Chapala.com Webboard

need cochinilla (cochineal) Oaxacan red dye

bdmowers

OK, I know there`s about one chance in 50,000 (population of the north side of the lake?) for this, but here goes: I need some cochinilla dye (the little white dried insects used by rug weavers for red dye from Oaxaca). I will be getting some in two weeks so I can give it back to you then but I need a small quantity now. Or I could purchase it from you. Seller`s market! Thanks!

You might check with Antonieta, the Zapotec rug weaver from Oaxaca who sells daily in the Ajijic plaza. She's from Teotítlan, where they use cochinilla. If she can't sell you her own supplies, at least she might be able to inform you of where you might be able to purchase elsewhere locally.

Thanks for your suggestion, ficklepie. I know Antonietta well and she has no cochinilla here and there is no local source she or I know of.

Bmh, Antonietta`s husband, Luis, is sending me a quantity of cochinilla in a couple of weeks. I`m, however, needing a small quantity before Monday. I intend to ask Francisco if he has a "bit of the bug" here. Thanks much for your idea.

A year ago, I bought a kilo from Lucio, Antonietta`s husband, for 1,500. The price is probably higher now.

Maybe you should have some nopal handy and infect some of the palitos for a quick fix. Have you seen any in the hills here? They probably would be the silvestre type so smaller but they would work. I know we have it in Chiapas on some of the nopal I have seen in San Cristobal at the Museum of Maya Medecine so we probably have it here too in the hills-

I`ve only seen a couple of nopal pads here with cochinilla. Not hot enough here, they like intense heat all year.

I do not believe so, it gets pretty cold in Teotitlan in the winter, I have been there many times in december and getting up in the cold and not having any not water in the house, I can tell you for a fact that is is not hot there all year round.

Archived