Chapala.com Webboard

Good Veterinarian For Neutering Young Male Cat, etc.?

We were recently adopted by a beautiful, all black, short hairy, affectionate male kitten here in Joco. He looks healthy and is full of mischief. Not sure of his age but he's at the point of transitioning from kitten to young cat. Still not very big. We've fallen in love with him and are thinking about the necessity of bringing him NOB by plane when we both need to fly back to Washington.

Not sure what all he'll need. Neutering, deworming (eats like a pig and does not gain weight), first vaccinations, etc.?

Can anyone recommend a good veterinarian Lakeside that won't take us to the cleaners that might prepare him with the proper treatment and documentation necessary to pass US Customs?

I heard of a good one in San Antonio but have no name or address.

Any suggestions Mainecoons? All recommendations and advise would be greatly appreciated. It's been a long time since we've been "parents" to a Feline. We are rusty and out of practice. Never owned a cat in Mexico. Just NOB years ago.

Thanks in advance!

I agree with Glynn: Dr. Berenice will take care of your new family member and provide all necessary vaccines and pet passport/record for your travels NOB. Know, however, that the US rules to return to Mexico with a pet are more restrictive. Search online for your airline's regulations, the Aphis7001 form and also see senasica.gob.mx for Mexico's requirements for kitty's return.

You live in Joco, try Dra Leilani Ortiz, she works the Spay/Neuter clinic in San Juan Cosala each time. She worked with Dra Luz until Luz closed shop. Good vet and is located in your area. Sorry, I do not have her contact info, but can get it if you wish. She doesn't charge NOB prices either.

I agree with Glynn: Dr. Berenice will take care of your new family member and provide all necessary vaccines and pet passport/record for your travels NOB. Know, however, that the US rules to return to Mexico with a pet are more restrictive. Search online for your airline's regulations, the Aphis7001 form and also see senasica.gob.mx for Mexico's requirements for kitty's return.

another vote for Dr. Berenice. Much easier to bring a pet into the U.S. than here at GDL. We travel with one of our small dogs in the cabin. Just bring the health certificate Dr.B issues as well as his rabies certificate. Upon clearing customs in the U.S. they may or may not have you stop at the agriculture desk which just takes a few minutes. Dr. B also sells carry on kennels for you new family member. Bless you for giving him a forever home and taking him north with you and not leaving him behind to fend for himself. He will give you years of joy and love.

another vote for Dr. Berenice. Much easier to bring a pet into the U.S. than here at GDL. We travel with one of our small dogs in the cabin. Just bring the health certificate Dr.B issues as well as his rabies certificate. Upon clearing customs in the U.S. they may or may not have you stop at the agriculture desk which just takes a few minutes. Dr. B also sells carry on kennels for you new family member. Bless you for giving him a forever home and taking him north with you and not leaving him behind to fend for himself. He will give you years of joy and love.

Well, it looks like the vote is in. Thanks to all of you for your experienced advise, Dr. Bernice it is.

Joyfull, we can't really take any credit here since the little guy made the decision to adopt us! He showed fortitude and persistence in squeezing through our gated entry somehow, into our laundry/wash area and announcing himself boldly. This deserves a certain degree of respect and admiration and is a reflection on the little guys character. I've never in my adult life sought out any pet. They've all come to me in one way or another. I leave these relationships up to providence. They've all turned out to be the most fulfilling and wonderful companions as a result. This method seems to work pretty well with Humans too. That's how I found my wife........! Thanks for your kind words anyway.

Young male cats CAN be neutered very early, but it is not at all good for the development of their overall physiological system.

Better you wait until around 6 months of age --- and the testicles have come down from inside the lower belly to the testicular sac. Sometimes you have to bide your time a little -- if only one comes down, you cross your fingers that the other one soon follows, or the cat will need a "double" surgery" -- one to remove the apparent testicle, and another abdominal incision (same time) to search out the missing one. AND it has to be totally intact. If even a teensy little fragment is left, you are in for trouble down the road......and might as well not ever have neutered him.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE -- we adopted a cat years ago (1 1/2 years old, apparently neutered, by ???). At FIVE years of age, he suddenly developed very tom-catty symptoms -- spraying, but with STINKY un-neutered male cat urine. By then it was impossible to do an internal search, and I don't want to tell you the rest of the sad story.

So while you can worm and flea and take good care of your little one, be sure you don't be too hasty in the surgical step.

Young male cats CAN be neutered very early, but it is not at all good for the development of their overall physiological system.

Better you wait until around 6 months of age --- and the testicles have come down from inside the lower belly to the testicular sac. Sometimes you have to bide your time a little -- if only one comes down, you cross your fingers that the other one soon follows, or the cat will need a "double" surgery" -- one to remove the apparent testicle, and another abdominal incision (same time) to search out the missing one. AND it has to be totally intact. If even a teensy little fragment is left, you are in for trouble down the road......and might as well not ever have neutered him.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE -- we adopted a cat years ago (1 1/2 years old, apparently neutered, by ???). At FIVE years of age, he suddenly developed very tom-catty symptoms -- spraying, but with STINKY un-neutered male cat urine. By then it was impossible to do an internal search, and I don't want to tell you the rest of the sad story.

So while you can worm and flea and take good care of your little one, be sure you don't be too hasty in the surgical step.

Thank you so much for this advise, I had no idea but it makes total sense.

His scrotum seems to be filled but I guess the only way to make sure is to feel for them or ask the vet? I'm not even sure how to determine his age, I've only had 2 cats in the past, both females and years ago. He looks to be a teenager, not quite kitten and not quite adult yet. What age would this make him I wonder? I better do a little research in the mean time.

I'm NOB since Sunday so I'll have my wife take him to check out with instructions to hold the knife until sure of age. She's Mexican and has another attitude towards pets and I won't even bother to ask her to check him first. She would not be crazy about fondling the young man I'm sure and would regard the suggestion of it quite "gringo nuts" and disgusting I'm sure.

Thank you Natasha!

Thank you so much for this advise, I had no idea but it makes total sense.

His scrotum seems to be filled but I guess the only way to make sure is to feel for them or ask the vet? I'm not even sure how to determine his age, I've only had 2 cats in the past, both females and years ago. He looks to be a teenager, not quite kitten and not quite adult yet. What age would this make him I wonder? I better do a little research in the mean time.

I'm NOB since Sunday so I'll have my wife take him to check out with instructions to hold the knife until sure of age. She's Mexican and has another attitude towards pets and I won't even bother to ask her to check him first. She would not be crazy about fondling the young man I'm sure and would regard the suggestion of it quite "gringo nuts" and disgusting I'm sure.

Thank you Natasha!

If you can "feel" them, and they are the size of frozen green peas or larger, you can do the deed! Just be sure you can feel TWO.....

Archived