Chapala.com Webboard

Automotive News

Not everyone will like the same mechanic or even restaurant, can't please everyone. We recommend Escalera also, have used them for 9 years and always treated us good and fair.

"Many times people have old clunkers and expect repair shops to turn them into Cadillac's"

The problem frequently seems to be that "mechanics" take in Cadillacs and turn them into old clunkers. There is no authorizing or certifying body that I know of down here such as ASE in the states. Consequently, anyone can hang up a sign that says they are a mechanic. And they do. Horror stories abound.

Ron Young is a certified mechanic from Canada. Pablo (Pablo's Garage) is a certified mechanic from the states. Other than the two of them, I don't know of ANY other certified mechanics in the Lakeside area. With a non-certified mechanic, it's a crap shoot as to whether or not he actually knows what he is doing. Even if he has done it before. My suggestion to anyone looking for a mechanic at Lakeside is to use a vehicle like this web board or TOB (The Other Board ((Inside Lakeside)) and seek out experience with people who have actually had the kind of problem you are having and who have had a successful fix by a local mechanic. Asking for and getting a generalized recommendation for a "good mechanic" at Lakeside can be devastating to your Cadillac and to your wallet.

I have been using FRATS in Chapala. Ferdy, owner, (Mexican American from Chicago) and his two Mechanics are certified Techs. He has all the diagnostic equipment. Full service. 3 lifts, and a separate full service paint and body shop. Fair prices, guaranteed work, yes really, Guarantee! Carr.San Nicolas No. 38. 1/4 mi. West side just past the Glorietta and the train station. 765-2505 331-893-4063

100% English.

Some people are satisfied, because they do not have enough mechanical knowledge to understand when

unnecessary work is being done, or if the work they are charged for was actually done., or if the charges

are appropo.. Many people are happy in Mexico if they hear English with a smile

I've never heard of a master mechanic? Is there special a special exam, a Canadian thing, or is it a border promotion? Are mechanics in Mexico not certified or do they just apprentice?

Have you ever heard of Google?

http://work.chron.com/much-schooling-master-mechanic-19484.html

http://study.com/articles/Automotive_Master_Mechanic_Job_Information_and_Requirements_for_Becoming_a_Master_Mechanic.html

Yes Joco, I've heard of Google. Even used it to try and find what a master mechanic was before I asked. I went to your sites and found references but still not confident it isn't bs. Play nice!

Play nice? You claim it is a border promotion and that the term master mechanic is made up?

Have Ron do some work for you. He is very honest and professional. If he can't do the job, he will tell you and not BS you. I haven't known of anyone unhappy with Ron's work and I have known many who were very happy that they went to him.

Escalara has two shops one in San Juan run by Juan Carlos who started it all and the original in Riberas managed by his brother or cousin Aaron (can't remember the exact relationship. I've used both locations over the years and had always been treated fairly.

Archived