Chapala.com Webboard

Live Yogurt Culture

FlyFree

I don't understand why you wouldn't just buy some yogurt that you like, and then just use some of that as a starter. I know you can buy dried powder cultures, probably specialty cultures, probably from the U.S. It is hard to find the really sour yogurts, but there is definitely a producer in Guadalajara. I can't remember the name.

edit: this might be it "Lordy", but it seems to me it was a woman's name. Let us know what you find out, maybe we can make up an order big enough to justify delivery charges. I can't find cooking yogurt, for curries, they all have too much gelatine, which melts when heated.

http://yogurtlordy.jimdo.com/productos/

The person who wrote this article says the mistake she made was adding the store bought yogurt when the milk was 180F, rather than when it cooled to 115F. Yogurt in the U.S. or Canada has to contain live culture to be legally labelled yogurt. I have made a lot of yogurt, and yogurt cheese. Also look at India recipes for "paneer" cheese - very tasty fried and super easy to make. There is raw cow's milk available locally, but I have chosen to stay well away from that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/2014/08/04/65357e8a-1778-11e4-85b6-c1451e622637_story.html

I've tried making yogurt using the store bought natural yogurts but it doesn't work.

I want to avoid gelatins which is why I need to make my own.

I used about 1/2 cup of the Greek yogurt that I bought from El Granero (beside Gossips Restaurant) when I made yogurt yesterday. El Granero sells two different kids of Greek yogurt; the one I buy is labelled "Yogur Griego Artesanal" , all natural, unsweetened, and contains 3 different probiotics.

I used about 1/2 cup of the Greek yogurt that I bought from El Granero (beside Gossips Restaurant) when I made yogurt yesterday. El Granero sells two different kids of Greek yogurt; the one I buy is labelled "Yogur Griego Artesanal" , all natural, unsweetened, and contains 3 different probiotics.

Thank you. I'll try it the next time I make yogurt.

Archived