder of fast food burgers at their best.

The whole food court area was busy. Trip's had a steady flow of customers the whole time we were there. He is doing well with his concept as he deserves to.

Good job Trip and employees!

"This thread is wandering further and further away from talking about a local restaurant"

True enough, but threads do tend to wander and don't you think that everything that could be said, good or bad, has been said about Trip's?

Yes, it has. So, let it end. Start a new thread (or threads) about making burgers at home or whatever.

Archived