Chapala.com Webboard

Recycling

dearle

I was told a couple of months ago that there is a place in Ixtlhuacan that you can take your recycling.

I use to go to the place in Riberas and drop it off but they aren't doing it anymore.

Does anyone know about this place in Ixtlhuacan? If so, would appreciate some kind of directions.

Thanks.

It might be the place where all the trash collectors take their recycling. It`s not too far after you`ve gone down the hill from Chapala on the carretera towards Guad. It`s on the right and across the street from the booths where people are selling membrillos , etc.

But in case you didn`t know, you can also bag it up and give it directly to the trash collectors. They make money from it at the place above.

Dave, no need to get upset. No matter what you believe, the trash collectors DO sort and sell recyclables.

It is helpful to them if you package separately from regular trash. However, they will sort it no matter if it is mixed in the regular trash. I have watched them doing it even as they make their rounds.

I believe that is the city dump.

Guess people here aren't interested in recycling. That's too bad.

I don't know about Lakeside but in Guadalajara we just leave recyclables on the curb and they are gone in no time.

No, dude, it´s not the city dump. It is a recycling facilty. So, you have the choice to take your recyclables to the recycling facility yourself or leave your recyclables on the curb. Either way, recycling is alive and kicking here lakeside.

Oh yeah, and, unfortunately quite necessary. They get paid very little and have to pay for some of the repairs for the trucks, like replacement for worn tires, and, I think they may have to pay for gas but I`m not sure about that. Maybe someone else knows more about that. Also unfortunately, some of the recyclables are buried in the large trash bags they don`t have the time to get to. So, folks, help out your friendly trash collectors and but your recyclables in a separate bag.

We have tons of re-cycling at (Sweets and Treats Ajijic) we take ours to San Antonio Tlacapayn,heading east towards Chapala turn right or south one street past Super-Lake,drive to the Church,turn left,drive east for three streets,turn right ,halfway down the street it curves left....it's on the right...not marked...double chain link drive in gate....set inside. It's there I promise...

The recycling guys in SAT gave me this list about a year ago. You might want to check with them to see if it's still accurate

WHAT WE COLLECT:

METALS: All kinds of cans (tuna, soup, dog food, beer, soda, etc) old pots, jars, etc

PAPER: office paper, magazines, news paper, books, notebooks, flyers, even the receipts from your shopping.

CARDBOARD: All cardboard, big and small, as long as is clean: Pizza boxes, tooth paste boxes, cake mix boxes, etc.

GLASS: Bottles, glasses, plates, jars, cups, etc.

PLASTIC: All kinds of plastic containers (water, juice, milk, cleaning supplies, shampoo, lotions etc) Plastic bags.

ELECTRONICS: Old computers, printers, screens, keyboards, tv's, etc.

APPLIANCES: All

FURNITURE: All made of plastic, metal or wood.

WE ALSO COLLECT BATTERIES AND CAR TIRES!

WHAT WE DON'T TAKE:
Kitchen residues; napkins, food, or dirty containers.
Sanitary: Used toilet paper, feminine towels, tampons, hair.
Vacuum cleaners bags (especially if they are full)
Green trash
Pet waste.
Medical waste:syringes, bandages and gauze used on medical procedures.
Oils. Grease. Explosives.
Dead animals.......or people!

Wide Sky--That list was really helpful to me. I'll start leaving these recyclables for the garbage guys separately.

But how to discard glass, like wine bottles (of which we have a few). Ever since we had a glass bottle break and tear the plastic garbage bag while taking it to the trash collection area and got a serious cut on the hand, I've worried that this can happen to a garbage guy. Since then I've actually wrapped each breakable bottle or jar (wine, juice, etc.) in a plastic bag and then put it into the garbage bag.

Am I being overly careful? Too mother-henish?

Lexy

Wide Sky--That list was really helpful to me. I'll start leaving these recyclables for the garbage guys separately.

But how to discard glass, like wine bottles (of which we have a few). Ever since we had a glass bottle break and tear the plastic garbage bag while taking it to the trash collection area and got a serious cut on the hand, I've worried that this can happen to a garbage guy. Since then I've actually wrapped each breakable bottle or jar (wine, juice, etc.) in a plastic bag and then put it into the garbage bag.

Am I being overly careful? Too mother-henish?

Lexy

I think that is very considerate Lexy.

The recycling guys in SAT gave me this list about a year ago. You might want to check with them to see if it's still accurate

WHAT WE COLLECT:

METALS: All kinds of cans (tuna, soup, dog food, beer, soda, etc) old pots, jars, etc

PAPER: office paper, magazines, news paper, books, notebooks, flyers, even the receipts from your shopping.

CARDBOARD: All cardboard, big and small, as long as is clean: Pizza boxes, tooth paste boxes, cake mix boxes, etc.

GLASS: Bottles, glasses, plates, jars, cups, etc.

PLASTIC: All kinds of plastic containers (water, juice, milk, cleaning supplies, shampoo, lotions etc) Plastic bags.

ELECTRONICS: Old computers, printers, screens, keyboards, tv's, etc.

APPLIANCES: All

FURNITURE: All made of plastic, metal or wood.

WE ALSO COLLECT BATTERIES AND CAR TIRES!

WHAT WE DON'T TAKE:

Kitchen residues; napkins, food, or dirty containers.

Sanitary: Used toilet paper, feminine towels, tampons, hair.

Vacuum cleaners bags (especially if they are full)

Green trash

Pet waste.

Medical waste:syringes, bandages and gauze used on medical procedures.

Oils. Grease. Explosives.

Dead animals.......or people!

Thanks WideSky. Fortunately, this is exactly what I've been separating out as it matches what we could recycle in the states. I'll continue as is.

• 11 months later...

Archived