Chapala.com Webboard

Trip's Burgers

solajijic

Well shoot, we usually give a place a while to settle in before wandering over to try it out. Early reviews were burger size, over salt on the fries and milkshake issues.

We found all of those were still items of contention on our visit this afternoon.

The burger tastes great, we had doubles with everything.

Husband wants the two patties put together so it will be a little thicker and have bigger bun coverage. He will go without the grilled onions because they made the bun mushy because the onions were "wet'. They should be drained almost dry.

The fries were way too salty. Way Way too salty.

The vanilla shake had wonderful flavor but was the consistency of a soft swirl ice cream cone and in no way was it drinkable. Spoon use only.

We won't bother again.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went last week and enjoyed it immensely. Had the double with fries and a drink. Everything was salted perfectly and delicious. The fries were cooked to perfection, slightly crip surface and soft inside. I loved the grilled onions. The mix of flavors was perfect. Next time I will get a single patty and no cheese so I can try the shake for dessert.

The reason I wanted to try Trip's for myself was because of the widely varying reviews. I was prepared to love it or to hate it or anything in between. I loved it and look forward to indulging myself again soonest.

I remember when Alex's Pasta Bar first opened. I also felt then as though the reviews could not have possibly been written by people who had eaten at the same place. When I read such varying reviews it makes me determined to try it for myself.

NLU, no place in the middle of Mexico is ever going to make you forget a favorite NOB food. It just serves as a substitute until you can get your fav again. Trip's reminded me of In N Out Burger enough to keep me satisfied until I am next NOB.

When we had to move to Tucson, we tried a In and Out burger once, but decided that we would never try another. What the heck does anyone find good about them? In Chapala, we liked Soriana ground beef; Comercial 80/20 for hamburgers made at home.

When we had to move to Tucson, we tried a In and Out burger once, but decided that we would never try another. What the heck does anyone find good about them? In Chapala, we liked Soriana ground beef; Comercial 80/20 for hamburgers made at home.

For starters they are the best fast food burgers available , they taste good and they treat their employees well..

What didn't you like about them?

For starters they are the best fast food burgers available , they taste good and they treat their employees well..

What didn't you like about them?

They were thin, nondescript and overpriced; just nothing to write home about. Admittedly, we almost never eat hamburgers or anything else in fast food joints. I would rather stop at a grocery and get sandwich makings.

They were thin, nondescript and overpriced; just nothing to write home about. Admittedly, we almost never eat hamburgers or anything else in fast food joints. I would rather stop at a grocery and get sandwich makings.

Over priced??

Well,Julia Child,Thomas Keller,Anthony Bourdain all like In N Out,my guess is that they know a little more than you about good food,not to mention the millions of others who disagree with your opinion.

I remember when Alex's Pasta Bar first opened. I also felt then as though the reviews could not have possibly been written by people who had eaten at the same place. When I read such varying reviews it makes me determined to try it for myself.

NLU, no place in the middle of Mexico is ever going to make you forget a favorite NOB food. It just serves as a substitute until you can get your fav again. Trip's reminded me of In N Out Burger enough to keep me satisfied until I am next NOB.

It's important to consier the source. Some people are just complainers no matter where they go. Also, "not to ones particular taste" does not make a restaurant bad. Taste is subjective.

Interesting. I've tried burger chains all across the east coast of the U.S. and the southern states (Checkers, Whataburger, Sonic, etc), and most of them taste like they are made of hay with salt added. I admit I was curious when I saw my first Carl's Jr. That may have been the worst burger I ever had. They have to put BBQ sauce on them to make them edible, as far as I'm concerned. Yet my best friend for years loved them. I'll put a Harvey Burger up against any of 'em, for flavour. But there's a place called The Works that is wowser (and also too damned expensive).

"Harvey's" is a Canadian burger chain that has been around for over 40 years. Still do a pretty good job and the fires are fresh cut not cooked from frozen.

What/where is a "Harvey burger?" I notice you didn't compare it to In & Out or 5 Guys, the brands we're raving about.

An inside comment for my Canadian friends. Started in Ontario; was the first place to give you a "salad bar" selection of toppings, sort of like Subway. They also make the best onion rings I've ever had anywhere.

I don't recall specifically going to an In & Out or a 5 Guys, and there are other places too numerous to remember... all cookie-cutter chains. Makes one really weary after a while. From comments I've seen on this board, In & Out could easily be one of those, but right now there's no barometer... no "control" burger against which to compare. If anyone has eaten at any of the chains I did remember, here's hoping In & Out is better. If they match up in terms of flavour, then I would most definitely have a better sense of who likes what. (I mean, there are people who go absolutely bonkers for White Castle, which just makes me say "Wha...??")

If, on the other hand, the reviews I read on the Web that say In & Out beat out 53 other burger places in California as the number One (http://consumerist.com/2011/06/30/science-confirms-in-n-out-burger-is-the-best-and-mcdonalds-the-worst/), and the feeling here is that Trip's is as good as those, then there is definitely something wrong with the tastebuds of the people who took the survey. Trip's has absolutely no flavour, as far as I'm concerned. If it wasn't for the toppings, it frankly wouldn't be worthwhile.

Maybe the discussion should be "Excellent in this category/level of fast-food joint". For instance, even though The Works is a chain, and you get your order fast or at the drive-through, I wouldn't try to compare it to McDonalds... that would be like saying steak and Burker Kings are the same.

Since neither 5 guys nor Harvey's nor Inn'nOut are available here.......uh....why are people making comparisons with the local places?

There are at least 15 places in Lakeside where you can get a burger and some are very good. Why not just pick one or more and be happy that the one you're near is the one you love? :unsure:

BTW, my favorite ground meat concoction around here is the Sirloin Patty Melt at Yves. Good meat on toasted wheat bread; lots of cheese. Grilled onions in quantities to your taste. Comes with fries, but they'll give you mixed fruit instead if you ask. Just had it for lunch. Mmmm.

I think because one always compares what they know against what they discover. (And I wanted to see if I got any Harvey comments, too.) And in my comment, I was hoping there would be others who had tried the places I mentioned to see how they stack up, since I don't have the tastebud "memory" of In & Out or 5 Guys.

I think because one always compares what they know against what they discover. (And I wanted to see if I got any Harvey comments, too.) And in my comment, I was hoping there would be others who had tried the places I mentioned to see how they stack up, since I don't have the tastebud "memory" of In & Out or 5 Guys.

I made the comment since I don't see much point in comparing what we remember from another country and can't get here, with what we CAN get.

Just struck me funny. I know: weird sense of humor. ^_^

An inside comment for my Canadian friends. Started in Ontario; was the first place to give you a "salad bar" selection of toppings, sort of like Subway. They also make the best onion rings I've ever had anywhere.

I don't recall specifically going to an In & Out or a 5 Guys, and there are other places too numerous to remember... all cookie-cutter chains. Makes one really weary after a while. From comments I've seen on this board, In & Out could easily be one of those, but right now there's no barometer... no "control" burger against which to compare. If anyone has eaten at any of the chains I did remember, here's hoping In & Out is better. If they match up in terms of flavour, then I would most definitely have a better sense of who likes what. (I mean, there are people who go absolutely bonkers for White Castle, which just makes me say "Wha...??")

If, on the other hand, the reviews I read on the Web that say In & Out beat out 53 other burger places in California as the number One (http://consumerist.com/2011/06/30/science-confirms-in-n-out-burger-is-the-best-and-mcdonalds-the-worst/), and the feeling here is that Trip's is as good as those, then there is definitely something wrong with the tastebuds of the people who took the survey. Trip's has absolutely no flavour, as far as I'm concerned. If it wasn't for the toppings, it frankly wouldn't be worthwhile.

Maybe the discussion should be "Excellent in this category/level of fast-food joint". For instance, even though The Works is a chain, and you get your order fast or at the drive-through, I wouldn't try to compare it to McDonalds... that would be like saying steak and Burker Kings are the same.

I always loved the 'char-broiled' flavour of a Harvey's hamburger. Not greasy, like ones fried on a griddle, but actually cooked over an open flame. (making my mouth water just thinking about it) And I loved how they had the big stainless steel bowls up front with all the toppings, and you could tell the server how much of each to put on your burger. And you're right, ComputerGuy, the BEST onion rings I've ever tasted! Even the jingle still goes though my head...."Harvey's makes a hamburger...a beautiful thing!"

Archived