Chapala.com Webboard

Please read the reviews and reports (by those administering to their pets).

This is a dangerous item to give your dog. Reports of Kidney and Liver damage.

Unfortunately the company will not recall due to $ and the lawsuits which would follow.

The company will keep disputing the lives lost. Do not buy this from area vets, which

have been lead to believe it is safe.

I looked this up on snopes.com and the claim by the OP is addressed as unsubstantiated. I'm seeing my vet today and will inquire.

UPDATE (no real news to report): My vet does not prescribe Bravecto, which is as I understand it, a once-a-quarter chewable because he feels the monthly chewables are about the same price per month and the dosage is distributed more evenly. He said that he has not heard anything about pet deaths but will let me know if he comes across any professional literature or chatter on the topic.

Very sorry for your loss. Our boxer died some years ago: perfectly healthy and autopsy gave no details. We still ache for her today.

http://www.snopes.com/bravecto-flea-and-tick-warning/

"As the BRAVECTO social media warning spread among dog owners, the Wilson Street Veterinary Facebook page published a status update addressing rumors about the drug's safety. In that update, Dr. Michael Mogavero stated that the drug had been extensively tested prior to its release and had proved safe for dogs:"

"As a practicing veterinarian I have prescribed this product within confidence in both its safety and efficacy. I am 100% confident that should there be any real concern with respect to this product the manufacturer will advise us without hesitation. Your pets health remain both mine and the health care team at Merck Animal Healths primary concern.""

Michael Mogavero DVM

The topical flea/tick treatments cause my dogs to have severe allergic reactions so we've been using Bravecto oral for about a year and no issues. One of the few products that deals effectively with ticks. Two of my dogs are old (9 & 11) and subject to pancreatitis so if they were going to react it would have shown up by now.

The testing is not reflective of a wide population and numbers to sufficiently back up safety.

Just like any drug that comes out, and appears safe, it is hard to pull (through the legal aspects of

accusing a company or drug) a drug for further testing. Yet many drugs eventually if human, are

pulled. Canine not so much.

http://dogthusiast.com/2015/04/30/examining-insecticides-afoxolaner-and-fluralaner-as-used-in-flea-and-tick-preventatives/

Link.Springer.com has the following study, titled:

SAFETY OF FLURALANER CHEWABLE TABLETS (BRAVECTO), a novel systemic antiparasitic drug,

in dogs after oral administration

32, 8 week healthy beagle dogs were used in this study. ONLY 24 were given the Bravecto. This test was not

on hundreds of all different breeds, ages, walks of life. 24 not being affected, reflects veryAf well the

rarity of this happening. On day 168, as part of this study, all dogs were sedated by intramuscular injection

of ketamine and xylazine, and thereafter euthanized by intravenious injection of sodium pentobarbitone as

per study plan.A complet post-mortem examination was performed on ALL dogs.

I am simply posting this not for debate, but to inform those that would appreciate this info.

It is horrible but many animals are experimented on and euthanised. That is true for human drugs as well.

http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2867&Itemid=2970

• Safety data collected during field studies in Europe and the USA showed that the product was in general well tolerated. In the European field study mild and transient diarrhea, vomiting, lack of appetite and drooling were recorded in 1.6% of dogs in the first days after treatment.

The testing is not reflective of a wide population and numbers to sufficiently back up safety.

Just like any drug that comes out, and appears safe, it is hard to pull (through the legal aspects of

accusing a company or drug) a drug for further testing. Yet many drugs eventually if human, are

pulled. Canine not so much.

http://dogthusiast.com/2015/04/30/examining-insecticides-afoxolaner-and-fluralaner-as-used-in-flea-and-tick-preventatives/

Link.Springer.com has the following study, titled:

SAFETY OF FLURALANER CHEWABLE TABLETS (BRAVECTO), a novel systemic antiparasitic drug,

in dogs after oral administration

32, 8 week healthy beagle dogs were used in this study. ONLY 24 were given the Bravecto. This test was not

on hundreds of all different breeds, ages, walks of life. 24 not being affected, reflects veryAf well the

rarity of this happening. On day 168, as part of this study, all dogs were sedated by intramuscular injection

of ketamine and xylazine, and thereafter euthanized by intravenious injection of sodium pentobarbitone as

per study plan.A complet post-mortem examination was performed on ALL dogs.

I am simply posting this not for debate, but to inform those that would appreciate this info.

Your objection to this drug doesn't make much sense to me. You referred to a magazine article in Dogthusiast which the writer said she doesn't believe what corporations tell her... that's her primary point repeated several times. At the end she gives her personal opinion that there isn't enough information on it.

The second study concludes the following:

Conclusions

Oral administration of fluralaner at the highest recommended treatment dose (56 mg/kg) at 8-week intervals is well tolerated and has a safety margin of more than five in healthy dogs eight weeks of age or older and weighing at least 2 kg.

So your opinion, which is stated as fact, is: "This is a dangerous item to give your dog." That doesn't appear to be the case from the sources that you cite.

• 1 month later...

We know firsthand about Bravecto's adverse effects. One dog lost, yet another being observed. We are not out of danger yet.

We were forced to euthanize our beautiful feisty girl, who loved life. She was only 22 month old. She experienced complete kidney failure. Outward symptoms of Chronic kidney failure, are not immediate and can take months to manifest. That time gap between dosing and symptoms is not unusual. Many will not make that connection to their dog's illness/death due to Bravecto. Our family and sweet girl, put up a fight, which consisted of IV fluids, to supply nutrients and dialysis. Blood workup on our other dog, her litter mate, showed elevated BUN levels.

Autopsy results indicated Chronic Kidney Failure. This finding ruled out congenital and acute Kidney Disease. Autopsy ruled out a poison being recently digested. The veterinarian stated that her kidneys were damaged due to a lymphoplasmacytic reaction, due to the presence of something the dog was introduced to orally. The immune system then attacked that substance relentlessly. This resulted in kidney damage over the course of weeks-months. Our other dog showed elevated levels in his blood work up. Due to that elevated BUN, our veterinarian stated this was something both dogs were introduced to orally.

We have filed reports. We feel we must notify other dog guardians. This product is sold internationally. Since Bravecto by Merck, was approved in the U.S. in 2014, a total of 5,319 ADE reports have been filed with the FDA (through January 6, 2016) including 160 reported deaths. These numbers only include ADE reports filed in the U.S. I recently found out, there is a new report due to be released. The "Does Bravecto Kill Dogs" FB group, offers the latest reports and data as it becomes available. Upon viewing the autopsy. Dr. Fox stated: I think the autopsy findings do indicate acute nephritis---white cell infiltration blicking normal kidney function. The vet should file the report with Bravecto's manufacturer and local distributor.

Dr. Fox will be doing a column with information on Bravecto risks, which should appear in the Washington Post Mid March/2016.

May other dogs be spared to enjoy life, bark, play and cuddle, as a result of this information we are sharing.

Links to the FDA adverse event reports, the Facebook group and the EMA/CVMP summary of opinion:

http://yourpetsneedthis.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Bravecto-fluralaner-ADE-report.pdf

and

https://www.facebook.com/groups/411371212394679/

and

http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Summary_of_opinion/veterinary/002526/WC500198749.pdf

It is unfortunate that people are quoting Snopes, on this subject of Bravecto. 

Vet, Michael Mogavero DVM, SELLS Bravecto,and is quoted as the main source of debunking Bravecto risks. Vet Michael Mogavero, speaks highly of both Bravecto's and Merck,  This is who Snopes quotes, to debunk claims regarding dog death and illness.  Shame on Snopes for a misleading article. Both sources (snopes and Mogavero) ignore the FDA ADE report, which documents a total of 5,319 ADE reports have been filed with the FDA (through January 6, 2016) including 160 reported deaths. I wonder what Snopes connection is with this serving as a sounding board for a DVM who is connected with Merck, and sells Merck's product. 

A vet who sells Bravecto, Michael Mogavero, states that the pharmaceutical company (Merck) will advise us if they have concerns about their product.

Cumulative effects from repeated exposure to carcinogenic chemical pesticides, may take years to surface in your loved pet. Take a moment and visit the FB Bravecto support group, and then make an educated decision.  

If you do not like your animal advocacy sugarcoated, this is a wonderful source of information: https://www.facebook.com/roger.biduk1?fref=ts

Just a mention of an alternative possibility. I have not used this product. I am going to try it for my elderly, very allergic-to-fleas dog and will report back in a month or two. The product is called Kokoty and is a small metal disk that is supposed to use bio energetic technology to repel fleas and ticks. I understand they will be available at Chili Cookoff at Cynthia Ornelas' booth.

• 2 weeks later...
On February 26, 2016 at 1:55 PM, MtnMama said:

Just a mention of an alternative possibility. I have not used this product. I am going to try it for my elderly, very allergic-to-fleas dog and will report back in a month or two. The product is called Kokoty and is a small metal disk that is supposed to use bio energetic technology to repel fleas and ticks. I understand they will be available at Chili Cookoff at Cynthia Ornelas' booth.

I am trying out yet another alternative flea preventive:

I just received my iherb order from the states for all these ingredients... much less expensive than 

buying the essential oils here.  Was told I should put this in a metal sprayer.  Here is that recipe:

Pure Neem

20 drops OF EACH of the following: 

Lemongrass Oil

Neem oil

Peppermint Oil

Citronella Oil, 

10 drops of 

Lavender Oil.

PURIFIED WATER 

16oz spray bottle

Bathe, then put the "pure" Neem oil on hands & run it thru their coat, and yes, still add it to the spray. use a 16oz spray bottle add all the oils, and fill rest w water or witch hazel w/o alcohol. No, I never use gloves, no need to. Sometimes I switch oils, and use Cedarwood, or Clove Oil rather than Citronella. The BEST thing you can ever do for your pets to keep them bug free is to keep their immune system healthy & strong!

I don't know if Comfortis is the same active ingredient as this Bravecto, but I gave my super healthy 6 year old dog Comfortis a year ago because nothing else was working on the fleas. Within 24 hrs she broke out in ulcerating sores all over her legs which took weeks to go away. I read up about the stuff (which I should have done BEFORE I gave it to her) and read of many people's dogs that had had the same reaction, and many whose dogs had gone into convulsions and died after being administered Comfortis.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the many who have offered their condolences and compassion in response to the loss of our sweet girl.  I really do appreciate your kindness.  

Many pet parents will not make the connection in their dogs illness or death, after using Bravecto.  

Many dogs are experiencing a variety of symptoms, including seizures, strokes, loss of appetite, confusion, tumors, liver and kidney problems.  Has your dog had any of these symptoms or died years after taking this (or other) pesticide?   

EMA ( European Medicines Agency )  have 4,945 reports from Bravecto there have been 299 deaths in dogs on these reports. Once given to your dog Bravecto stays in the system for 4 months plus. Bravecto states there is NO ANTIDOTE AVAILABLE.  The USA has similiar numbers in their FDA ADE reported cases. 

There are alternatives (natural - essential oils products) which can be ordered and do prevent flea infestations.  Of course you will have to spray several times a month, vs a one time spot on pesticide application.   I believe someone posted a recipe on this board for essential oils.  

I now use that on my two dogs, who have been in touch and wrestling with dogs that (unbeknown to me) had flea infestations.  My dogs walked away without any flea share!   I only spray 2x a week, though people are saying even less often, is still effective. 

Archived