Chapala.com Webboard

Recent Cost of Living Info, Chapala/Ajijic

UrbanMan

I would say that Lewis and Lewis' own rules, which they commit to a legal binding contract, trump any 'opinion' or from 'something they might have heard" many years ago:

Q. Who can drive?

A. Lewis and Lewis Tourist Mexican Auto Insurance policies are available to every one except Mexican citizens who reside permanently in Mexico*.

Eligible people include:

• Short-term visitors to Mexico.
  • Residents of Mexico who are not Mexican citizens.
  • People who work in Mexico who are not Mexican citizens.
  • People who have non-immigrant visas or permits.

(*) Mexican citizens are eligible if:

• You are a dual citizen who does not reside permanently in Mexico
  • You have a U.S. Green card and do not reside permanently in Mexico.
  • You are married to a non-Mexican citizen.

If you are unsure about your eligibility, please call us at (310) 207-7700 or (800) 966-6830, and we will be happy to review it for you.

If you are unsure about your eligibility, please call us at (310) 207-7700 or (800) 966-6830, and we will be happy to review it for you.

Q. Does my US / Canadian vehicle registration need to be current?

A. It is recommended that you have current US / Canadian registration of your vehicle, to avoid any and all problems that may arise with the Mexican authorities. However, your Lewis and Lewis Mexican Tourist Auto Insurance policy through Qualitas will be valid with or without current registration.

Many of our clients have found that when registering the vehicle in South Dakota, Vehicle registration will have to be brought current prior to settlement of a total loss claim.

Q. Do I have to carry US / Canadian insurance as well as my Mexican insurance?

A. No, you do not need to carry US / Canadian insurance for your Lewis and Lewis Mexican Tourist Auto Insurance to be valid. However, the policy you purchase from Lewis and Lewis does not cover you in the USA, Canada or outside of the Republic of Mexico.

If there are States which require current plates, as well as registration, even if that vehicle is not driven in the U.S., or not driven at all, that is ridiculous and unfair. What about car collectors or cars in storage. This not the case in British Columbia, as long as the vehicle is stored/parked on private property.

Mexican roads and safety has changed considerably over the past 13 years. There used to be RVs and campgrounds all over Mexican roads, especially on the coasts - now you hardly see any at all. Why do you think that is?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry. That does not fit current laws and rules. For example:

“Residents of Mexico who are not Mexican citizens.
People who work in Mexico who are not Mexican citizens.“ are both in error, as Permanent Resident visa holders and others with lucrativa endorsements are prohibited. Maybe L&L will insure those folks, but they should not mislead them.

Perhaps Spencer will clear this up, or correct me if I am wrong.

This might be a good time to mention that the Lewis & Lewis "underinsured option" raises your medical coverage to $20,000 U.S. per person, with a $100,000 claim limit, if you are injured by a uninsured driver. Pretty good investment for $25 per year. Medical insurance is by far the biggest concern for people living here full time. Insurance costs can be extremely low, as per Seguro Popular, or up to about $2,500 per person for premium, private insurance.

We love the buses in Puerto Vallarta, they add color to your driving experience and if you follow one you learn how to drive like a Mexican. And yes, most of the drivers are maniacs.

We love the buses in Puerto Vallarta, they add color to your driving experience and if you follow one you learn how to drive like a Mexican. And yes, most of the drivers are maniacs.

To put that in perspective though, the Siempre Libre News wrote an article this week that over 50% of all traffic accidents in Puerto Vallarta were caused by, or involved public transport. The U.S. Consulate in Guadalajara still publishes an official warning not to use public transport buses in Guadalajara. If I remember, the trains and subways, with caution. In a recent article in Guadalajara Reporter, there was an inspection of the 60 "deluxe" public transport buses in Guadalajara, which cost a higher fare. They found 30 with serious mechanical problems, 6 were pulled off the road for extreme safety reasons.

To put that in perspective though, the Siempre Libre News wrote an article this week that over 50% of all traffic accidents in Puerto Vallarta were caused by, or involved public transport. The U.S. Consulate in Guadalajara still publishes an official warning not to use public transport buses in Guadalajara. If I remember, the trains and subways, with caution. In a recent article in Guadalajara Reporter, there was an inspection of the 60 "deluxe" public transport buses in Guadalajara, which cost a higher fare. They found 30 with serious mechanical problems, 6 were pulled off the road for extreme safety reasons.

My family and millions of other Tapatios have been riding buses in Guadalajara all their lives.

The main risk from public transport is to pedestrians,that's not to say accidents don't happen but there are thousands buses here and I can get from Tonala to Zapopan for 7 pesos.

I take any warning from the US consulate here with a grain of salt.

cb why do you have so much negativity for anything in or about the United States? The US consulate sends warning to US citizens. If you think being married to a Mexican makes you exempt so be it. After living in Mexico for over 20 years I find any buss trip is not without some danger.

cb why do you have so much negativity for anything in or about the United States? The US consulate sends warning to US citizens. If you think being married to a Mexican makes you exempt so be it. After living in Mexico for over 20 years I find any buss trip is not without some danger.

bigd,you've got me all wrong,I think the US is a great country,warts and all,but the US consulate warning people not to take buses in Guadalajara is just ridiculous in my opinion as are many of their other warnings.

You will probably find you do not use your vehicle very often, even if you live in the suburbs. When you first move here you may find the idea of touring different areas in you own vehicle is attractive - you will shortly realise just how dangerous the roads and highways of Mexico are - even the comparitively expensive toll roads.

[/quote}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just drove to PV and back on the highway through Ameca, Mascota, Las Palmas, etc., and even over the oobblestones to San Sebastion. Lots of curves, up and down mountains, and all 2 lane. Didn't feel any danger, most drivers and truckers are very polite and helpful, like passing on steep upgrades. Sure you have to watch for farm equipment moving slowly but just use normal driving precaution and it's OK.

Archived